or Connect

Posts by ecs

Cook didn't say that (he didn't say "google maps will be a app in the app store soon").   I think it's an unfortunate letter from Tim Cook.   First, if you're really so confident about your decisions in such a way you believe you can improve your product by doing the opposite to your users preferences, it's absurd to write this apology letter (I can't imagine Jobs writing it).   Second, if you really wished to apologize, you've to put a remedy, and the remedy your users...
Patents just cause harm to small developers, but it's totally harmless to big companies. The patents game is the game they play. So don't call it "patent troll", it's just another game in the season, and they're well fitted to play it. So, I'd say "good move" to the business who started this, and "now it's your turn" to Apple. Yes, it's a boring game, though.
  It's not the media. It's us, Apple users. I'll be very happy to switch to IOS Maps, because Apple products are always higher quality than the competitors, but I'll do it when it's ready. In the meantime, don't force us to travel back in time losing the features we were used to, specially when you could very easily keep Google Maps while you were polishing IOS Maps. On every forums I visit, I don't see the media over-dramatizing, I just see Apple users who disagree with...
  I really hope Google follows this strategy. Current Apple management needs to feel the consequences of going against the user base. They've done too many things ignoring the user needs recently, and I really hope Google plays their cards well and increases users ire against Apple management.   If Google releases a Maps for IOS 6, it would be really good for everybody: Either Apple admits the app, acknowledging their mistake, and allowing all of us to use Gmaps on IOS 6,...
Any idea on whether Xcode 4.5 will be released today too?
  Unless Apple doesn't reject Google apps at the AppStore, I'd say Google go and release a tablet where Google Earth really shines, with StreetView, and with never seen multitouch gestures on it. Such tablet should be the iPad IMHO, but if Apple pretends to avoid it, please Google go, go, go!! and release the tablet where Google Earth and Street View shine!!
  You didn't read how Flyover is generated, did you?  It doesn't suffice with satellite imagery. If it only needed sat pics, of course the whole World could be automatically updated in 3D very quickly. In addition to sat maps, they also need footage from planes flying at low altitude (otherwise they wouldn't have images for the facades, they'd only have the roofs).    So, you think it's "much more easier" to send low altitude camera planes to the 47 countries...
  Really? I thought the article said there was a reasonable doubt that Google Maps with StreetView could be accepted in the AppStore. Maybe I didn't read it right. Of course I'll be happy if the AppStore has an app with StreetView.
  That would be too easy, as Brussels is a big city and I'd expect them to have it in flyover soon, or maybe they already have it (well, let's be frank here: I expect them to already have Brussels, Paris, London, etc... or otherwise they don't have a product at all).   I'd better ask for (say) Dundalk, Ireland (yes, it's on StreetView, as well as most -if not all- towns with >500 people population on all countries who didn't ban SV).   The (very small) group of people...
  Then, if it isn't the same, and the purposes aren't the same, why write this article like if Flyover makes StreetView obsolete?   If I wish to know how an address is, I don't want a continuous flyover over a big area with low-quality imagery data, no matter how cool it is. I want such a level of detail that makes it necessary to blur faces or license plates. So, such need to blur is not a disadvantage (as you seem to imply), but the consequence of the level of detail I...