or Connect

Posts by auxio

That can't seriously be the name of this event...
 And how many exploits will never be fixed because the device owners can't get the fixes for one reason or another (the OEM won't supply the update and/or Google stopped supporting their version of Android).  Sometimes it can take a while to make the right fix -- you need to pinpoint where it needs to be made (possibly multiple locations to cover all cases) and then regression test everything to make sure it doesn't break compatibility with everything that's using that...
Yeah, I'd be happier with Apple paying the cost of the manufacturing error to their technical support staff than to a team of lawyers.  Also looks a lot better in the eyes of customers.
 Sure, for major OS updates it's fine that some phones just simply don't get them (and Google doesn't force OEMs to provide them).  However, major security bugfixes should be back ported and provided to the majority of Android users (and Google does force OEMs to provide them).
 Sure there is: millions of people are walking around with phones that have well known security problems and no way to fix that aside from getting a new phone. This could lead to all sorts of fraud being committed against those people, and the subsequence expense of investigating and stopping that fraud. Real-world/practical loss. Obviously there are people walking around with very old iPhones that have similar problems, but the number of such people is nowhere near as large.
And so we arrive back at the main point, which is that Google could force OEMs to provide updates if they wanted to because most OEMs have no alternative but Android.
 And the alternative is what?  License an OS (thus increasing the cost of their handset) or create/support their own OS?  Aside from Samsung and Sony, no OEMs would have the resources to do the latter and hope to succeed.  So Google knows most OEMs are painted into a corner they've created by making Android free.
 The device compatibility approval process (as I just stated).  The whole point of this discussion was about Android updates, so why would we think that you were talking about other OSes?
 Sure anyone can, but there is an approval process if you want to market your device as an official Android device.  This is what Crowley is referring to. Here's a good example of when they've used that approval process to stop Motorola from shipping a phone which used a competing positioning service.
I personally had my phone waterproofed so that I could shower with it. /s I've seen a few people with gold iPhones and no case.  But they tend to carry the phone in a (luxury) handbag or similar.  And there are some cases designed to show the color of the phone.  So I do understand the choice of color, and it's fine if you simply prefer gold.  However, the marketing for this particular phone (the gem image) is definitely targeted at the precious material coveting crowd....