or Connect

Posts by Hattig

The increased thermal headroom of a MacBook Air compared to an iPhone or iPad would allow a design to run at faster speeds for more of the time (most of the processing time in an iPhone or iPad is actually spent in "race to idle" mode - long battery lives are only achieved by being idle most of the time).  I don't think they would use two A8s, they would probably fab an A8X or clock the A8 faster due to the increased thermal headroom. But I don't think Apple is in the...
3DLabs were one of the innovators in 3D graphics technologies.  I wouldn't assume these patents are frivolous, even if they have ended up in some funnily-named ARM SoC vendor that's a subsidiary of Creative.   I would also assume that companies like AMD and NVIDIA have licensed them in the past, probably via cross-licensing deals.   Now has Imagination Tech licensed the patents? Have they licensed them for re-licensing onwards, or would another sub-licensee (Apple,...
Maybe the plan is to sell the Samsung manufactured A8s in the USA, because that is one more component built in the USA, and Apple does like to emphasise that whenever it can.  The TSMC A8s could be used for the rest of the world's devices.   The processes are different, even if they're both going to be 20nm, so one fab will produce faster chips than the other (or alternatively, one fab will produce lower power chips), so that may determine where a chip goes.
I don't get the advert, it seems counter productive. Bluetooth keyboards are far better for when you need a keyboard than the abysmal smart cover thing that Microsoft peddled. I don't know what Nokia are pushing, but it's not going to change the world. And there's an entire ecosystem of bluetooth keyboards that support iOS, from tiny fold-ups, to full size docks. And the iPad lasts forever playing movies, so I don't see the issue there, it's an outright lie. Far better...
Ah, this is what happens when you get Marketing people to do an advert without running it by anyone slightly technical. Clearly the Marketing person has never heard of the SUM() function, or even of plain old addition. This article shows more useful things though - the colour keys in Numbers are far larger and useful than the tiny dots in Excel. The pie chart looks prettier (although I guess Excel has pretty chart options too, surely). Still, it's a noddy spreadsheet...
 wtf does "five times as slow" mean. ITYM "the iPad 2 is under one fifth of the speed". ION the iPad Air is looking like the large tablet to get this year, and the iPad Mini is definitely the small tablet to get if it will be nearly the same speed.
The charge key seems like a good idea that has a logical location for storing the connector, but the charge card looks awkward with that bendy USB connector and generally large size.
 Samsung aren't dependent on Apple's semiconductor manufacturing orders, so I fail to see what your point is, apart from being some Apple fanboy, anti-Samsung fantasy. Back in the real world, losing Apple's orders would be painful for Samsung's Foundry Business Unit (yeah, like most large modern companies, Samsung isn't a single business entity) but so far it appears that Apple will be the one feeling pain, as Samsung appear to deliver for Apple, time and time again, when...
Get your @3x UI resources ready guys. A 12" iPad will surely have a 3072x2304 display to ensure it meets all reasonable expectations of being retina.   (PS: When I post a comment and get asked to log in (the pop up) the post gets lost and not posted.)
 Android apps will run on 64-bit without a recompile. They're targeting a bytecode intermediary instruction set, it is the task of the Dalvik VM to JIT compile that into something to run on the target hardware. That's how the same Android binary runs flawlessly on ARM, x86 and MIPS currently. Also don't make the mistake of thinking that Apple's ObjectiveC runtime doesn't incur any overhead, it is a managed code solution itself, it's just that it compiles to native code...