or Connect

Posts by auxio

It also requires the user to be carrying their Zune for internet access.
Not to mention mine's all Gigabit, so it's way faster (even if I did have everything 802.11ac, which I don't).  Plus there's no concerns about interference from other networks.  I don't really understand why it matters whether your network is wireless or wired: at the application level, packet routing is all the same. And yes, I understand that I can have both network types enabled at the same time.  But I like to turn Wi-Fi + Bluetooth off on my laptop to save power when...
wow did that upgrade ever take a *hristime on my late-2012 iMac.   I actually thought it was hanging the first time around as it was just sitting at one minute left for about an hour.  So I force restarted my computer.  When the same thing happened the second time around, I checked the installer log and it was scanning every single file on my machine doing some sort of permissions repair.  I have a lot of small files for software development and this was a very long...
I fully understand that once you start installing and configuring your own services, you're back in the realm of Linux again where you get what you pay for in terms of maintenance and support as you upgrade.  It's the reason why I stopped myself when I started to explore the technology used for the OS X's firewall (pf, from the OpenBSD community) and considered using IceFloor for more advanced configuration. I'm hoping that if/when Apple does drop support for Server, there...
 And then spend weeks figuring out the latest and greatest incantations of setting up firewall rules, configuring services, etc.  That's why I eventually gave up on Linux -- just didn't have the time to relearn everything every time I upgraded.  I'm all for progress, but at least provide an upgrade path which doesn't involve a couple solid weeks of looking through sparse documentation and reconfiguration. We'll see how it goes with upgrading my OS X Server box here... the...
 My friend was actually working on noodles made from cricket flour.  Doubt most people would even know at that point.
 Agreed -- it has been a scare tactic used in various forms in attempts to control/manipulate society and procreation for centuries. I just had an in-depth discussion with a friend of mine working in the food & agriculture industry the other day discussing the merits of cricket farming.  Near zero energy usage and very little land required to provide a sustainable food source.  As you stated: innovate and adapt.
To the naysayers, I'd argue that it's about giving people a choice as to when they want to have a family.   That said, I do agree that those who choose to have a family earlier in life should also be given an option for daycare services and facilities to get back to a more work/life balanced career later on.  It should work both ways and not be biased towards life choices which also happen to be more beneficial for the employer.
 Oh, I'm a software guy too.  I'm just speaking from experience of having to support shoddy hardware. And DuckDuckGo is a service, so it's a bit irrelevant here because they can choose the hardware their service runs on (aside from being at the mercy of shoddy browsers).
 Or duckduckgo it...  "People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware".  Otherwise you're at the mercy of forever having to support lowest common denominator/lowest bidder hardware.