or Connect

Posts by ecs

Regarding your wish of 16GB RAM on your laptop, you might consider my experience on laptops vs desktops:   I've been an advocate of replacing desktops by laptops for some years now. However, I've changed my opinion this last year. Why? Well, because the latest hardware runs *hot*. I'm very happy with my MacBook Air, use it everyday, and it's the best computer I've owned in terms of balance between comfort and performance. But, when I push it to 100% CPU or 100% GPU, its...
That's not true. Last Christmas I did a draft of the PC I'll build if Apple fails to release the computer I need. So I did a configuration with the fastest i7 available, a 4GB NVIDIA card, 512 GB SSD, and a good PSU. The price, from a low cost provider was into the $1600 range. Any PC user who wants to build a good computer for gaming, rendering, music production, video, photo, etc, aim for a configuration like the one I mention, so in the $1500 - $1600 range. So, yes, a...
And, btw, all this "low Mac sales" worries wouldn't exist if Apple took the late 2012 Mac Mini, made it a bit taller so that a good NVIDIA GPU fits in there, and add a 512 GB SSD option for it. Sell that for $1900 and you have a PC killer right there. Low sales gone instantly. Yes, you would cannibalize the iMac by doing that, as well as the single-chip Mac Pros, but... Why worry on cannibalization on the Mac line if you accept it on the iOS line? A new Mac desktop line...
Do you really mean what you said? Do you really mean there're 17 users globally who use the Mac for movie encoding, for composing music, for ray tracing, for CAD, and for gaming?If that's the case, and there're only 17 musicians, CAD users, video editors, and gamers, there's no market for the MacBook Pro. Even the MacBook Air seems to be out of the market if that was reality.However, that's not reality. Reality is that there're thousands of musicians and DJs using...
Obviously, not everybody has a great display, but most current desktop users I know have a very good (and *big*, usually bigger than 21 inch) display. Being forced to buy an "all in one" looks nonsense when you already have the display you need. This wasn't true in the past, because we were in the transition from CRTs or from small LCDs, but that's not the market reality anymore.People who don't want an "all in one" don't want a Mini, because the Mini is less powerful in...
I believe the Mac desktops are to blame. It's wrongly designed in this moment. Current Mac desktops assume you either want laptop performance, or you want an "all in one machine", or otherwise you want a Xeon. All these assumptions are plain wrong, because: -People looking for a desktop don't want laptop performance. Otherwise they wouldn't buy a desktop, but a MacBook (Pro or Air) and plug it to a big display if needed. -Most people don't want an "all in one" in this...
iHat (top-of-the-head iOS experience) iCarbonara (first eatable iOS release in history. It tells you "please don't eat me" when you open the box) iUmbrella (its surface can detect up to 10 simultaneous water drop hits, and iOS informs you where each drop hits, through a synth voice ie: one to your right, three on your left, and so on. You can record rain sessions). iPlain (the purest iOS product ever: no device, no media, no nothing, nada. Just iOS on the cloud, but...
The main problem at Apple is that they've changed their user base. In the past it was mainly driven by intellectual and/or creative users, so the "think different" motto fitted nicely. Now the user base is people who don't need computers. iOS, according to Steve Jobs, is designed for people who never used a computer. In other words, the main user base now (ie, the one that produces more revenue) aren't people which Apple helps to "think different", but people driven to...
The "post PC" era is in fact made of products that are obsolete even before hitting the market, because people demand desktop performance (specially for games, but not only), while Apple and Samsung try to make money by doing light and affordable toys. So, if you design a nice looking toy, which is very light, and reasonably affordable, it's very likely that it's in a tough scenario when users push it with demanding games while expecting a long battery time. No wonder...
I find it disgusting to read "post PC" in an article with the implied meaning of "post Mac".   It's also disgusting how the Apple fan base has changed. A couple of years ago, the fan consensus was iOS didn't mean the end of OSX. Today, fans no longer care about the Mac, just care about Apple selling tons and tons of the iWatch or whatever stupidity they manage to release.   Well, that's the reality of the "post Mac" era.