or Connect

Posts by bikertwin

I never access my iPhoto/iTunes data from the Finder. It's not designed that way. It's like copying text from a Word document by opening it in TextEdit. Why would you do that? In Aperture, this is even more important. Think about it. What if Aperture did leave your files "out in the open" so that you could get to them via the Finder. In the Finder, you'd never see the changes that you made in Aperture (since it's non-destructive), so what's the point of having access via...
As I said, "incorrectly." I'm not disputing they're used that way--only disputing whether they should be used that way. So you're saying it shouldn't be (as in "users shouldn't use it that way") but it should be (as in "Apple should implement it that way")? You lost me on that one.What format would you store the data in?Sorry, but I have no interest in proving any one person correct or incorrect. I'd question that particular post no matter who posted...
Same thing happens if the file system gets corrupted. What's the difference? There is none. All the posts on this board are in a huge database. So is user login information. Your credit card data. Bank accounts. Databases are where you store lots of data. It's very efficient. This board (hopefully!) has a backup, as does your credit card company and bank. Hopefully, you have a backup, too.
Usually incorrectly. \ Spreadsheets deal with calculations between relatively free-form data. (Think of a timesheet--it has your hours for each day and calculates the total hours for the week) Databases deal with very structured data in often large quantities. (Think of an employee database--it has the timesheet info for each employee for many years, as well as contact information, etc.) Microsoft separates both the applications (Excel, Access) and their data file formats...
Yeah, where do these 'analysts' get their information? Are they doing primary research (getting leaks from overseas manufacturers) or just relying on rumor sites? I'd like a job like that.
Very intersting post, Ken. You make a lot of good points.Yep, they'll definitely do the iBook and mini, and probably the PowerBook. But the iMac is pretty strong and was recently updated. My guess is that the iMac won't be updated yet. And PowerBooks are in desperate need of a speed boost, regardless of whether Adobe's apps are ready. OTOH, Apple often updates their own pro apps (FCP, DVDSP, Motion) at a pro-video conference in April, so maybe new PowerBooks will come out...
Not sure why that's being interpreted as elitist. It seems very matter-of-fact to me. It just seems that the performance issue has been beaten to death in this very thread. I do care, and it is of interest to me. It's just that the question has been answered before. FWIW, my current hardware won't run Aperture, and it's less than a year old. I feel the pain, believe me. But I also understand what Aperture can do, and why it needs that horsepower. Now, if you want to...
So? That's an almost-3-year-old notebook. That it can't run a bleeding-edge, realtime app is a given. If it did run Aperture, we'd hear nothing but complaints from this fellow about how slow it was. Hurray for him that he can run PS CS2 on it. Aperture does what PS CS2 can't do. Nothing new here. Move along.
Welcome, superhall, and jump right in! No need to worry about them producing non-elegant machines. Apple can't compete with Dell on price, so there's no way Apple will create cheapie machines. It's not in their blood, anyway. iPods weren't the cheapest MP3 players when they first came out. The Mac mini is relatively inexpensive, but not as cheap (in all senses of the word ) as a Dell. No, don't worry my child. Apple will produce nice machines . . . and you'll pay for it.
Would it be as good as running under a VM? I remember Windows apps running under OS/2 would run much faster when run in full screen mode. Those "advantages of integration with its host OS" come at a significant cost. TNSTAAFL.