or Connect

Posts by Hattig

I've personally found the 21.5" screen size to just be a little on the small side in this day and age. However a 4K display would make it more compelling. I still think there's a missing product at 24" but maybe it's just not worthwhile with the 27" available.
 It might be applied as a liquid that sets?
 Some people can't be trusted to to to the toilet! And I know people that have done this. Women, not just men with phone/backpocket issues! And yes, this looks like "anti-toilet / drink spillage" technology. Dunno why Apple don't just do the hydrophobic nanocoating that other phones do though. Must affect display quality or wear off or something.
Carrot Fantasy? Also amazing that developers of all people downloaded their dev tools from any old supplier online of the software, instead of the official source, even though the software is free. Infecting the dev tools has long been known as a good route for infecting applications built by the dev tools. It's one of the standard examples given in a decent security course at university.
Yes, LLVM is going to be a core aspect of the App Store's recompilation mechanism. Apple's bitcode is probably very close to an existing IL/IF.   Swift as a systems language is going to be interesting to see in practice, although I think mass use of it will be years down the line.
 OTOH the iPad Pro has a massively superior touch display than the MacBook Air. But the Air: proper SSD storage, lots of I/O, keyboard, touchpad. I do think that iPads are overpriced for what they offer, a side effect of miniaturisation and Apple's margins. An ARM MacBook Air would likely also incorporate the better display (but maybe not touch) however, and possibly try to be slimmer and lighter, so it would be more expensive. But that's not down to the cost of the "A10X"...
 Barely impressive? Sheesh. A9: ~2W - 4W max - $50 max SoC cost7-year old desktop: 95W + 50W GPU4-year-old macbook: 25W2-year-old macbook: 15W - $200+ cost Guess what? That A9 is running at 1.8GHz dual core, 450MHz GPU for a reason - to keep it under 2W in normal use. It is competitive apparently with a low-end Core M (4.5W in marketing, measured use is higher, turbo speed is 2.6GHz which is what benchmarks will run at until throttling kicks in). The A9X in a tablet can...
 DRAM refresh is done internally within the memory chip. It doesn't burn memory bandwidth between the memory and the CPU. It uses special refresh cycles that occur between read/write cycles, and basically reads an entire row of memory and rewrites it back, all in the background, all automatically, all very low power. If you look at that table, the refresh is measured in micro-amps. Not milli-amps. Refresh power use is 1/10th of the overall DRAM power use, at most. It is...
 Apps sold in the Mac OS App Store may be able to one day take advantage of the App Store features that Apple has recently enabled for iOS. The main one is bitcode, rather than native code. Basically an intermediary language (IL), with the final, optimising native compile, occurring on the App Store itself. Right now, XCode is compiling to x86-64 binaries for Mac OS X apps. However we know that Mac OS X supports fat binaries, so it is possible for XCode to add bitcode...
I would only give this a consideration if it was about the A10X. A six-core CPU and a 16-core GPU for the iPad Air 4, iPad Pro 2, and, for the first time, selected MacBook Airs. The A9 is 2 CPU cores and 6 GPU cores, I don't see the A10 going above 4 CPU cores and 8 GPU cores to be honest. It'll still be a market leader. (In fact I suspect this rumour is a massive mutation of the fact the A9 has a six-core GPU).