or Connect

Posts by robbyx

I don't think anyone considers Apple to be "affordable luxury" as you state.  It's not out of reach.  You can get a free iPhone, maybe not the latest model, but you can get an earlier generation for free.  I see plenty of people who definitely can't afford anything "luxury" talking away on their iPhones.  Neither the perception that it is a luxury good, nor the price, drives Apple's iPhone sales.  A better user experience and mindshare does.  iPhone is to "smart phones"...
 Do you really think anyone seriously considers the Apple Watch to be a piece of "fine" jewelry?  It's a nice watch, but it most definitely does not scream "luxury".  And why on Earth would Apple want to go after the luxury category anyway?  They are a consumer electronics company.  If their primary motivation in creating the Watch was to break into the luxury goods market, they need to reexamine priorities ASAP.  That screams vanity and ego, not smart business.
Apple may not NEED to own Tesla, but since when does Apple do partnerships?  If they are getting into the car business, they are going to want own it.  As you rightly suggest, with Apple bankrolling Tesla, the Model 3 could be a reality sooner than Tesla's promised 3-4 years.  Yes, Apple can reinvent the wheel and do it themselves, or they can jump to the front of the line.  That's my take anyway.
 Most definitely.  And understandably so.  But what happens before these cars even get on the road?  How do they handle life and death decisions?  For example, a self driving car is cruising down the highway and out of nowhere a kid on a bike comes flying into the road.  What does the car do?  Should it hit the kid?  Only one casualty.  If it swerves, it will impact the car in the next lane and perhaps send it into oncoming traffic, thus risking more lives than the kid on...
I agree that shareholders shouldn't be concerned about Watch numbers at the moment.  That said, Apple hyped the Watch so much that it's understandable that shareholders, and even the general public, are interested in numbers.  A lot of people were expecting a big hit, maybe not iPhone big, but big nonetheless.  I'm curious why you think the category is worth pursuing, though?  I don't think smart watches will ever be a mainstream product category.  Wearables as a category...
I partly agree. I think it will be a long time before self driving cars are possible in many parts of the world, but I think that has more to do with the human drivers in those places and the lack of traffic rules and enforcement. As you said, reliability.But in the U.S., Europe, Japan, etc, I think self driving vehicles are very possible in all areas, not just the cities. If anything, dealing with rural highways will probably be easier as there are far fewer potential...
Everything is temporary. But we never go back. If anything, the man/machine integration of the future is going to be made possible by the narcissism of today.
Buy Tesla. Own the "gigafactory". Build all Apple device batteries in the U.S. Build cars in the U.S. Have a network of several thousand high speed charging stations already built out. Tesla and Apple have always seemed a compatible fit. If Apple is serious about cars, Tesla brings a lot more to the table than a partnership with BMW.
None of these Jobs movies much interest me. At this point, seriously, we know the stories, we know he could be a jerk. I don't see the point. The Jobs drama is more interesting to me, but I'll still probably wait for Netflix unless the overall consensus is brilliant.
They need the good sheeple to be afraid, to not understand that it is OUR actions, year after year, decade after decade, that not only created this "terrorist" problem but makes it worse every day. But it's profitable. Very profitable. So don't expect the narrative to change, much less for anyone in government to act sensibly.