or Connect

Posts by mjteix

Yes you are: In any case, why would Apple "refresh" the MBP before the year's out, they didn't do it last year, they just offered more BTO options. The models stayed the same at the same price.
The Mac Pro is probably the only computer that doesn't need Thunderbolt as it already has PCIe slots, and most of what will be released (at first) as Thunderbolt devices will be based on existing PCIe devices or can be achieve internally (storage). Like I've already mentionned I don't think that we will see lots of gpu+TB cards, since TB requires at least 4x PCIe lanes, and gpus like 16x lanes. With only 16x PCIe 2.0 lanes per slot, you end up "limiting" the number of...
People won't have 6 TB ports in the near future. What can be hooked to what PCIe 3.0 slot? So now it's TB ports and PCIe slots on the same computer? So the MP isn't dead yet? Wow. Still not getting it. Let's talk about today or this year or even early next year, Thunderbolt at 10Gb/s, because you won't see 100Gb/s Light Peak before 2020 (that's Intel's own forecast), and you don't know when TB will move to v2 either. Those bi-directional 10Gb/s channels don't appear for...
The next generation of Xeon cpus will have more cores not fewer. And they will be faster and more power efficient, I really think they will offer a significant upgrade. For the MP, Apple will probably use 4-core, 6-core and 8-core cpus, that up to 16 cores for the dual-cpus models. The MP is certainly a weapon of choice for what you do. I would wait too. Depending on your budget (whether you're planning on buying a single cpu model or a dual-cpu model, for example), and...
I don't think you understand what Thunderbolt is whatsoever. A combo card like you described would need 40x PCIe 2.0 lanes to be fully functional. TB supporting up to 7 devices and all the bandwidth available being 4x, there will be instances when a few TB devices will saturate the port. With two-way devices close to 1x speed (DSP processing would be an example), people will have to determine if 4 devices are fully supported with or without a display on a single port even...
"you're limited by the read speed of the drive" in both situations, it's not because TB "runs" at up to 1.2GB/s that anything you put on TB will "run" at 1.2GB/s. Best case scenario with TB, using RAID for multiple 500MB/s drives is up to 4x PCIe speed. With a RAID PCIe controller card you can reach up to 8x PCIe speeds (you will need many many drives, but still). You can't use more that 2 displays on each TB port. And yes, the more devices you put on a single port the...
Still, that's what Apple offers in the brand new 13" MBPs (Sandy Bridge no dedicated graphics). If Apple thinks that's an upgrade over 2.40/2.66 C2D + 320M, the same will probably be true for the MBA. With ULV versions at 1.40-1.60Ghz, LV versions at 2.10-2.30GHz, and integrated graphics of the same series (HD3000, at a lower clock of course, but that's probably also the case with the current 320M in the MBAs), the 11.6" model may not get a huge boost (still with...
I agree with Apple using Mac-specific cards anyway. 2 problems however. - Intel said that there would be no TB (data-only) PCIe cards. Which is understandable since TB specs include 1 or 2 channels of video. - Most of what TB offers externally, a MP (or other high-end computer) can offer internally: either fast storage with RAID cards, or most of the audio/video TB devices that will be offered "soon" as those are based on PCIe connected devices anyway. Sure, in the...
You'd have to use SSDs like the latest OCZ Vertex 3 or Intel 510 Series to take advantage of SATA III, most existing HDD/SSD will offer the same performance on SATA II or SATA III. Or even SATA I depending on the drive. SATA I is OK for most HDDs (up to 150MB/s) SATA II is OK for those and mainstream SSDs (up to 300MB/s) SATA III is for the future (up to 600MB/s) For the performance evaluation, you can use geekbench, if you want, but IMO there are too many weird results...
Wow! You really live in another world. A world with different laws of physics. A world without measuring tapes. A world without calculators. Current MP: 20.1 x 8.1 x 18.7=3044in3, Your MP: 19" x 4.5U=7.88 x (18.7-3=)15.7" = 2350in3 That's not half or even 60%, that's more than 3/4 of the current MP (77%), and it probably won't fit 8 PCIe slots anyway. Thunderbolt doesn't "fan out" it's not a snake (you spent too much time rolling cables on stages), you can daisy-chain up...