or Connect

Posts by pixelcruncher

Without a new UI and a parade of developers to showcase it, they never should have shown that. Should have let HP take the heat for producing just another form factor for Windows. The leaked "Courier" concept video was all about the UI, Windows was really no where to be seen. For all the interest that video stirred up, MS just squashed it, ground it into their heel. If you're gonna do the keynote at CES, its best to not look like you're rummaging through a box for...
I really liked the concept animation, but this announcement seems rushed and ill-timed. Without some developer support to waltz around the stage this is going to go off like a lead balloon. The rumor out there is that iPhone apps will run on Apple's tablet - that's a huge, inexpensive resource that MS/HP will find very hard to counter without at least a few must-have killer apps. The lack of hype surrounding this announcement makes me wonder if this is just another...
Absolutely. Apps are Apple's ace in the hole. I can't remember the last time I saw an iPhone ad that actually showcased one of Apple's own apps. I'm sure I've seen a few, but they're almost all showcasing 3rd party apps now (I saw a travel ad that didn't even feature Maps). We Mac users bought in long ago, but non-Apple users aren't impressed by the UI ("where are your folders and documents?"), they aren't impressed by Apple integration ("there's no way I'm paying for...
That's not true at all. Like I said in another reply, try going to the Apple shareholder meeting and get in front of the mic and tell Steve Jobs, "Your obligation is to make money for me. PERIOD." See what kind of reaction you get. Since Apple doesn't pay out dividends, no one gets to share in the profits made by Apple except Apple. Apple has $39 billion in the bank, if their obligation was to make money for their shareholders why wouldn't they pay dividends on the...
I didn't realize they were having such a big problem showing a profit, I guess their shareholders are pretty mad at them. Well maybe this acquisition can turn things around for them. Seriously this argument could pretty much rationalize any company doing anything as long as their intention was to make money, and would seem to imply that every shareholder should agree with any move a company makes in the name of making more money. Also, try and find any company on the...
And of course this brings to mind this lovely Apple patent that came to light this year:http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/22/a...os-armageddon/
There was a time when Apple was about the end-user, and I always felt like Windows products were more about the developers and businesses that wanted access to the end-user. This move by Apple is about buying a company whose business it is to find out as much private information about you as it can (what you rent, what you buy, what you watch, what you listen to, what you surf) and give that information to businesses that want to target you. Since Apple actively monitors...
This will never happen. See US v Microsoft or the EU Microsoft Competition case. Anti-trust and Competition law combined with India and China's desire to provide its people with its own homegrown solutions means that beng "the gatekeeper to all the media in the world" and "total domination" isn't really feasible in this day and age. Nor would Apple base its future on a supply of "media" that it has to negotiate for on a contract-by-contract basis, as well as agreements...
Gotta love Appleinsider changing "Apple is in the "pole position" to lead the mobile computing race, the report concluded" into "Apple seen in 'pole position' to control mobile Internet computing". Their headlines are looking more and more like fanboy forum postings everyday. Apple has as much chance of "controlling" mobile internet computing with the iPhone as Toyota has of "controlling" alternative fuel vehicles with the Prius. Dozens of companies would have to just...
Love the personal insults, I'm guessing you don't "get" a lot of things. My argument stands. There's nothing about opening a device like the iPhone that should hypothetically void the manufacturer's warranty and free the manufacturer from the obligation that the parts inside the device are free from defect. If a part in the iPhone is defective, its defective, whether the case has been opened or not. What part of "opening a case" (like users can on other Apple devices),...