or Connect

Posts by auxio

I get it... because Monster was secretly the original designer of such connectors as RCA and HDMI rather than just a company which gold plated existing designs, invented marketing terms such as "oxygen free", and artificially inflated the value.  So that's why they're comparable to Apple. Thanks, but I'll support companies which pay trained hardware designers what they're worth rather than state-sponsored companies who wait for the next tech trend to rip off.
 Agreed -- people are oversimplifying by saying that it's $300 just to view the keynote. However, the problem is that it is now essentially a paid event (even if it is still possible to get in for free).  Which is completely understandable given the costs of running a conference, and it's likely just to break even on things, but it still changes things when money is involved.  Like it or not, AltConf is now classified as a paid, commercial event, and so it needs to follow...
 iOS is OS X at the core.  So one could get a good sense by comparing an iPad Air 2 to a MacBook (using Mail, iWork apps, Safari, etc).  I don't have either device, so unfortunately I can't do such a comparison.
 The trouble with Apple Pay in Canada is that none of the banks support it yet.  However, I've heard from a few people who are already set up with it in the US that, when they travel to Canada, they can use it just fine at a contactless payment terminal. So I'm guessing that the cashiers have had to deal with so many Canadians who don't understand that they need to be able to set up their credit cards before they can use Apple Pay (and that, in turn, depends on their bank...
 I think the point is that most of the newer chip-and-pin systems are also capable of supporting Apple Pay given that they now accept contactless payment (VISA payWave, MasterCard PayPass, etc).  Apple's web page on Apple Pay shows that you can look for the contactless payment logo.
 Right, so computers which support TB 3 will have dedicated hardware for adapting to USB 3.1 devices rather than relying on the CPU (as I figured).  I was speculating about hooking up a TB 3 device to a USB 3.1 connector (and having compatibility in that direction, albeit with lower speed and power) if that's even possible.  My guess is that, if it is possible, it would require the CPU to do the heavy lifting rather than having dedicated hardware to do so (like TB 3...
 Yeah.  My guess is that much of the data swizzling to convert USB 3.1 to/from TB 3 is going to be done by the CPU to keep things cheap (at the expense of overall system performance).  Again, my experience is more with Firewire when each device would have dedicated hardware which removed the need for bus management and data swizzling to be done by the CPU (but made devices more expensive).  But it's likely the same story with TB. And yeah, I agree that the lack of...
CIBC (Canada) can have an Apple Watch app available on launch day but yet still isn't on board with Apple Pay...
 Right, makes sense.  Cheaper cables for devices which don't have high requirements (generally consumer devices) but still have an option for devices which do.  Best of both worlds. As for whether TB3 devices can work with USB 3.1 cables, I'm guessing it'll be based on the bandwidth and power requirements of the device.  If the device doesn't have high bandwidth requirements, and gives the option for a separate power supply, then it should be able to work with USB 3.1. The...
I was going to say the same thing.  USB has never been a well-designed spec, but it caught on because it was cheaper than other connectors (and "good enough" for consumer devices). I'm guessing that USB 3.1 is actually Thunderbolt 3 simplified since there's no reason to have 2 specs now that both standards can support consumer and pro devices (the main distinction between USB and Firewire/Thunderbolt in the past).