or Connect

Posts by mjteix

@Winter, @hmm, @Marvin   The quad-core Iris pro cpu in the entry level 15" MBP, is not that much more expensive than the quad-core in the current midrange/server Mac mini ($440 vs $378, and would still generate economy of scale with the 15" MBP). The problem lies with the entry level Mac mini:   - moving from a $225 cpu (shared with the previous 13" MBP) to a $342 Iris cpu, is a much bigger step, and - it would involve a second motherboard for the Mac mini since Iris...
  That's the most stupid thing you have ever written! And you have written lots of them. All Xeon E3/E5 chips support PCie 3 including Sandy Bridge E5 parts that have been around for more than a year. Then PCie lanes have been on the cpus for a bunch of years now, with just a few legacy lanes on the chipset (IOH). Get an education before pretending knowing it all about processors, computers and Apple.   Of course PCIe 3 matters, even for prosumer things like Thunderbolt:...
  Nice reply to a bully.   What's more "surprising" is that the BTO 13" MBA (with a low-end 2.0 Core i7-3667U in it) performs as well as the standard 13" MBPs (classic or retina) equiped with regular faster cpus (2.5 Core i5-3210M or 2.6 Core i5-3230M). And once you configure those models with the same RAM and storage, the MBA is still cheaper.   MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012) Intel Core i7-3667U 2000 MHz (2 cores) geekbench score=6832 $1599 with 8GB RAM and 256GB...
  Re-read the article: he was named chaiman post-Jobs (he replaced Steve!), but is member of the board since 2000 and co-lead of the board since 2005.   You should be sent to work in salt mines for comments like that.
  It's funny how the same numbers can "mean nothing" and "support your point completely" at the same time.   You're in denial. I can understand that. You don't really know what little, versatile, and many really means anymore. You have a hard time understanding how 9037 relates to 4235. Or 7481 vs 3072. It happens. It's not getting easier as you're getting old.
Apple is using exactly the same cpus in the Mac mini than in the 13" and 15" MBPs. If Apple isn't exactly using top of the line performance in the Mini, there are still using very good Core i5/i7 parts with the best igpu Intel has to offer. But that doesn't matter, the results are the same: the cpu gap with AMD is HUGE!   Just look at geekbench scores those parts: Intel Core i7-3720QM 2600 MHz (4 cores) 10132  Intel Core i7-3615QM 2300 MHz (4 cores) 9037  Intel Core...
  No. None. Nay. Never.   http://www.behardware.com/articles/868-1/mobile-cpus-amd-a8-and-a10-vs-core-i5-and-i7-llano-trinity-sandy-and-ivy-bridge.html
Found that geekbench entry yesterday, the Mac mini would be much better with desktop cpus.   The Core i7-3770T is a 2.50GHz 4C/8T 45W desktop cpu ($294 vs $378 for the cheapest mobile quad-core cpu from Intel) and it has HD 4000 graphics. So even just for the server model, it would be great. There are a few other T series chips from Intel, maybe Apple could use the 35W 2.90GHz 2C/4T Core i5-3470T ($184, it has HD 2500 graphics only), in the regular model along with a...
Oh yes, you're pulling this out of your butt. I'm very familiar with tuaw's article (well,... blog), and nowhere in there, they are saying that Apple's desktop sales have been flat in the US and that it was because of a significant decline of MM and MP sales. And they have very little insider information in there, it's a regular analysis as many others have done + some speculation, because Apple doesn't disclose more detailled info. In any case, the only little bit of...
LOL, the USA are a marginal market now. Just like Luxembourg or Guinea-Bissau.   What happens in the USA alone doesn't even matter. Since when are we talking about Apple as regional outlet? In any case, Apple doesn't disclose the mix in each region, let alone in each country, so: FU. You don't have any numbers so, yes, there's nothing to debate here. You're just making assumptions all the way about the US market. Nowhere have I heard or read that Apple's desktop sales...