or Connect

Posts by bugsnw

I just spent a few hours on our last G5 at the office. The difference in colors and hues when moving your head just a few inches is quite noticeable. It's a 20" matte screen. It looks dull and uneven compared to the 27". I cannot believe anyone would prefer it, though I accept that people with bright lights behind them would be too distracted from glare. But how fun is it to work on a matte monitor with its own drawbacks? I still think it'd be preferable to organize...
Maybe a compromise anti-glare treatment of some kind. But going back to matte after using glossy is really hard. It actually looks like something's wrong with the screen. My opinion of course. Is there no acceptable anti-glare treatment or other technology in the works that will reduce or nearly eliminate glare? This does seem to be a religious issue on this board.
I concur with Solipsism. My i7 has been on for a while but I was taking a very critical eye to it on that first start up, looking for unevenness and blotchy lighting and/or bad pixels. On startup, with that huge 27" gray screen, my iMac is as uniform and clear as I can imagine it can be produced. You can move side to side and it's still uniform. You can, however, move your head up and down and the bottom inch seems to have somewhat of a 'band' of uniform darker lighting....
I just got wind of a huge tip from my source inside Apple. It appears they will be working on 10.8 after they ship 10.7. You heard it here first. I'm hoping for a spiffed up UI. Some really creative touches that help us get around, manage files, and work with windows, especially on these new large monitors. We definitely need scaling. I'd add to the wish list the ability to send voice messages via mail, like the NeXT OS used to. Publish and subscribe was a great...
My i7 iMac arrived yesterday and it's a beast. The monitor just blows you away. Much finer brightness adjustments that allow it to go uncomfortably bright to dim enough to use upon just waking up. This will be my first iMac that I turn the brightness down a few notches below full brightness. Some quick observations: the mouse is wonderful in your hand. Scrolling is smooth and similar to the iPhone in momentum when you flick. But even with the settings on mouse speed on...
I'm really excited to get my hands on the new iMac. I ordered the 2.8 GHz i7 w/ 8 GB RAM. And I will be zeroing my current iMac out for use at our office. I'll have them side-by-side on the dining room table for speed tests. My favorite test being converting video clips via VisualHub. I found it interesting that some people mentioned running their monitors at half or lower brightness. I have always preferred the full brightness during the day and only turn it down at...
Doesn't hang while running Repair Permissions in Disk Utility and Expose (all windows) is fast and smooth once more.
I knew someone would bring up the liver and try to tie SJ's wealth to his successful liver transplant. If he was given special priority, it still doesn't undo all that he's done for mankind.
It's the charisma thing. One of the best books on Steve Jobs is The Journey is the Reward. Great read. Lots of insight into the amazing and talented SJ. I give much credit for Apple's success to his vision and taste. Hire lots of talented designers and let them create with freedom and passion. Laptops do not need to be like Rolexes, carved from solid blocks of aluminum (or whatever metal). But Apple does this out of pride. Truly amazing. They could be cutting costs...
I have two boys under 10 years old who are slowly migrating away from DS and Wii to the iPod touches and Mac games. This is a double whammy for Nintendo as they also lose revenue on those expensive, high-margin games. Nintendo's biggest asset, as far as I can tell in this neighborhood, is the Mario franchise. Both boys are going as Mario this year for Halloween. As a parent, all I can say is thank god for the shift. Huge savings along with sprinkling educational Apps...