or Connect

Posts by bugsnw

It's the charisma thing. One of the best books on Steve Jobs is The Journey is the Reward. Great read. Lots of insight into the amazing and talented SJ. I give much credit for Apple's success to his vision and taste. Hire lots of talented designers and let them create with freedom and passion. Laptops do not need to be like Rolexes, carved from solid blocks of aluminum (or whatever metal). But Apple does this out of pride. Truly amazing. They could be cutting costs...
I have two boys under 10 years old who are slowly migrating away from DS and Wii to the iPod touches and Mac games. This is a double whammy for Nintendo as they also lose revenue on those expensive, high-margin games. Nintendo's biggest asset, as far as I can tell in this neighborhood, is the Mario franchise. Both boys are going as Mario this year for Halloween. As a parent, all I can say is thank god for the shift. Huge savings along with sprinkling educational Apps...
Your experience parallels mine. I have a medium amount of experience administering about a dozen Macs in a small office. When it comes to changing cats, it's often easier to troubleshoot if you start fresh. I've honed this process down to the point where I don't dread it anymore. But it seems to be a fact that a lot of problems can be solved simply by starting fresh. Also, running lean and clean makes a difference as well. The more you change the way the Mac was designed...
I didn't do a clean install of SL either. I wanted to try it out for a bit. Just laziness. And my experience is similar to others who have been performing quick and easy upgrades. No appreciable speed increases that I can feel. In fact, Expose has an odd delay every time I activate it that makes it seem a lot slower. Mail has issues. Safari can take my 4GB iMac down to nothing if I surf over a few days. After a clean install, I'll be interested to see what improves. I...
Yep. I don't shed any tears myself. What's worse is what happened in WA state. They sent Use tax forms to all small businesses. The form threatened an audit if the business didn't send in some money. Turns out the State 'knew' purchases were made across state lines and wanted their chunk. Imagine the angst if you were a business that made purchases only through online retailers that collected sales tax. The threat of an audit is a very effective too to extort additional...
This is one of those items that reading a review won't help. Mice are very subjective creatures and everything from how they feel when you move them to how hard you have to press to register a click to the ratio of height to width affect how you perceive their effectiveness. I loved the little nipple on the last mighty mouse for it's fine grit and satisfying rubbery texture. But I grew to hate the rest of the mouse. It brought back memories of a very light Kensington...
Technically, those that buy from out of state retailers still owe Sales Tax (if their state has a sales tax, which most do). It's just called a Use tax. And it's up to the individual to track online purchases where ST was not paid and remit the identical amount that would have been paid if the retailer had collected ST. Amazon is one of the few that doesn't collect it for states where it has no nexus. But that's going to change, especially with the current budget...
I used to fill in and send those rebates for MacMall purchases. Then I discovered that Apple was more than willing to beat any and all deals. This offered quick and easy on-the-phone customization and ordering with software discounts often thrown in for good measure. So I order exclusively from Apple via a phone rep. Great customer service and goodies thrown in. I've retired from filling out rebate forms and hoping for the best. By the way, thank you for link....
This article lost credibility at "market to market." But to keep it simple, as another poster pointed out, as long as my updates are free, it's all good. Apple realized it's better to encourage updates than extract $1.99.
I'm ordering the beefed up 27" today. There is enough meat there to warrant an upgrade, IMO. I was a little confused about the video where there is much gushing about how the screen goes out to the edges and then disappears. I still see plenty of aluminum and masking on the front. Still... very nice. And affordable 8 GB RAM option! They should sell a ton of these. The prior poster on hoping his insurance comes through with a replacement. Don't hold your breath. I...