or Connect

Posts by ecs

I don't see any substantial market for watches that have a battery time of one day or even in the case of the rumored Apple watch, 5 days. It's a joke that you have to charge your watch everyday or even every weekend. However, I see a good point in these watches: offering you nice time readings. The market of digital watches has been reduced a lot, and it's really hard to find a cool digital watch nowadays. With these smart watches you could configure a nice looking time...
While I see differences in saturation, the example chosen isn't good, because it doesn't show loss of shades. A good example would be one that shows 16 shades of red in one display while the other just distinguishes -say- 12 shades. But if I need to display 255 different shades of red, the example shown doesn't tell if the gamut will be clamped on the Mini
The SGI Crimson was the SGI I always dreamt of having. This red Mac Pro remembers me of it (except for the size -the Crimson was deskside- and that it's metallic). But my favorite color for the new Mac Pro would be WHITE. For me, Apple means WHITE. I miss the white Apples a lot.
This makes me think that a Haswell i7 Mac Mini would be great: even more silent than the current generation (ie: the fan would spin less)
One thing I'm really interested is to see a test of a new Mac Pro, running some task with all cores at 100% and both GPUs at 100% too (maybe some OpenCL task, like LuxRender, which can use all CPU cores and all GPUs as OpenCL devices), and running that busy for at least a couple of hours in a room at, let's say, 28 degrees Celsius.   Then, after such pair of hours, report temperatures from thermal sensors, as well as fan noise (compared to the idle noise).   Not that I...
Yes, GPU computing works well for audio. If Apple could afford having a dozen engineers working full time in implementing audio processing with the GPUs, a subset of filters or effects could be implemented in OpenCL by the time the Mac Pro is released.
If they added some OpenCL filters for some audio processing on Logic Pro, it would be awesome. Even if they begin by just accelerating an small subset of filters, it would be very helpful for convincing the public that the dual GPUs are also useful for audio...
 I guess you're right. I bought SGI workstations in the 90s, so this new Mac Pro is way more affordable than the prices SGI usually gave me, which were always shocking, specially when you wanted textured graphics (until they released the O2, when hardware textured graphics became affordable, at about $6000, and this is my favorite machine I've ever owned). However, quite a few years have passed, and I don't see myself paying the same price of an O2, no matter how I loved...
The only thing I'm beginning to dislike about this new design is that Apple doesn't offer "triangle modules" so that you could update your Mac Pro later. I think it would attract users who never bought a $3000 machine before. For example, if there's a new generation of Xeons two years from now, just changing the CPU triangle module you could have an up to date Mac Pro at a fraction of the cost, making the original $3000 investment a wise price even for those users who...
I like it. I never had a Xeon before, but I'm looking for a powerful Mac desktop without display, so for me is either the Mac Pro or a Hackintosh. I like this Mac Pro, the only thing I dislike is the entry model being quad core. If I enter Xeon, I'd like to have at least 6 cores, so that my investment lasts more years. But the jump to 6 cores is $1000 more, and that pricing becomes too hard for me. Also, as others said, I also prefer NVIDIA, but I understand Apple got a...