or Connect

Posts by bugsnw

It would be kind of cool if Apple could innovate in the area of modularity. We all love how accessible the innards of the MacPro are and how easy it is to upgrade various components. The iMac was heading that way when you could access the guts without removing the screen. If it's about form and aesthetics, I'm sure there are some innovative latching mechanisms that are only minimally destructive to the fine, sculpted lines that Steve requires. If it were a choice...
Apple's iPhone/iPod touch are very sensitive to hardware improvements. I recently played Frenzic on my wife's iPhone and it was noticeably slower than the new iPod touch. The difference in the speed rating of the chips isn't that great, but yet it's something you can feel when playing games. I look forward to what sound like huge leaps forward in graphics and performance. I just hope they include battery life!
A new keyboard w/ black keys and black power chord would complete the iMac look. I ditched Apple mice a while back in favor of Logitech's VX Revolution, which has long battery life and a wonderful alloy scroll wheel. I only wish the scroll had a finer grit, like Apple's nipple. Bonus: It's black and matches the iMac. I was at a Xmas party last night and was peeking around the host's beautiful home and I spotted a 24" iMac on his office desk. My first reaction was...
Complaining feels good sometimes and you never know who's reading these posts. Perhaps it was our bitching about high RAM prices that brought Apple's surcharges down to merely painful levels. Apple's thanksgiving sale was hardly that. Unlike in prior years, you could have done much better without even trying that hard (amazon.com, catalog merchants, etc). For the first time since Apple started this sale, I didn't participate. In light of their 10s of billions in cash...
You have to be careful. Amazon.com may not have nexus in your state, but you will still owe Use Tax, which is usually identical to the Sales Tax rate of your state. Wording usually goes something like this: "Use tax is also collected on the consumption, use or storage of goods in Nevada if sales tax was not paid on the purchase of the goods. The use tax rate is the same as the sales tax rate." Nearly all states have Sales Tax (only 5 don't). Enforcement efforts are...
I bought an iPod touch, even though it doesn't make ice cream. There's a reason for Apple's madness. ATV is one of those products that seems to frustrate a lot of non-owners. They are not going to buy unless Apple adds X, Y, Z..and they better do it soon or they will switch to Dell. For the actual ATV owners, it's a joy to own and use. There are other products that perform other duties that I need for my full TV experience. I have 2 DVD players, one standalone and...
I'm a big fan of the yearly November sale. I put off our last iMac purchase this year just for this date. Even though if you have a relationship with an Apple Rep, you typically receive discounts that match or beat the typical sales prices. Looking forward, even Apple is going to have trouble in this economy. I have a feeling that even though this sales event is well attended, the after Xmas sales are going to be even better. Too many people reigning in their spending...
I can't wait to see what Apple's purchase of P.A. Semi yields. Differentiation is so important and is capable of commanding nice premiums for Apple's products. Apple smartly tries to keep multiple vendors in its pocket at all times. It seems to encourage rabid competition and innovation. Now Intel will work their butts off and throw tons of R&D at more powerful solutions tailor made for Apple. This is all good. It's also good for prices. With the iPhone, we don't want...
Jobs also remarked once that Apple only makes products they themselves would be proud of to own and use. So forget about the $500 underwhelming notebook. It's funny that many from the PC side don't understand Apple's DNA. If we apply this cheap logic to cars, we would demand that Lexus makes a Lexus for $9,999. It's not going to happen. And if it did, it certainly wouldn't be a Lexus. I'm glad Jobs verbalized that there are markets Apple doesn't want to serve. Stop...
Absolutely. It's a layman's way to say they should buy marketshare. Thank you for the correction though. I shouldn't participate in the sloppy language of 'joe the plumber' accounting.