or Connect

Posts by pixelcruncher

If you're really a professional, and you've got a workstation (or several), then there's no reason your business is going to have to shut down because you can't upgrade to Snow Leopard. If you aren't on CS4 yet then you aren't concerned about being on the bleeding edge so there's NO reason for you to upgrade to Snow Leopard. Your business is functioning just as well today as it was last week. Get over it. Some people are saying "Well I'm going to look at...
Either that or TomTom just wants to hit first adopters up for some extra cash Pricing is so fluid on the App Store it can change drastically overnight. I'm sure the first $59.99 sale will have people buying in droves. I'm curious if Apple suggested keeping the price high. They've been trying to reverse the "race to the bottom" pricing of the App Store, and this would be an opportunity to roll out a big app and show other developers that apps can be priced in the...
So you think that when your finger is an inch away, the target started moving around, that would be a good thing?
I think this is very unlikely to be implemented on the standard iPhone interface. Your head and hands are all moving independently, there's no way the iPhone can help sync up what your left hand and right hand and eyes are all doing to make a button push more accurate. In fact, your brain and body are already compensating to some degree, and having a "floating interface" would probably throw your brain off more than help. I'm not sure if it would help when reading, but...
Try finding a Motion freelancer. The fact that on a weekly basis a post house may be bringing in an extra hand for a particular project means that there needs to be a high degree of interoperability. What happens when a really big project lands in your lap and you need 3-5 animators? I can't find a single case study of a major feature or commercial production that used Motion. Apple's own FCS "In Action" web page doesn't seem to have a case study highlighting Motion. ...
Why? There's no market for it. The FX industry mourned the loss of Shake and has moved on to other apps and left Shake in the dust. Apple has made it clear from the design of Motion that it isn't interested in high-end FX and compositing. Apple purchased Nothing Real in 2002, if they were going to integrate anything more from Shake (Smoothcam and Tracker were from Shake, I believe), it would have been done by now.
This is the most ignorant statement I think I've ever read on Appleinsider. Shake was once the industry leading compositing app that Apple allowed to die after buying Nothing Real. There's nothing in Final Cut Studio that compares to what Shake could do. You will never see big films crediting Final Cut or Motion for their compositing. Final Cut gets credit as an editor, but that's a very different tool.
From Ron Brinkman, one of the original Shake designers who worked at Apple: "I really can’t say much about where Apple may or may not be going with future products. Although the fact that I decided it was time to move on might be a reasonable clue as to my confidence level that any alleged ‘next generation’ tool will be focused on the market (high end vfx and animation) that I’m interested in… And why I’m now working with The Foundry on Nuke…" I would say there will never...
The media mangement better be rock freakin' solid. Amen for captioning support.
65,000 apps is no longer a selling point with me. Its a slog. The fact that the number of apps has doubled in the last six months means things are going to get more congested. I really don't enjoy browsing the app store anymore.