or Connect

Posts by bugsnw

As difficult it is to read comments that refer to "Obscene profits" and "Exploitation" when discussing Apple, I will watch the program with interest. Mostly to see how some of my favorite kit is built. I'm always amazed at how some have managed to grow up in America and come to the conclusion that capitalism is bad. Apple makes obscenely great products. They sell a lot of them to people who enjoy using them. Hence the 'obscene' profits. Hate on consumerism and...
I agree 100%. At some point, whether it's 100B or 500B or 1T, Apple will have to have a good explanation as to why it's withholding that cash from shareholders. It's true that SJ didn't consider dividends. But there is a point where they cannot justify the size of the hoard. I'm guessing, along with other stockholders, that the day of the iDividend is rapidly approaching. And I agree that that is pushing up the stock price, along with the impending arrival of the iPad...
If you listen carefully, you can hear the sound of a chair being thrown in Redmond...
My boys (ages 9 and 11) have stopped playing the Wii. They wanted the fighting games available on the PS3. I was loathe to buy a PS3 because if you look at the top 200 games on amazon.com, nearly all of them are fighting games, some of which are too violent for young, impressionable minds. We've replaced the Wii and those expensive games with iPads and now a PS3 as well. The upfront cost is nothing when you factor in how many apps are free or 99 cents. I would think...
I'm with you on rounding the iPhone out a bit. I'd also like some innovative coating or knurling around the rim that gave it a satisfying grip. Back in the day when I lifted weights, we had this one expensive bar that had awesome knurling. It had such a satisfying grip that made other bars seem like grabbing glass. Another product that comes to my mind is my Global cleaver. Global knives are well loved partly because they feel like they have a rubber grip. But it's...
I can't wait for a new, magnetic data/power connector. I've been desiring this for years. I hate those headphone jacks, even though Apple's is the tightest I've seen. The 30-pin connector is inelegant and stands out like a sore thumb on my beautiful Bose Zeppelin speakers. Plus it's hard to dock. Friction is bad. Sealed and magnetic is good.
Steve wasn't impressed by Obama and told him he was going to end up a 1-term president. I hope Steve is right and those words are in Obama's thoughts as he discusses the American dream tonight. Maybe he can explain how more burdensome regulations and higher taxes create an environment where entrepreneurs and small businesses feel emboldened to take risks to create something great or expand.
I bet the majority of those Chinese workers would fight to keep their jobs. Their standard of living is increasing, thanks to Apple. The alternative is a much lower standard of living, perhaps starving while toiling endlessly on some farm. People in this country with lower incomes rejoice at the affordable products and services offered at Wal-Mart. Be careful to keep in mind what the alternative is. Capitalism raises all boats. It's the only economic system ever...
How much looting and rioting happened in Japan during the last nuclear crisis? How has our entitlement society created better workers? There are so many variables to consider when discussing standards of living and keeping manufacturing jobs here. Don't forget that when Apple manages to make a world-class product such as an iPad cheaply, millions of Americans buy it and benefit. Our standard of living goes up, even if it's not reflected in wages, per se. Compare...
Yep. I watched them install fiber optic into my garage, which then hooked into my phone system for speedy DSL. The fiber optic cable is tiny, like a strand of hair, but then they bolt this plastic box onto the wall the size of a suitcase. It's virtually empty other than the hair-size optic cable and a few other connections.