or Connect

Posts by auxio

I was just going to say this: it can obscure the view of others behind you who may want to see/take a picture of the same thing.  The fact that many people don't see this instinctively makes me wonder if perception of the impact of our actions on others is being lost to adaptive evolution (serves no purpose in a society based on self-interest) or the fact that we're just too absorbed in our devices all the time.
 No, we were debating whether it was purely a platform for showcasing web apps.  My argument is that 3rd party apps were intended all along, and it just took a little longer to get there due to Jobs' tight/crazy release schedules and the need for prioritization.
 Jobs was always like that from what I heard -- he had to be convinced of things outside of his scope of focus.  He respected the top engineers, and so if the top engineers wanted something to happen, it would happen eventually.  I'm certain the top engineers wanted 3rd party apps from the start, so it was all but an inevitability.  Which is why a lot of us were prepping for it beforehand.
 How is a sandbox a critical element for creating an app?  It's only needed for security.  Seriously, I (and many others -- Erica Sadun from TUAW for one) had tons of native apps on the original iPhone.  They weren't signed or sandboxed (kinda like apps on jailbroken iPhones), but they worked just fine for learning the capabilities of the iPhone and how to develop apps for it.
 Not really.  If you read the backstory on the creation of the iPhone, Apple rushed it to market very quickly (burning out a few engineers in the process).  So some things, like a 3rd party app development environment, had to be left out to make the deadline. As someone who was involved with helping reverse-engineer a development environment for the first iPhone, I can definitively say that all of the native development frameworks were in place already (but only Apple...
 Actually, this was my favourite part:  This pretty much captures the effect Google has had on the software industry: people now expect everything to be free and could care less about how shoddy and poorly designed things are (or how many IP loopholes Google used to make it free).  They'd rather waste a ridiculous amount of time learning how to use cr*p software (or just never really learning how to use it properly at all) than pay a bit up front to save time and sanity in...
 I think most of those people are thinking solely about off-contract phones ($100 isn't much of a difference when you're paying $600+ for the phone).  However, on-contract, $100 is half off. Considering that the vast majority of the target demographic for the 5C likely isn't buying high-end phones off contract at full price (no matter what the brand), half off is going to appeal to them.
 Sure he did.  But regardless, analysts and media types would still contrive reasons that new products would fail (specs aren't good enough, missing this feature or that, not user-serviceable, etc).  I'm fully aware of what's out there.  Heck, I helped develop one of the first pieces of jailbreaking software for the 1st gen iPhone because I didn't like the limitations and wanted to see what was possible with it (that and I needed to figure out how to activate it in...
 Tallest, you seem to be forgetting that, in almost every case where analysts and tech media have slammed Apple's new products, they've gone on to sell in record numbers.  Just treat it as a sign that it's going to be another record-breaking year for Apple.
 Um, I vividly remember the exact same reaction to most of Apple's product announcements under Jobs (iMac, iPod, iPad, etc, etc).  Right.  Because it's actually in the multitude of device+manufacturer+Android version specific beaming technologies which are promoted to death.  Or the plethora of other ill-conceived, manufacturer-specific features which only appeal to people who love mindlessly compiling checklists.  One could almost say that... they're doomed!