or Connect

Posts by robbyx

It's interesting that not one of the corporate-hating, big government/nanny state-loving people posting here can answer the simple question of why Apple (or any other corporation) should be taxed AGAIN on income that has already been taxed? As others have pointed out, Apple has already PAID taxes on this income in other countries. I'd like for one of the big government liberals to explain why Apple should pay taxes again. It's no wonder that our country is failing...
NeXT dumped hardware, ported NeXTSTEP to other hardware platforms and eventually, in cooperation with Sun (of all companies!), created OPENSTEP, a framework that could be installed on WindowsNT, Solaris, etc. This was before Java and pretty soon Sun lost interest in OPENSTEP. And then the Apple deal happened. Had NeXT not been bought by Apple, OPENSTEP might have survived as a niche player for custom app development. Maybe.
I'm not sure I'd say that Apple acquired NeXT's IP and talent. More like Apple paid NeXT to take them over. Look at how many senior Apple employees were given the boot and replaced by their NeXT counterparts. Perhaps the most brilliant tech deal ever.
Comments like this crack me up. Apple is even worse than Bill Gates when they have no competition? How can you even say this? It makes absolutely no sense. Competition is good, sure. But enough of this free marketeer b.s. about how without competition, everything turns to garbage. Repeat the mantra all you want, but that doesn't make it true. I don't think Jobs cares one bit about his competition. He's always led the pack, whether he was financially successful...
Yeah, but Apple doesn't whine and cry like Google. They'd rather build great products and lead the pack than be another crybaby copycat. Google is for people with no taste, who do not appreciate design as art, who just want it (whatever it is) cheap/free. I've stopped using them. No more Google search. No Google apps. I don't like them as a company. Not that any company is without fault, but Google is especially slimy. Personally, I think this was one dumb move for...
Me too. I always wondered why 3DKit was abandoned.
Tricked??? Are you high? Apple pretty much saved the music industry from its own ignorance, greed and shortsightedness. The TV/film industry is just alienating more and more viewers at this point by making it hard to get content. Sorry guys, but 99% of your content is crap and many of us refuse to pay $100/month for content we don't want. I disconnected cable two years ago and haven't missed it. And if the studio bozos won't put it on Hulu or iTunes, I'm fine with...
Give me a break. No one has been insensitive. Stating the obvious isn't being insensitive. He was obese. That's obvious from photos. No doubt a great guy who will be hugely missed, but we shouldn't be afraid to address the WHY. Americans have become so incredibly fearful. We're afraid to talk about anything serious lest we offend. If Olivier's passing and subsequent discussion of why a 41 year old drops dead leads others to change their ways and live healthier lives,...
I saw one of these banners this morning and, honestly, it just makes no sense. There's nothing clever or captivating about the campaign. It's just rather bizarre and nonsensical. I can see why Microsoft wants to take a jab at Apple pricing, but I don't feel these ads accomplished their goal in the least. Just weird. You'd think by now that Microsoft might try a different ad agency or a completely different approach, but they clearly lack the vision. Shocker.
I recently purchased a new Mac Mini to replace my Apple TV. Since I won't be using iLife on the Mini (just Front Row, plus Plex and maybe a few other media center apps), I'd like to install iLife09 on my MacBook Pro. Unfortunately, the DVD does not allow for installation on another computer. Does anyone know how to install iLife09 using another machine's restore DVD? I've tried copying the apps, but that doesn't work. I've also tried extracting the installers...