or Connect

Posts by ecs

No please, not another CPU migration, please. I've always loved custom hardware (I've been an SGI user for many years, and I felt it really sad when their colorful machines failed in the market), but the reality of the market nowadays is this: If you want to succeed in the hardware market, use the same components that most people use in the world. If you go custom, you go towards your own, "customized" total failure of your business. And, of course, not to mention...
I'm very happy to see these benchmarks because they show the beginning of the end of the belief that MBAs can't be used for anything serious. It will be hard to completely eradicate that belief, but it's just a matter of time, and these benchmarks mark the start point. Regarding your post stating you won't buy a MBP again, if you say it because you dislike how soon a new machine can outperform a previous one, take also into consideration that if you want a powerful MBA...
I thought the battery in the 13-inch models was similar in both the MBA and MBP, at least the marketing wording names both as "7 hour lasting" (and I can tell you that my late 2010 13-inch MBA lasts for nearly 7 hours on battery)
I also have Unarchiver, but I need to archive as well, not only unarchive.
I'm looking for an archiving (compress+uncompress) tool for OSX, with these features: - Support for at least 7z and ZIP (other formats like RAR would be a plus). - Capable of splitting in fixed size volumes. - Progress bar with estimated remaining time The closest candidate I found is BetterZip, but however it doesn't show the remaining time, and I'd like to have that feature. I also tried iArchiver. Good candidate, but can't split in volumes, and I really need that...
Nope. This finite element code doesn't run on Windows yet. It runs on UNIX and OSX. So, in the Acer it ran under Linux (64bit Linux to be more exact). And, believe me, this Linux distro was really optimized. Also, this finite element software is custom: I compile it on each system I use, optimizing it the best I can.Well, apart from doing work which *is* CPU intensive (ask out there what finite element problems require 4GB RAM to be solved), I also use my laptops as...
I had a 3-year old Acer with Core2 Duo at 2.66GHz. One of the tasks I used it for was finite element analysis, with matrices which often needed 4GB RAM to be solved. I also used it for OpenGL graphics.When I considered moving to the MBA with 2.13GHz, everybody (even the Apple store guy!!) told me it wasn't the laptop for me, because it was going to be slower (the processor was ULV, and also 2.13 is less than 2.66, and the NVIDIA 320M was an integrated GPU.I bought the MBA...
Thanks a lot for your advice. The motherboard is in great condition, and I'm sad to see it so much slower than when it was new. This Summer I'll try a fresh reinstall in order to get its brand-new performance. Thanks for the advice!
SL boots in a few seconds (less than 10 seconds I guess) on my machine (MBA). I've the 2.13GHz CPU and 4GB RAM. Performance is great for the work I do, but I work with large files very often, so I'm afraid that if Lion takes more RAM than SL, my MBA could become to behave as the "netbook" that some say the MBA is, instead of the MBP-like performance I'm getting from it now. The most important feature I wanted from Lion is TRIM support, because I want to get the most...
I've been reading these months that Lion is faster than 10.6.x. However, the rumor saying Lion will ship next week, says Apple has told stores to upgrade RAM in their showroom machines. This makes me think that it will take more to boot, and be "heavier" than 10.6.x. If it's heavier, I won't upgrade, because 10.6.x is very efficient with the RAM I have. In that case I prefer to hold 10.6.x and wait until I buy another Mac on the future. Thanks!!