or Connect

Posts by auxio

You're right.  It was the second iteration of the iMac (about 1 year later) which added FireWire ports.  But regardless, it was a fixture on all Macs after that point up until recently.  Some PC manufacturers had already adopted it at that point, otherwise device manufacturers wouldn't have cared about the Mac-only market (which, despite the success of the iMac, was still very tiny in 1998-2000).  Also, PS/2 to USB adapters were commonly included with devices as a cheap...
 Apple put USB on the iMac because they needed a port for mice + keyboards and were transitioning from the old ADB ports.  It was never considered to be used for anything more than than low-bandwidth devices.  Apple was behind Firewire as the next generation, high bandwidth device connector for things like external hard drives, cameras, iPods, etc.
 I think you need to study the history of Apple a bit further.  Dating back to the original Apple I & II projects, they have always tended to design things themselves when existing technology wasn't good enough (e.g. Wozniak's custom disk controller).  They also used SCSI instead of serial/parallel ports, and Firewire instead of USB for many years.  Jobs was notorious for shunning technologies he didn't feel were well-designed (even if they were cheaper). The only reason...
Or a tax break from the Japanese government.
 While everyone certainly wants everything they buy to be as cheap as possible, there are many of us who understand what goes into making products, and who wouldn't be willing to sacrifice build quality and user experience (including ads and data mining) to get that lower price. For the people who are willing to make that tradeoff, there are certainly plenty of cheap PCs and low-end Android phones/tablets out there for them to choose instead of Apple products.  The fact...
 Oh yeah, I have an 8 year old Mac Pro in my basement here too, so I know that this is the only option.  I just find it funny that not much has changed as far as using expansion cards goes in the 30 or so years I've been working with computers (and well beyond that). Oh, and running a computer with the side panel off isn't really dangerous unless it's sitting right beside you.  I've run plenty of server machines that way.  They do tend to get pretty dusty over time though...
 I'm personally looking forward to an elegant TB2-based external graphics adapter solution (this is a start).  It just feels so 1970s to still be plugging in expansion cards.
 Maybe you can explain the process of how one would go after a small, likely government-sponsored company in China? While I don't think the blame solely rests with the retailer, there needs to be some regulation in place which ensures that devices which have the potential to illegally harvest information from buyers without their consent never make it onto store shelves.  And the penalty for violating the regulation would apply to anyone who had a hand in bringing it into...
 And figuring out how to avoid them again, and figuring out how to avoid them again... I've played this game over the years with all sorts of data harvesters: you get on their lists by signing up for an account somewhere, they automatically opt you in for everything, requiring you to spend time trying to find the way(s) to opt out, only to have them add/change their opt-in options and automatically opt you in again. These days I sign up for as few online accounts as...
I don't know about Chrome's excuse since it's a relatively new app, but for an older app I work on, there are a ton of things in the OS X SDK that aren't available for 64-bit (and the replacement functionality is non-trivial to port your app to). One example is advanced text layout: some things you could do with ATSUI aren't easy to recreate with CoreText.  And users tend to get angry if you break the text layouts they've spent a lot of time on.  This is something I'm sure...