or Connect

Posts by bugsnw

I agree, it's incredible to consider the logistics of creating all this glass, stainless steel, and aluminum. Then consider the fit and finish of Apple's products. Sometimes I just look at all the seams and curves and derive satisfaction at the touch and feel of the buttons and surfaces. It's truly amazing. What an incredible asset Apple is to the U.S. I think IBM wins in the patent award area, but Apple drives this industry forward and breakneck pace. Awesome. No...
We are going to wait for a week or two and read the reviews, which hopefully will suss out any hardware issues. Typically, Macworld is great for this. If they give it a clean bill of health, we're going to take the plunge on the 15" for the office. My last PB was the 12" PPC so this is going to feel like a screamer. Very excited about running Lion on this thing!
We see more and more accountants going Mac. With everything rushing to the cloud, this has become easier and requires less software such as Parallels to make it work. What bugs me is we end up troubleshooting the various software out there, noting and reporting bugs, and when we call with a tech support question, we have to pretend we are on PCs because the default response on the other end is 'we don's support Macs.' They don't even wait till you ask your question....
I hear you on the 12" PB. I kept it for basic stuff like letting my son write his papers or playing Platypus and even some old Math games that only worked on those old Macs. But he ventured to my 27" iMac and felt the speed and power and found new apps. And every time I sat down to use that 12" PB, it felt slower and slower. Surfing was painful. Everything was just painfully slow. I really enjoyed it over the years and probably those memories more than anything made...
If you have a computer laying around to run OS 9 apps, perhaps Lion isn't for you. By dropping Rosetta, many of those software vendors might get off their butts and upgrade their software or drivers. We have a small business so I understand the Microsoft Office 2004 vs. 2011 issues. I know it's a pain to upgrade all your spreadsheets to the new version. It's painful to upgrade to new software. But the gain is usually a more secure, faster, more efficient OS and down...
This is good. It will force me to get off my butt and finish converting everything I've ever done in AppleWorks 6 to Excel or Pages documents. Even though I haven't used it to create a document in some time, it will be sad to see AppleWorks go. Probably one of my most used apps if you include the jurassic period before OS X.
When I would set up computers for family or clients, under a single bookmark, I'd place macupdate.com, apple support forums and other helpful sites to aid in future troubleshooting. It's a huge relief to see Apple finally put these links in and make it easier for those that help others set up and maintain their computers.
You're right.. I had to use an Apple reference there. I can't remember what it was called on the NeXT. It even worked over networks. My NeXT cube still runs and the OS could blend in with today and do just fine. Here's another neat feature: you could click the 'lips' icon in any email window and attach a quick voice message. But back to Lion. I remember seeing a Mac II at a store, gasping at the beautiful colors. The store owner was giving a great demo and a customer ended...
I'm very happy to see more and more UI goodness from NeXTSTEP appear in Mac OS X. I used a NeXT all through college and adapted quickly to the NeXT way. Once I did, it was very very difficult to come back to a Mac. I'd be wishing it had more of the NeXT capabilities. I really miss Publish and Subscribe. There is a youtube video where a young Steve Jobs demoes the NeXT OS. He even makes a few jabs at the Mac OS along the way. Tear off menus are another thing I miss a...
I'm old school. I love the metallic feel of aluminum. It reeks of quality and durability and looks fantastic. No smudges, no scratches. It just looks refined. Carbon Fiber might be better, but to most, it will look like a cost cutting measure. It will look and feel like plastic. The benefits would have to be quite overwhelming before I switched. On top of all that, we wouldn't get to hear Bertrand Serlet and J. Ive say aluminum during keynotes.