or Connect

Posts by bugsnw

Pre-Ordered. A stamp of approval from John Gruber is going to drive sales into the trillions. Well, at least those who are in this arena will read this book. I'm looking forward to additional insights and new stories.   In my little collection, I have The Little Kingdom and The Journey is the Reward, the latter being my favorite book about the young SJ. I read it many years ago and it really changed the way I viewed the world. I admired Jobs' passion for perfectionism...
Strong language...I'm surprised TC called for the wholesale elimination of terrorists. And yes, he's speaking of the ISIS cabal in the middle east.   Obama isn't going to get it done. It's going to take the next President and new ideas, starting with being able to say who the enemy is in the first place.   I would have thought Cook would have held it back a bit on this controversial topic!   But he did say it so I say, Kudos, Tim!   (
Everyone I know is super stoked about the coming iPhoto app. Finally, editing photos will show up on all devices linked to the cloud account, assuming you use it. Please, Apple, join the world and up the free storage amount. It's not about the $, it's about the default usage. You'll gain new users....same principle as the .99 cent music download.   And just like the new Photo app, rewrite the Podcast app so it does exactly the same thing. Here's what I want:   I listen...
Congratulations go to Breen. I've read so many of his articles in Macworld. It's a huge loss for them. In fact, I miss the print publication very much. Two issues have hit my zinio app and I've yet to look at them. That subscription has seen its last update. The end of an era.  
 Without having access to Apple's books, it's impossible to say exactly what that percentage is. Yes, they get to deduct taxes already paid abroad. But I guess I wasn't trying to deduce the exact percentage paid or get mired in accounting rules. I was simply making the point that borrowing money at less than 1% (or say even a few %) to save from paying taxes on repatriated cash is smart. I'll leave it to the rest of you to debate whether it's 13.5 or 11.75 or 9.09%. Apple...
Icahn is interested in himself, as most of us are. He has a large holding of Apple and wants to see it maximized, as shareholders often do. I don't see anything earth shattering about his statements.   Apple hasn't invited him to be on the board. And Carl isn't the only pressure on Apple to increase its buyback and dividend programs.   Right now, I like the guy. It may be true that under Steve, Apple would not take on debt to buy back shares. But borrowing money at...
Starbucks is very smart. Even without Apple Pay, the way they do it now is fast and easy. But you do have to pull your phone out of your pocket.   I've found that I spend money a lot faster when it's digital and so fast and easy. If I'm pulling out cash, I do that little value equation in my head, leading to buyer's remorse. I'd eat a lot less SB if it was cash only.   Actually, their sandwiches are a pretty good deal. $5+ gets you this (and it's fricken...
Regarding the watch market: I should have said that too. It's just a general observation that the younger crowd is completely set with their smart phones. As far as high end watches being on the upswing, I believe that. Luxury goods for the well-to-do have done well in this economy. A friend of mine does not wear a watch but he likes to buy high end Rolexes now and then.   Here's one thing, however. I don't think the younger generation is going to view the Apple watch as...
I'm not as jazzed about the watch as others but at least I'm open minded. I'm titillated by what Apps are going to appear on this thing to compel us to buy it. I know Cook refers a lot to the health aspects of it. It tells you to stand up. It counts your daily walking/running mileage. Somehow it helps him in the gym. It monitors his heart. For all I know it plays a jingle every time you pleasure yourself.   I'm intrigued by some of that but Apple must have something...
I'm sure Apple will sell a lot of gold watches in Dubai. Perhaps enough to drive up their average prices. I'm just a little weary on the watch due to the fact that an entire generation or two has grown up without wearing one. We'll see.