or Connect

Posts by bugsnw

When I would set up computers for family or clients, under a single bookmark, I'd place macupdate.com, apple support forums and other helpful sites to aid in future troubleshooting. It's a huge relief to see Apple finally put these links in and make it easier for those that help others set up and maintain their computers.
You're right.. I had to use an Apple reference there. I can't remember what it was called on the NeXT. It even worked over networks. My NeXT cube still runs and the OS could blend in with today and do just fine. Here's another neat feature: you could click the 'lips' icon in any email window and attach a quick voice message. But back to Lion. I remember seeing a Mac II at a store, gasping at the beautiful colors. The store owner was giving a great demo and a customer ended...
I'm very happy to see more and more UI goodness from NeXTSTEP appear in Mac OS X. I used a NeXT all through college and adapted quickly to the NeXT way. Once I did, it was very very difficult to come back to a Mac. I'd be wishing it had more of the NeXT capabilities. I really miss Publish and Subscribe. There is a youtube video where a young Steve Jobs demoes the NeXT OS. He even makes a few jabs at the Mac OS along the way. Tear off menus are another thing I miss a...
I'm old school. I love the metallic feel of aluminum. It reeks of quality and durability and looks fantastic. No smudges, no scratches. It just looks refined. Carbon Fiber might be better, but to most, it will look like a cost cutting measure. It will look and feel like plastic. The benefits would have to be quite overwhelming before I switched. On top of all that, we wouldn't get to hear Bertrand Serlet and J. Ive say aluminum during keynotes.
Good point. Separate the components and lower the prices so we can purchase chunks on the App store. This appears to be the direction Apple is going as today, FaceTime 1.0 appeared in the App store for .99 cents. We've all read how Apple is going to sell software on the App store and make room in their retail stores for showcasing more hardware. I wonder if this App store (with the 30% chunk going to Apple) will cross over to hardware? Why not just remove the Apple Store...
I like the daisy chaining and power features Love the fact that it's smaller than USB It has a definite 'one way only' shape for easy plug in A lot of good stuff going for this port. FW800 is clumsy as hell and wiggles around in the port. You have to look at it first before you attempt to plug it in. It's huge. We want thin kit. I hope Thunderbolt fits snug. Ethernet jacks snap in and you never have to worry about loose cables. This port seems to have a lot of...
I thought Apple's idea of a value added online services feature was a better idea. Even at $69 for renewal, the price seems lofty by today's standards and what's available elsewhere. I'm hoping for more features at a dramatically lower price. We've been witnessing this recent trend in the new App store. Here's hoping they add something akin to Dropbox, only better!
LOL!!! Thanks for the laugh. Struck me as funny as hell.... Diehards and techheads will always appreciate new kit from Apple, but knowing the September rumor might have some validity, you can imagine the mental turmoil. An avid reader of AI who wants to upgrade but just can't, knowing something stunningly better might be just around the corner. Imagine them holding that interim March iPad thinking, "I love you, but i'm not IN love with you..."
Maybe, just maybe, Apple has a little of its mojo back and will surprise all of us with the iPad 3 specs, delivered before anyone thought possible. If I were Apple, I'd want to avoid the rage-induced upgrade psychosis and announce the iPad 2 (with retina display) to ship in X months. Then a price reduction on current models will keep everything flowing. That's an aggressive prediction. More down to earth, I think we are going to get the confusing 1.5 and then...
Apple without Jobs would do fine for quite a while. Medium term, I don't think there's cause for concern. But how many CEOs are so anal about thinness and 'lines' and the look and feel of products? Apple invested a ton of $ in the manufacturing of their sleep laptops. Carved out of a block of aluminum....slick. However, down the road, they could be saddled with a CEO who doesn't see the logic in innovating through a downturn and instead of investing and innovating their...