or Connect

Posts by Gustav

I guess, but they do no harm sitting there, other than taking up a a couple of GBs of disk space. They don't slow down your computer because there isn't code running. Windows bloatware often consists of adware checkers, virus software, and other garbage that actually loads on startup, thus slowing down your computer. There's more necessity to remove this than a couple of extra printer drivers on MacOS X.
EyeTV is not meant to be a set top box completely controlled from the remote - it's for using a Mac to watch TV. There are lots of shareware and freeware software to turn your Mac into a set top box if that's what you want. Anyway, why do you need to delete a recording from the remote? Just do it when you are back at the computer keyboard.
If instant vs. 30 second polling is important as you say, why are you trusting server downtime notification to email? I know several people with jobs like this, and they don't trust it to email - they all carry pagers with more reliable uptime that was meant for emergency notification. I still believe the world will get along just fine without push email and that it only offers a perceived value rather than actual. The two examples provided have not changed my opinion.
Hmm... I'll give you a maybe since I don't work in advertising, but I'd argue that very few contracts come down to a few seconds rather than a few minutes or longer. Not only that, do your clients just respond to the first to reply, or do they review all the replies to pick the best company for the job? Maybe they are that fickle, but geez, I would never hire a service based solely on their speed of replying to an email down to the second. I understand the importance of...
But that's not an example. I understand push-IM because IM is meant for realtime conversation. It should work at real-time. Email is not suited for that, as much as people try.
I agree - and this is kind of my point. If customers were more realistic of what their needs vs. their wants were, we'd be a whole lot more happier, and vendors could spend their time working on features that would actually make our lives better, rather than satisfy a false need that just makes us feel like we're more important than we are. If people would admit that they didn't really need push email (and I still challenge anyone to tell me why they need it), then RIM,...
So instead of actually refuting my point with actual facts, you resort to personal insults. How very mature and intelligent of you. Please tell me why you need to have instantaneous email notification rather than waiting for an email client to poll the server every minute (or even five minutes). Please tell me why this is so important to you. Prove to me that I am an idiot; otherwise grow up and keep the insults to yourself.
What's really a shame is that all this hubbub about a feature nobody actually needs. Remote file deletion is a good enterprise feature. Push email is just a perceived "need" to satisfy people's false sense of worth based on how fast they think they need an email.
So you can backup multiple machines - why ask this question since you just answered it yourself in the next sentence?So what if all machines lost their backup? Replace the drive and back them up again. Drive loss is always a risk whether it contains the backup of one or more machines. People who are serious about backups have multiple offsite backups anyway - this product is not meant to fit that bill.I don't think it's hype. I think people want a device that is always on,...
Nobody needs push email. I challenge anyone to provide an example of why they need an email message instantly rather than waiting for the mail client to check, for example, every minute or 30 seconds. If you need instant communication, SMS or chat are better suited to that task.