or Connect

Posts by bugsnw

My i7 iMac arrived yesterday and it's a beast. The monitor just blows you away. Much finer brightness adjustments that allow it to go uncomfortably bright to dim enough to use upon just waking up. This will be my first iMac that I turn the brightness down a few notches below full brightness. Some quick observations: the mouse is wonderful in your hand. Scrolling is smooth and similar to the iPhone in momentum when you flick. But even with the settings on mouse speed on...
I'm really excited to get my hands on the new iMac. I ordered the 2.8 GHz i7 w/ 8 GB RAM. And I will be zeroing my current iMac out for use at our office. I'll have them side-by-side on the dining room table for speed tests. My favorite test being converting video clips via VisualHub. I found it interesting that some people mentioned running their monitors at half or lower brightness. I have always preferred the full brightness during the day and only turn it down at...
Doesn't hang while running Repair Permissions in Disk Utility and Expose (all windows) is fast and smooth once more.
I knew someone would bring up the liver and try to tie SJ's wealth to his successful liver transplant. If he was given special priority, it still doesn't undo all that he's done for mankind.
It's the charisma thing. One of the best books on Steve Jobs is The Journey is the Reward. Great read. Lots of insight into the amazing and talented SJ. I give much credit for Apple's success to his vision and taste. Hire lots of talented designers and let them create with freedom and passion. Laptops do not need to be like Rolexes, carved from solid blocks of aluminum (or whatever metal). But Apple does this out of pride. Truly amazing. They could be cutting costs...
I have two boys under 10 years old who are slowly migrating away from DS and Wii to the iPod touches and Mac games. This is a double whammy for Nintendo as they also lose revenue on those expensive, high-margin games. Nintendo's biggest asset, as far as I can tell in this neighborhood, is the Mario franchise. Both boys are going as Mario this year for Halloween. As a parent, all I can say is thank god for the shift. Huge savings along with sprinkling educational Apps...
Your experience parallels mine. I have a medium amount of experience administering about a dozen Macs in a small office. When it comes to changing cats, it's often easier to troubleshoot if you start fresh. I've honed this process down to the point where I don't dread it anymore. But it seems to be a fact that a lot of problems can be solved simply by starting fresh. Also, running lean and clean makes a difference as well. The more you change the way the Mac was designed...
I didn't do a clean install of SL either. I wanted to try it out for a bit. Just laziness. And my experience is similar to others who have been performing quick and easy upgrades. No appreciable speed increases that I can feel. In fact, Expose has an odd delay every time I activate it that makes it seem a lot slower. Mail has issues. Safari can take my 4GB iMac down to nothing if I surf over a few days. After a clean install, I'll be interested to see what improves. I...
Yep. I don't shed any tears myself. What's worse is what happened in WA state. They sent Use tax forms to all small businesses. The form threatened an audit if the business didn't send in some money. Turns out the State 'knew' purchases were made across state lines and wanted their chunk. Imagine the angst if you were a business that made purchases only through online retailers that collected sales tax. The threat of an audit is a very effective too to extort additional...
This is one of those items that reading a review won't help. Mice are very subjective creatures and everything from how they feel when you move them to how hard you have to press to register a click to the ratio of height to width affect how you perceive their effectiveness. I loved the little nipple on the last mighty mouse for it's fine grit and satisfying rubbery texture. But I grew to hate the rest of the mouse. It brought back memories of a very light Kensington...