or Connect

Posts by robbyx

Generally speaking, I find FileMaker upgrades to be a total rip-off, save the jump to version 7. They introduce a few nice new features, then charge more than 50% to upgrade. Improvements are modest at best, yet users pay again and again and again. This time around, however, I think FileMaker has delivered a very worthwhile upgrade. Script Triggers are almost worth buying the program again at full price. I've spent so much time writing scripted data entry solutions...
My guess is that the poster - and others - want to CUT and PASTE a file, ie: move it.
I agree completely. I so miss the shelf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And LocalApps, NetworkApps, LocalLibrary, NetworkLibrary, etc. It worked so well!!! NeXT was way ahead of its time. I still miss my slick Turbo station. What a beauty!!! And while OS X is a pretty awesome OS at this point, I wish we hadn't lost so much of the NeXT UI. I still prefer the menu block, with tear-away menus, to Apple's menu bar any day. And I really liked how the dock was for apps and...
And HOW LONG have we been waiting for this? Sheesh. NEXTSTEP's Workspace Manager was already Cocoa...before Cocoa was Cocoa. Why didn't they just build on that in the first place? My Finder Wishlist: 1. An end to all the hangs when dealing with servers and shared folders!!! 2. A system-wide tagging architecture 3. The ability to browse documents and data using a tag cloud Good riddance, Carbon.
The web should be OPEN, not proprietary. Apple recognizes this. Maybe if Adobe open-sourced Flash, there'd be more interest. Otherwise, I don't think it's ever going to happen. And that's just fine with me. As the web becomes increasingly mobile, developers will have no choice but to move away from Flash to open standards. And, frankly, show me one Flash site that isn't bloated, slow, and, in the end, a waste of time. Sure, all of that nifty interactivity is cool,...
Interesting thread. I'm learning a lot. :-) So, if Apple TV's audio options are so weak, what's a better box? I've tried several other network media players and they're all pretty dreadful. I've got a JVC Kuro-Obio box, but I've never really taken to it. The UI is horrendous. But, it offers a lot more than Apple TV... Curious as to what other people are using, like, don't like?
Fair enough, but I'd argue that the majority of consumers aren't really concerned with upgrading from a 23" display to a 30" one. Like I said, there's a small niche of people who want the latest and greatest everything, who want to live on the bleeding edge, who want extreme upgrade flexibility, etc. The vast majority of users, however, don't care. For them, the iMac is an amazing design - compact, somewhat portable, quiet, stylish, and still a very capable performer.
It's my understanding that Apple TV does support multi-channel audio. HandBrake offers several options when ripping (including Dolby Surround and Pro Logic II). It's as much about what Apple TV supports as what your receiver supports. Apple TV also supports AAC 5.1, but most receivers don't (yet) support it - and that's not really Apple TV's fault.
I'm curious, why wouldn't you buy a desktop with a built-in screen? What's the downside? I love my iMac. No clunky tower under my desk, low noise, small footprint on the desk. I really don't see anything bad about the design, save the lack of expansion slots (which most users don't need/want anyway). You're using a laptop (a computer with a built-in screen), so how does the iMac not satisfy your needs? Just curious. I agree to a point re: the Apple TV. Have you used...
Agreed. I'm hoping for a mini-like machine with a MultiLane SATA port for connecting external drives, RAID, etc. A true home server. No more daisychained FireWire and USB! And it needs to be cheaper. As else someone pointed out, current mini pricing is ridiculous. For a few hundred dollars more, why not get an iMac? The mini needs to be around $500. I don't think there's anything wrong with the mini concept, just Apple's current implementation of it. Make it a true...