or Connect

Posts by bugsnw

File format compatibility or at least Data compatibility between versions as well as between OSes would be high on my list. Converting data is such a pain in the butt. We only use the various flavors of Quicken and Quickbooks because clients often use these products. But for robust accounting for small business, it's hard to beat AccountEdge from MYOB. They've figured out innovative ways to share data on networks and support their products in the manner Mac users are...
Ouch. That was one drawback to the GoogOS. He's outta there for sure. I hope Apple & Google stay friends enough to come up with some exciting potential collaborations, whatever they are.
Millmoss is correct. I pretty much stay out of threads like this because when it comes to law, a lot of emotion gets spewed around and not much legal objectivity. I love Apple, but SJ's desire for privacy does not trump securities laws. Being a CEO is a voluntary activity. It comes with much responsibility and potential public exposure. That said, I don't think the SEC will have enough to chew on to go much further than an investigation. At least it will prod Apple to...
I will be so happy when the day comes when we can stop using two browsers on our systems. Firefox is still needed for tax software and some govt. sites and even just now, I needed to revert to FF just to correctly print a return merchandise authorization at amazon.com. Safari split it oddly into two pages, cutting the barcode right in half. Firefox printed the 2 items perfectly, as expected. After all these years, why aren't these issues resolved???
This is fantastic news. I have always felt the iMacs hit a nice sweet spot for value/performance. Now they'll be even more compelling. Bring it on! A few months ago, when some of us nagged Apple to lower prices, many thought they'd never sacrifice margins. Well, as predicted, here come the lower prices! See, Apple DOES adapt to market realities. I give them kudos. Since a few are listing some of their wants, I'll ask for a few too: Affordable 500 GB SSD option. Or...
A lot of that money is spent on innovation. You might note that SJ can afford to go anywhere in the world for his care.
melgross, thank you for the sensible and even handed posts. This is a slightly murky issue, as you stated. But if you open up a typical Finance textbook, you'll see much time spent on job titles and duties and conflicts of interest concerns. SJ might be a lot of things - private, stingy, generous, mean, whatever. The law really doesn't care and Apple must operate within the law. The hazy way SJ's health has been dealt with might open Apple up to lawsuits. This is...
I'm glad SJ was able to take advantage of our world-beating health care and possibly extend his productive years by a decade or more! I know his DNA is intertwined with Apple and hopefully he'll always have at least a consulting role as they pump out more great products in the years ahead.
First I read the article, then I watched the video. I don't think the video illustrates what was quoted in the article. OLED is awesome. Can't wait for it on iPod touch. But in the video, the Zune screen looked garish and cartoony. The interface, although probably not complete, looked clumsy and unpolished. Huge text? Unresponsive interface? It looked like the next Microsoft Bob. Can't wait for the Macworld review. I truly hope it's a nice leap for Microsoft....
I was lucky to have a NeXT Cube during my college days. When Apple bought NeXT along with SJ, I couldn't wait for the adoption of superior UI elements as detachable menus and column view. I think SJ wanted to morph NeXT's paradigm into Apple's OS pretty much as I enjoyed it, but long time interface elements ended up lingering behind, such as the menu bar. It is a big change and takes a while to get used to. But being able to customize your Apps with the perfect set of...