or Connect

Posts by Quevar

The 2x scaling only occurs when using the "Best for retina display".  If you choose "Scaled" and "Larger text" or "More space", it is no longer scaled as 2x, which are supported options.  When selecting "More space", it runs at an equivalent 1920x1200, but there are actually 2880x1800 physical pixels.  When running at 1920x1200 on the retina, the text still looks clearer than it does when running on a non-retina display because there are still more pixels used to render...
Why not enable this for other screens as well? I realize that many displays do not have the needed pixels, but I have a Mac mini hooked up to a 1080p TV, but I have to run it at 720p so the text is visible. I have long been waiting for them to let me run at 1080, but scale everything up to allow the text to be the same apparent size as if it was running at 720. The text would be much crisper if rendered for the screen as opposed to letting the TV do the scaling. This...
I walked in to a store last Saturday to decide on the color and they had the one I wanted in stock. They were only accepting weborders, so I used one of their computers to order it and picked it up half an hour later. No line, easy process. But, I guess I had a less-in-demand config: 64GB, silver, T-mobile mini.
I updated my iPad, but find none of the new features worthwhile. It is just a different way of doing things, some a little better and some worse. I decided that it hasn't been worth my effort to update my iPhone and wife's iOS devices. At some point I might if compatibility becomes an issue, but I have not been limited yet and don't feel like I am missing anything.
Interesting to compare this to the punishment (nearly nothing) that Microsoft got about ten years ago when they were declared an abusive monopoly for IE. Allowing links to non-book content is way beyond what should be appropriate. However, they are probably bluffing and making it huge so that Apple will be more willing to negotiate something smaller without as much of a fight.
Just to put cpsro's comment in perspective:
Nah, they'll just come up with something else that bugs them like how much of [fill in the blank with some nasty chemical] that was used to make all of the solar panels or how they destroyed the ecosystem to build it.   I do wonder though, will the Cloud will work when there are clouds?  
That covers the case when you switch to a new file format, but you are still left with an extra copy that could easily be used later having forgotten about the other file. Why should that extra file be left there? What happens if I open it another text editor with more features? They would have the same name by default.What about if you are editing a .jpg and then save it as a .jpg. As per your description, the default will be to save it with the same name, but...
That is not what the article says: "The system handles the duplication and local saving of that file, and Pages can begin working on it just as if iCloud never existed. The original document remains in iCloud, tied to TextEdit. Pages (or any other app) can work on its copy, and save it to the file system just as always." (bold added)   If I save it, or slightly edit it, how do I know when I come back which is the most recent.  Worse yet, what if I forget I worked on it in...