or Connect

Posts by bugsnw

Apple has been incredibly successful by controlling the entire widget. Many customers have been complaining loudly about their experiences with AT&T. You can't buy an iPhone without it. Mobile seems to be the word of the day. You can't be mobile without access to the internet somehow. We might see a big move before Jobs departs. I don't think he'd want to leave one of the largest piggy banks ever created at the hands of lesser mortals.
Movies handle this issue just fine. And I hope we've come to realize that kids who see women in bikinis do not spontaneously combust. Let's hope some intelligent ratings system is in place and utilized effectively. Things should be in the proper category and perhaps the categories expanded. The way Apple has handled this is puzzling and opens them up to ridicule and hypocrisy.
I am still amazed at the NeXT OS. I have a still-running NeXT Cube with the '040 CPU and it's really a marvel of engineering. I still like tear-away menus and NeXT's version of 'publish and subscribe' which works beautifully even across networks. It was so far ahead during its era. The optical drive was not reliable and I lost a good portion of my college career when that thing failed to mount discs. Even with that, I still love that thing like a first crush.
I've seen the mighty Atom processor at work in a netbook. I was prepared to be underwhelmed, but what I saw was shocking. So incredibly slow as to be nearly useless. My father in law actually gave it away, which is what I would have done. I'm glad Apple didn't move in that direction for the iPad. 10+ hours is impressive. We haven't seen numbers like that announced for tablets, let alone tablets with beautiful, vibrant screens and functioning GUIs. R&D being what it is, I...
Well just look at what's coming right around the corner: iPad. Over 10 hours of battery life. Not much blew me away in SJ's presentation, but the half-day battery life sure did. This is what's known as 'competitive advantage.' It's part of what is going to make the iPad special and different from the competition.
This is a smart investment by Apple. It will offer a competitive advantage across their product lines. I imagine Apple will utilize these custom chips in all their products as soon as possible. I think back to the Amiga computer in the 80s and am stoked about the potential new capabilities and features coming. No one innovates like Apple so we should look forward to drool-worthy products coming out of Cupertino in the near future.
The top end at $829 seems high. Perhaps at that price the all-you-can-eat wireless plan could have been thrown in? I might sit out the 1st gen on this one but am comforted by Apple's history of aggressive price reductions combined with additional features and innovation. This thing has a lot of potential. On the name? Yeah, iPad leaves my head spinning.
This has to be one of the more disappointing CES shows I've seen. I'm always excited to see new TV technology, improved displays, some new innovations in GUI or hardware. The detachable laptops are worse than a joke. Thurrott posted like they were the 2nd coming. So I wasted time wading through youtube videos. When I saw the plastic junk with the GUI that lagged far behind the finger input, I was........stunned. This year is flooded full of mediocrity. I don't think Apple...
A couple quickies... I'd like to be able to easily send large emails right from the comfort of Mail. Secondly, I'd like to be able to send encrypted emails that the recipient could open with a password. Resolution independence would be nice with this huge monitor.
You can never have enough power. As long as you convert a HD movie from one format to another and twiddle your thumbs, there will be room for innovation. I'd just like to see some hard drive innovation alongside the CPU. SSDs are very nice and look to be the future, so how about a modular approach to designing the inners of our computers. At least we could jump on future improvements a little more cheaply.