or Connect

Posts by robbyx

I'm sorry, but business doesn't work this way.  If you're buying a house, do you just pay market value?  No, you make an offer.  If you're leasing commercial space, do you just sign on the dotted line?  No, you negotiate.  If you're interviewing for a job, do you just take what they offer?  Or do you tell them what you need to become part of their team?   Apple has every right to seek out a deal that benefits them financially.  After all, they are bringing jobs to the...
  Oh really?  Then I suppose you don't claim any deductions on your personal tax returns, right?  I'm not married.  Are you?  Do you get a break because you chose to get married?  I don't have kids either.  Do you get a break because you chose to have kids?  Do you own a home?  Are you getting a mortgage deduction?  Doesn't seem fair to the people who rent, does it?
I live in the area (Tahoe) and fully support Apple coming to Reno.  Reno is in desperate need of major change.  We need new industries here, new businesses, new types of businesses.  If Apple's data center helps to draw more technology companies to Reno, the long-term benefit will be far greater than any calculation can currently measure.  Reno is a short 1 hour flight from the SF bay area and the Reno airport is a dream.  There is also endless outdoor recreation within...
It's interesting that not one of the corporate-hating, big government/nanny state-loving people posting here can answer the simple question of why Apple (or any other corporation) should be taxed AGAIN on income that has already been taxed? As others have pointed out, Apple has already PAID taxes on this income in other countries. I'd like for one of the big government liberals to explain why Apple should pay taxes again. It's no wonder that our country is failing...
NeXT dumped hardware, ported NeXTSTEP to other hardware platforms and eventually, in cooperation with Sun (of all companies!), created OPENSTEP, a framework that could be installed on WindowsNT, Solaris, etc. This was before Java and pretty soon Sun lost interest in OPENSTEP. And then the Apple deal happened. Had NeXT not been bought by Apple, OPENSTEP might have survived as a niche player for custom app development. Maybe.
I'm not sure I'd say that Apple acquired NeXT's IP and talent. More like Apple paid NeXT to take them over. Look at how many senior Apple employees were given the boot and replaced by their NeXT counterparts. Perhaps the most brilliant tech deal ever.
Comments like this crack me up. Apple is even worse than Bill Gates when they have no competition? How can you even say this? It makes absolutely no sense. Competition is good, sure. But enough of this free marketeer b.s. about how without competition, everything turns to garbage. Repeat the mantra all you want, but that doesn't make it true. I don't think Jobs cares one bit about his competition. He's always led the pack, whether he was financially successful...
Yeah, but Apple doesn't whine and cry like Google. They'd rather build great products and lead the pack than be another crybaby copycat. Google is for people with no taste, who do not appreciate design as art, who just want it (whatever it is) cheap/free. I've stopped using them. No more Google search. No Google apps. I don't like them as a company. Not that any company is without fault, but Google is especially slimy. Personally, I think this was one dumb move for...
Me too. I always wondered why 3DKit was abandoned.
Tricked??? Are you high? Apple pretty much saved the music industry from its own ignorance, greed and shortsightedness. The TV/film industry is just alienating more and more viewers at this point by making it hard to get content. Sorry guys, but 99% of your content is crap and many of us refuse to pay $100/month for content we don't want. I disconnected cable two years ago and haven't missed it. And if the studio bozos won't put it on Hulu or iTunes, I'm fine with...