or Connect

Posts by Scooterboy

The Intel Integrated Graphics (GMA 950 in the MacBook) is a Graphics processor that utilizes system main memory (RAM) as opposed to a dedicated GPU that uses it's own dedicated video RAM. So far, the Intel graphics solutions have really sucked for 3D gaming, and the more recent GPU's from nVidia and ATi are required by most 3D games, such as The Sims. If you are even an occasional 3D gamer, you won't likely be playing them on the MacBook. You'll either want a MacBook...
Actually, isn't OS X with it's "Core" technologies assigning more and more work to the GPU (which the MacBook lacks)? It just seems really cheap of Apple to go with integrated graphics after they've made such a big deal about using the GPU more and more. What was nice about the iBooks is that they've always had a respectable GPU. I think I'm gonna sit out this round of Apple PC's, and wait for Merom. My PowerBook 1.5 GHz w/ Radeon 9700 128 MB is still performing...
Anyone who wants to even occasionally play 3D games cares. Most students will want to play games occasionally. I couldn't find any games at Aspyr that listed Intel Integrated Graphics as even minimum requirements, although some older games, such as Civ 3, had no minimum GPU. Most games require at least a Radeon 7500 and recommend at least a Radeon 9000. The iBooks with their "crappy" G4 can play most of the games from MacSoft, Aspyr, and Blizzard. The new Macbook,...
Intel seems to be forcing more that a few of it's features onto Apple products and possibly requiring Apple to drop some of its non-Intel features. FW800 comes to mind. Now, dedicated GPU's. Face it, Intel Integrated Graphics are really only for the boring business crowd. The PC laptops that use them are strictly low end business models. The iBook is targeted at a younger demographic that, like it or not, plays games. Now that Apple finally has some up to date...
I use the USB M-Audio Sonica Theater soundcard. It supports up to 7.1 sound, Core Audio, OpenAL, and works well with VLC, which decodes the Dobly Digital and DTS multichannel audio content on DVD's. I use the USB card because I have a PowerBook. You can use the PCI Revolution 7.1 or Revolution 5.1. These cards have better driver support than the USB Sonica Theater and also support Sensaura, EAX, DirectSound, and A3D. M-Audio sound cards feature excellent Digital to...
Well, Apple is hiring "BIOS engineers" or so I read somewhere. They said that Open Firmware is dead, at least for OSX. So, no more Target Firewire mode, no more boot from FW disc, CD, etc? A fair amount of stuff we take for granted may be lost in this "upgrade" to x86.
The PowerBook should be a perfectly capable computer for your uses. My 1.5 GHz hasn't really choked on any task I've yet given it. It's just that with Apple moving the Mac to Intel x86, the future looks shakey right now, and for the current offerings, the future is fairly short. PowerBooks and iBooks are expected to make the move to Intel sooner than the PowerMac and iMac. Once Mac OS X is moved fully to Intel, PPC-only Mac apps will have to run in emulation if they...
I'd think that the eMac will get some kind of Celeron processor. Then Apple could drop the price to under $400.
Just keep in mind that all PPC (G4 and G5) based Macs are essentially EOL'd. Since Apple is moving to Intel x86, the current line of Macs have a planned obsolecence of only a few years. Apple and their Macs are in a state of transition now, and I wouldn't recommend anyone buying one unless he/she really understands what's going on at Apple, and clearly needs a Mac now.
Why not just boot the MacTel up in Windows? Buy the Windows games and play them in Windows. Mac Gaming as it exists now is dead, I think. If a gamer can boot his or her Mac in Windows, what's the point in porting games to OS X?