or Connect

Posts by ecs

Nope. Microsoft didn't "beat" QuickDraw3D (Apple chose OpenGL rather than Direct3D for replacing QD3D, and not because it was "beaten", but because OpenGL was a industry standard that everybody needed to support). Also, AltiVec wasn't "beaten" by anybody. It's just Apple who decided to drop it on their platform after having convinced all developers that they needed to use it if they wanted the best performance in Macs. And Cocoa is not what I call "proprietary" (at least...
Oh, no, please, everything but JavaScript!!!  I'd rather prefer OSF/Motif (and seriously). Jokes aside, I don't consider Cocoa a proprietary API. Cocoa is just NeXTSTEP, which was made open through OpenStep, and used as a standard by several vendors at the time (at least available for Windows NT and Solaris). In fact, even today you can use the Cocoa API without a Mac, because there's GNUstep. Now you can argue that Metal is so incredibly revolutionary it will change our...
 Why do you think I don't know OpenCL? Did you read the article? I quote the line of interest here:
Nope. Abandoning standards is bad for end users, because less app developers are going to do an effort in releasing an app for several platforms if each platform needs a custom API and/or a major rewrite. This is exactly the war that both Google and Apple are trying to win: divide the developers so that they can no longer maintain several platforms with little cost. Turn it expensive to maintain several platforms simultaneously. And try to convince developers to write apps...
Yeah, sure, "openness"... changing the current Apple direction by abandoning standards and going proprietary APIs and languages is called "openness". Last year we were told at the WWDC that we _should_ be using OpenCL. Now we're told the future is called Metal. Don't be fooled, the A7/A8 could get from a properly optimized OpenGL/OpenCL implementation the same performance benefits, or higher, than Metal. The only reason Apple introduced proprietary stuff now is to fight...
And can you explain why you cannot use C/C++ without an Intel CPU? Most of my lines of C/C++ code have been written and used without Intel processors. All this hype about proprietary nonstandard technologies is nonsense. Do you remember AltiVec? At one point it was assumed you were a dead developer if you didn't optimize your code with AltiVec.And QuickDraw3D? Do you remember that too? And Carbon? And objective C? The same remains true for all proprietary tech outside of...
I learnt a long time ago that it's always a bad idea to use custom non-standard APIs or languages, unless you encapsulate all the nonportable stuff into insulated code. In other words, I won't use swift nor metal, unless I really need it for some feature, and it such case I'll encapsulate it in a clearly isolated module which doesn't affect the C/C++/OpenGL/OpenCL code. It's a bad direction IMHO. They're copying Google by moving to nonstandard tech. When the Mac Pro was...
This article looks like "please don't get upset today if there isn't anything new"
While I dislike Office, I've tried several alternatives over the years, and Office is the only one that really guarantees total compatibility, and that everything works just like on the display of your colleagues and customers. So, even if this study found 70% of the time is spent on viewing and light editing, however Office is still the best way of doing that. I said I dislike Office. Yes. But in my opinion, in order to switch to better software, the world needs to get...
I find this article meaningful, and I share OWC views that the CPU is user upgradeable, because when you hear "user upgradeable" you don't expect to be able to upgrade to a next generation component which comes with a new interface incompatible with the previous generation. If the new Mac Pro was like the older one, upgrading to a next generation CPU would also imply throwing its whole motherboard to the trashcan (or maybe you can put the latest Xeon on your 2006 Mac...