or Connect

Posts by ecs

I hoped the new Mac Pro announce was going to increase the quality and interest of rumors, but now I understand the "Apple fan" is just an iPhone fan nowadays. When Apple releases the rumored cheapophone, then they'll be mad about the watch toy, and later about the cheapowatchtoy. Very demanding fans. Hopefully, when the new Mac Pro is released, I'll have less need for entering these phone fans sites.
  Unless they managed to get very low prices for the components, the price is going to be high. Just add all what they announced, and you easily climb to $5000+   It has more than double the sugar of the current Mac Pro, so price can be double as well (two top-of-the-line GPUs, very fast flash, new Itanium, etc...)   I'll love to buy one, because it's just what I need, but I'm a bit afraid of prices...
Did anybody realize Mr Kuo only tells rumors for stuff that has momentum? Until a week ago, Mr Kuo ignored the Mac Pro like if it wasn't relevant in the keynote. Now he comes happy to announce rumors about the Mac Pro production. What a boy!
Of all the things announced in the keynote, this is the only feature I don't like 100%, unless you can disable/enable it when you really need it. I agree it can be useful when I try to do stuff which would need much more RAM than I have, but I'm the kind of user who sizes the stuff I do accordingly to the resources I have. I usually move close to the limits of my RAM, but without needing disk swapping, I only hit disk swapping on very rare occasions. So, I don't like the...
Of course I remember the O2. Together with my MacBook Air, they're the best computers I owned (for different reasons, though: the O2 because of having IRIX on a small form factor, while being able to use up to 1GB of textures in hardware accelerated OpenGL (because of UMA), and I also loved its blue box. I did a lot of very useful stuff with that machine. And the MacBook Air allows me to have almost desktop features with the weight close to an iPad. I also owned more...
Btw, I just read a new headline at AI telling the new MBA also has PCIe flash storage. This might mean the flash storage in the new Mac Pro will perhaps not be as expensive as I was fearing...
  Yes... but... if you remove the Xeon, the GPUs, and the flash, I guess the remains is less than $1000. However, when you put on it the Xeon, the two GPUs, and the flash (all of them next generation components)... price becomes worrying.   See it this way: a full equipped iMac, with 512GB SSD, is at more than 3K. And it has only one GPU (with 2GB), an i7, and 32MB of cheaper RAM. Yes, it has a 27inch display, but if you discount it, I don't think you get below...
  Define "box only".
  Actually, I could use Linux for my work (it's been my everyday OS for number crunching not long ago), but, even if I choose Linux, I believe I'd still buy this new Mac Pro better than a PC. Why? Thermal design, silence, and performance. There's no way I can have such three things with a PC. The new Mac Pro is the best choice. Even if I wasn't going to use OSX, I'd still choose it (IIRC, a massive lot of Windows people consider Macbooks are the best laptops for using...
  Yes, people expecting below-$2500 prices aren't doing the math: If you put the price of a new generation Xeon, plus two new gen AMD boards, plus flash storage which is much faster than the newest SSDs, plus very fast RAM... I hate to tell this, but I cannot see all of this fitting below 3K. But I hope the entry isn't at 5K either. The closer they approach to 5K, the closer they'll get to the G4 cube failure. The more they approach 2K in the entry model, the more the'll...