or Connect

Posts by mjteix

And plenty other formats.
Promise Pegasus R4 and R6 will be available for order from the Apple Store and authorized resellers in Q2 (april-may-june). Pricing will be announced at a later date.LaCie Little Big Disk featuring Thunderbolt™. 240GB SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB (7200rpm). Available Summer 2011.Industry Support – AJA – Apogee – Avid Technology – Blackmagic – Canon Inc. – Universal Audio – Western Digital CorporationTechnology brief for Thunderbolt technology PDF.
This makes absolutly no sense. - 8 full PCIe slots would take more than half the volume of a current MP, where do you put the cpus/RAM/ODD/power supply? Externally? - 32gbt of RAM slots doesn't mean squat, 32GB of RAM is not that much as the current MP can support 64GB, and would handle more if Apple had offered 6 slots per cpu instead of 4. - six 2TB SSD cards + 1 full graphics card = 7 slots, I don't know where you get 2 extra SSD slots, where do you put your pro audio...
Depending on the models... The Xeons are divided in multiples families of products, not all will be made available at the same time, and not all will be/can be/should be used in a MP. Except they can do that. It'd not be the first time Apple does silent updates. And you forgot the 1st 8-core MP mid-revision.How do you know that? The interconnect architecture of SB Xeons is way different than Nehalem/Westmere. While the concept of daughter/mother-board may stay, it could...
That's right, Intel changed the prices of some Xeon cpus long after Apple released the MP. Unless Apple buys new batches of cpus, you can't expect them to lower their prices at the same time Intel does.Sure. But the SB MPs will not be released before the end of the year or early next year. It would be a good gesture from Apple to "update" the MP before the summer, or at the same time they update the iMac, to offer (if not a lower price) a deserved boost in performance....
It may look not that much on "paper", but if they can do for the iMac something similar to what they did for the MBP: all 15/17" went from DC 2.40/2.66 to quad-core + ATI 6000 graphics + Thunderbolt at similar prices, it will be significant. Currenty, only the $1999 iMac has a quad-core cpu, and only the 27" models can get a 3rd (SSD) storage device. If Apple can move all models (or at least the 3 better) to quad-core cpus + a graphics bump, a Thunderbolt port... and offer...
There is no indication that Intel will significantly refresh mobile SB cpus before the end of the year. Last year they did so for Arrandale, but I have to say that the original batch was not that great (very low clocks from the start). Apple didn't refresh the 2010 MBPs later, they just offered a couple of faster cpus as BTO options, it may well be the case again this year, yet the faster models may just be 0.1GHz or 0.2GHz updates (up to 10% boost). It's probably better...
Some of the low-end models (E3-1200 series-pdf) will have different/better graphics than the mobile or desktop K-series SB cpus (P3000). But those are not the ones that will go in the MP (Xeon E5-2400/2600 series, late 2011), they are very similar to the desktop Core i5/i7-2000 series, with the addition of 4x PCIe lanes (useful for TB) and ECC RAM support. Pricing has yet to be revealed. Xeon E3-1220 = 3.1GHz 4C/4T Core i5-2400 without integrated graphics (80W) Xeon...
Ask them! The controller chip itself is small 15x15mm (or so), but to be full-featured you also need another displayport output, and a miniDP port, in a notebook that means a gpu capable of handling 3 displays (one internal and 2 external). I think that most modern dedicated gpus can handle that, maybe not Intel's HD3000 (I don't know)... Apple would have to support 3 displays and find room for another miniDP port, while it may be "easy" on the 15/17" MBPs, maybe not so in...
That reminded me of an article about the new MBPs that connect to the dedicated gpu using only 8X lanes (achieving about 99% of the performance), from the remaining 8x lanes, 4x are used to connect to the Thunderbolt controller. But to echo your statement, and no disrespect to zeph, many pro audio interface/processing cards are only 1x cards, like Apogee Symphony cards or Universal Audio UAD-2 DSP cards (even the QUAD model), and I think that all Pro Tools HD cards are...