or Connect

Posts by pixelcruncher

Mr. Dilger has me convinced. There's NO WAY the brilliant minds at Apple could have made OSX work on the iPad. All of those issues like small icons and font size could never be addressed in OSX. And all those "elements" like the dock and a menu bar that would get in the way and make it impossible to use! - of course, the iPad has a dock and top bar, and apps have their own top bars, and some apps (like the racing game in the pic provided) don't even run truly full...
Absolutely. Does anyone doubt that any new product from Apple or Nintendo won't have a restricted supply when they're released? Here come the reports of outrageous prices on e-bay.
Why listen to Apple? They want content for the iPad, and that's all they want out of this deal. Here's a piece of advice for content providers dealing with Apple: If you look around the deal room and can't figure out who the sucker is, it's you. Pricing a TV show below the cost of 90% of the songs on Apple's Top 10 charts ($1.29) seems absolutely ridiculous. Apple charges $79 for iLife, which would also buy you 80 TV shows under Apple's 99 cent plan (since both...
I had to buy textbooks in high school and college, both public."You can't put digital content into schools unless there are computers and laptops there to read it. That's the key – and it's happening in some districts but not in others," said Jay Diskey of the Association of American Publishers. "It's a slow evolution, and in a state like Texas, where there is a large enrollment, it is a very expensive proposition." - Dallas Morning News Mar 5, 2009Not many school systems...
Such a complicated process to get textbooks into kids hands in the public sector. Board of education has to approve books, districts have to budget for them. With all the states that can't even offer laptops for their kids, I seriously doubt they're gonna have the money for iPads. Lots of kids count on used book sales or getting books from older siblings, not sure how publishers are going to deal with that (especially with that comment I heard saying the books...
Let's rewrite that (CAPITALIZATIONS are mine):That would be iTunes which bizarrely plays my music and videos while also syncing my calendar, contacts, and e-mail to my iPhone and offers to sell me music (by the track!), bonus content, videos and apps all in the same application and also activated my iPhone when I bought it! And its FREE!A device with a 60% profit margin! None of the savings are passed on to you! http://venturebeat.com/2009/07/29/at...to-60-percent/ (or...
A lot of people have been talking about the huge savings in textbooks by going to an iPad/e-book model. This is great evidence that textbooks will only be as cheap as the publishers want them to be, and they'll only work on the e-reader of choice for as long as they want it to. I'm all for eliminating paper based books (just not an industry that can stand to exponentially grow over the next few decades), but anyone who thinks that books will be cheaper under the...
Capitalize on what? There's no market for professional level image editing, vector based illustration, or page layout on the i-devices. I've never understood why people think that people who use design software want to use it on a tiny screen by poking at it with our fingers. Keyboard shortcuts (or functions mapped to Wacom buttons), dozens of palettes and layers, and image sizes and rendering that make a 8-core Mac Pro churn aren't very practical on an i-device.
By revenue? Of the entire company? So if Apple still sold T-shirts, they would be the largest T-shirt manufacturer in the world as well, because you judge your size in any market by how much your entire company makes - not by how many people actually buy them.
No multitasking is a deal-breaker. Putting iWork on the iPad without any way to quickly bounce back and forth between different apps/sources really hamstrings it. I echo others who say this is just a big iPod Touch right now. Well, first gen Apple products are rarely the most succesful versions of their products, here's hoping second gen will offer enough that I want to buy.