or Connect

Posts by auxio

I agree.  And if I were 10 years younger I'd be very adamant in that position as well.  However, viewing things from the perspective of how much it costs to design and develop new technology, why should they invest a whole bunch of their R&D resources into polishing OpenGL, just so that Samsung can come along and get all of the benefit of that work without spending a dime? Personally, I think that Apple should continue making their technologies open standards (like...
 You're forgetting the Xbox One in all of this.  The preferred platform for the type of gamers who would need the type of 3D rendering performance Metal enables is still consoles.  As much as people here talk about it, AppleTV still isn't a console (yet).  So DirectX 12 is relevant even if Windows Phones aren't. That said, Metal does set things up nicely if/when the AppleTV can facilitate the type of gameplay consoles currently provide (either with more powerful devices,...
 And Apple went from about $5 a share in 1998 to over $600 a share building products on top of the technology foundation created at NeXT.  Obviously there's more to the picture (well-designed hardware, good marketing, etc), but it was a big part of making that happen.
 I agree.  The technology created at NeXT was decades ahead of its time and, when the cost of the computing hardware required to make it work came down to levels which the average person could afford, it enabled the turnaround of Apple.  Hardly comparable.
 It's also useful to have both for mastering audio which is going to be played in all sorts of different environments.  I mean, you can engineer songs to sound really good in an isolated sound environment (like in closed headphones or a sound dampened studio).  But then, it may not sound so good when combined with outside noise/air.  So listening and shaping the sound to work well in both environments is important. As for mass-market applications, open-ear is better if you...
 Yeah, Beyer doesn't get a lot of press in the US (they actually don't do a lot of marketing period).  I did compare them with equivalent models from Grado and a few others at the time (around 10 years ago) and liked them the best.  I heard about them through discussions with people on sound engineering forums and mailing lists.  Had to go out of my way to find a pair to try out, but it was worth it.  Nice flat/even response across the frequency range, a wider frequency...
 As with any sense (taste, smell, etc), there is a different range of experience for everyone.  And, of course, the more you learn and pay attention to details, the more you tend to obsess over them (which is where age becomes a factor).  I remember reading an article about an audiophile who paid ~$30k for a power conditioner for his home because he could hear a slight click in his music when his refrigerator turned on.  It would be classified as a form of OCD by most, but...
 More an assault on the electroacoustic engineers at Apple who worked on the EarPods.  Ive certainly had a hand in them from an aesthetic standpoint, but he's an industrial designer and likely doesn't have much experience in the field of acoustics.
 I've been using Beyerdynamic DT770's for studio reference headphones for years now and really like them.  Well under $1000.  I haven't tried their mobile offerings though (the DT770s are a bit bulky to wear outside of the studio).  That's kinda what this is about: headphones you'd use on the go with your iPhone/iPad.  I know I certainly wouldn't take a pair of $3000 headphones out of my studio.
 You selectively chose one of the "dramatic" paragraphs and, from that selective choice, declared the whole article as being propaganda.  What about the parts dealing with the history of PageRank technology?  Are those propaganda too?