or Connect

Posts by bugsnw

2013 will be the year we look back and realize Microsoft went full-tard on pricing. The Surface Pro and Office.   This is a huge opportunity for Apple. Personally I find Numbers clunky but I love Pages. I wish Apple hadn't gone 3 years between updates.   Now's the time to put some polish on these apps and remember that people would love to have a seamless experience between their desktop and mobile hardware.   Also add some group sharing functionality to the...
Steve Jobs hated Obama's business hostility and told him he'd be a 1-term president. Yet, he still sat down and had dinner with the President. Someone said earlier that you have to play the game. I agree. There are educational goals as well as repatriation ideas that deserve to be voiced by all parties.   I hate that racism is bandied about so easily by those on the left. If we are a racist country, we are doing a very poor job of it. (Ironically, the black iPhone...
Amazon.com collects sales taxes in WA state and their sales are doing just fine. They offer low prices because that's the bent of their CEO.   While it may seem like a minor advantage for Amazon to not have to collect sales taxes in many states, they lose some of that benefit as the typical consumer must trust shopping without seeing or touching while suffering the delays and costs of shipping.   B&M stores only have to know sales tax law in one state. It's...
It's almost like Thurrott is trying to create extra demand by so quickly blogging about MS's sellouts. Without knowing if MS pulled out the stops, like Apple does, producing as many Surface Pros as possible before the introduction, it's hard to pounce on this news and conclude that things are just about to turn around. I saw Ballmer at the CES saying that they are selling 4 x as many phones this month as last month. But 4 x what? Had the numbers been impressive, he would...
  What is excessive is something the IRS is probably debating internally. That's the 64K question, right? Do they need 300B or 400B? At what point is it excessive. They can build the spaceship building and plenty of RAM with what they have now. I'm not making that judgment, just posing the question.   How does it slow economic growth? Whatever portion of cash companies hang on to, whether overseas or not, is not being utilized as effectively as it might. If most...
  I don't think it's the actual sales tax that bothers Amazon but the difficulty in complying with 50 different states' labyrinth tax codes. Tax all online sales at 5% and remit to the appropriate state based on destination of goods. Simple. There, I just solved the problem. I'd say have the states match that rate for in-state business as well by simplifying the tax code and eliminating many deductions. I'd bet states would end up with more money.   In WA state, we get...
I'll be interested to see the Youtube videos showing the Surface Pro in action. The RT was astonishingly slow. I would even say unusable. Booting, loading apps, interface sluggishness.   Just from what I've read, the battery life of the Pro seems like it's killer feature. Meaning it just kills it. The fact that you end up with crumbs left for onboard storage is just the bonus.
  Better Apple have a plan for their excess cash than wait for the IRS to penalize them for it. I'm curious to those that prefer the status quo (even though Apple agrees with those of us that want to participate in some of the profits). At what point do you start speaking out for distributions or buybacks? When Apple has a trillion in cash on hand? Two trillion? More?
That seems to address the concerns of many about Apple's excessive cash hoard. Taxes be damned, I like dividends and buybacks.
  That was fascinating. I thought shareholders owned the company and the directors were, indeed, agents of the shareholders. I stand corrected.