or Connect

Posts by Hattig

Yeah, it's not all the way into the watch's slot. Either not pushed in enough, or it's working its way free.
I wonder if that plug is BS1363 compliant...
Except the article is mostly incorrect. The Samsung SoC's GPU is actually slightly more powerful, it just has more pixels to drive, but games will target a performance target and upscale as needed, so it's a non-issue.
Contrary to the article's headline and content, the Galaxy S6 is more powerful in offscreen rendering at the same resolution (1478 vs 1189 and 2636 vs 2391). This article concentrates on the on-screen performance, but that isn't necessarily going to be relevant in the real world. The issue is that the S6 has a higher resolution display, so it has more pixels to render if the game renders at the full native resolution. However it is likely that games will render at a...
 USB 3 contains separate input and output data pairs, if that's what you are talking about. I believe it also dumps the old hub USB hub "broadcast to all devices on the bus" mechanism in favour of active USB switches or similar that route more intelligently.
Note that USB 3.1 comes in two forms. USB 3.1 Rev 1, which is the old 5 mbps USB 3.0 rebranded. USB 3.2 Rev 2, which is the new 10 mbps standard that we think of when we hear "USB 3.1". You can guess which revision is used on the MacBook and the new Chromebook. In addition, I think that two Type C ports would have been a no-brainer, for the flexibility that it gives.
 You know that he is talking about percentage rate, not absolute figures. The absolute figures are meaningless here - Apple is a massive company, they are expected to pay more taxes as a result. It's the percentage rate that is at issue. 6.5% is ludicrously low, compared to the corporation tax rate that Apple would pay on profits made in the US. My offer would have been "Corporation Tax rate minus Tax Rate already paid on that money". I.e., if Apple earned £1B profit in...
6.5% is a lot lot lower that 35%! Maybe 35% is stupidly high, but why 6.5%? That's not even trying to haggle. Why not start off at 20%? 15%? When you reduce certain companies' taxation requirements, you give them an unfair advantage over their competition, whilst depriving the country of needed taxation income. Of course every major multinational is using tax havens and not repatriating money, so something needs to be done about it - killing the tax havens seems to be a...
 I'm still looking for the benchmarks of this unreleased Exynos SoC versus the unreleased Snapdragon 810 to confirm that the Exynos' performance is lagging, or indeed that the existing Exynos SoCs lack their competitor Snapdragons. It's obvious that the integrated baseband in Qualcomm's chips makes them far more attractive for the price. I expect there is a lot of aid at the design level too - the entire package. Samsung are probably quite poor at this aspect, so they...
 So what? The article is comparing the Snapdragon 810 against an as-yet-unknown Exynos chip as options for the S6.  The fact that the Apple-only A7/A8/A8X is faster is neither here nor there - it's not an option for the S6! The article is saying that this is terrible news for the S6, because the Exynos chips are slower than the Snapdragon chips. However when it comes to the latest generation, we are talking about octa-core A57/A53 big.LITTLE SoCs - Qualcomm's next...