or Connect

Posts by Hattig

You know that he is talking about percentage rate, not absolute figures. The absolute figures are meaningless here - Apple is a massive company, they are expected to pay more taxes as a result. It's the percentage rate that is at issue. 6.5% is ludicrously low, compared to the corporation tax rate that Apple would pay on profits made in the US. My offer would have been "Corporation Tax rate minus Tax Rate already paid on that money". I.e., if Apple earned £1B profit in...
6.5% is a lot lot lower that 35%! Maybe 35% is stupidly high, but why 6.5%? That's not even trying to haggle. Why not start off at 20%? 15%? When you reduce certain companies' taxation requirements, you give them an unfair advantage over their competition, whilst depriving the country of needed taxation income. Of course every major multinational is using tax havens and not repatriating money, so something needs to be done about it - killing the tax havens seems to be a...
 I'm still looking for the benchmarks of this unreleased Exynos SoC versus the unreleased Snapdragon 810 to confirm that the Exynos' performance is lagging, or indeed that the existing Exynos SoCs lack their competitor Snapdragons. It's obvious that the integrated baseband in Qualcomm's chips makes them far more attractive for the price. I expect there is a lot of aid at the design level too - the entire package. Samsung are probably quite poor at this aspect, so they...
 So what? The article is comparing the Snapdragon 810 against an as-yet-unknown Exynos chip as options for the S6.  The fact that the Apple-only A7/A8/A8X is faster is neither here nor there - it's not an option for the S6! The article is saying that this is terrible news for the S6, because the Exynos chips are slower than the Snapdragon chips. However when it comes to the latest generation, we are talking about octa-core A57/A53 big.LITTLE SoCs - Qualcomm's next...
 I found the citations and break-out quotations to be highly exaggerating of the situation actually described in the linked articles. For example "the company's own Exynos chips were plagued by serious design defects" - that simply isn't the case. It had a weaker GPU than the A8 (and not much weaker at the same resolution). If it was plagued you wouldn't expect it to ship successfully in millions of devices. Historically Samsung hasn't used its Exynos chips because they...
I think it is likely that at some point, Apple will migrate to using their ARM designs in Macs. They will start off with a single, low-end, consumer device, such as a 12" MacBook Air - maybe not the 2015 edition, the 2016 or 2017 editions are definite candidates.   Seamless compatibility with iOS applications will be a feature - but will require the device to have a touchscreen. This will give access to some apps that might not be ARM-ised in the Mac App Store for a...
This strongly assumes that current Apple device owners are going to want a $500 smartwatch. Or any smartwatch to be honest. Also how often are watches replaced? Especially $500 watches? The thing about phones is that people get new phones every couple of years. But people expect good watches to last a long long time. So repeat sale prospects aren't great, in my opinion. At $300 I can see it working out. $500 is a big step up, for a watch / iDevice companion.
"he noted that the iPhone maker's interest in bringing manufacturing to the U.S., along with the GT Advanced Technologies sapphire debacle, make Global Foundries unlikely to "play a spoilsport" to Samsung and TSMC." Um, but GlobalFoundries has a fab in the US... Just like Samsung built a fab in the US. The one without a fab in the US is TSMC. The real problem for Apple is that they need 100,000 people in a factory to assemble the number of iPhones they sell, so...
 Heh, some people have been wanting 4GB! IIRC iOS has memory compression, so 2GB should suffice for at least three tabs in Safari before tab reloading occurs :p
An interesting decision, three cores. It would be interesting to see the single threaded and multithreaded performance here, to see how Apple assessed it as 40% faster. It could be they run the cores at the same speed as the iPhone 6, and gain performance with little power consumption increase by using the extra core. I look forward to seeing the die photos in due course.