or Connect

Posts by auxio

Agreed.  Here's a couple of videos I was going to use to argue the point about "standards".  Does this song:  become a "standard" if it's redone by a famous brass band:  ???  <- bonus points for getting this reference
 Ah, the man who studies under PhDs and likes his music to be complex shows that he doesn't understand the complexity of human language. :) The original reason why african-americans in the hip hop community started calling each other that name is because they were trying to take away the power that word had to hurt people.  It's like having people call you a loser all the time, and instead of getting angry at them and letting the word have power, you do the opposite: you...
 This very much reminds me of the racist attitude Jean-Michel Basquiat faced with his paintings in the art world.  I loved seeing when one interviewer called his work "primal expressionism" and he responded with: "You mean like an ape?  A primate?".  Call people on the BS racist subtext. It's really too bad that you only see the surface and stereotype of rap/hip hop by having such a closed mind.  I mean, should all rock music be judged by pop groups like Nickelback?  In...
 That was another point I was going to bring up: that the electric guitar wasn't considered a real instrument either at one point.  Or the fact that "sampling" has been going on for ages (musicians recreating something they've heard from other musicians in their own work).  D*mn is it ever frustrating trying to point out the shades of grey to those who only think in black and white. :)
 You're right.  It was an educated guess based on the fact that most musicians I know are a lot more open-minded about music than drblank.  As one's experience in a field grows, it tends to make them more humble (the more you know, the more you realize you don't know).
 There are many great musicians who never had any formal training whatsoever.  Paul McCartney for one (who also never knew how to read music).  Far too many early jazz and blues musicians to list (Muddy Waters, for example).  I really despise the largely white, upper-class, high-brow definition of what music should be and how it has been used throughout time to keep talented musicians from the lower classes in their place. As well, read a bit about the sound engineers who...
 I understand completely.  However, what's your definition of an instrument?  And would you also ignore the role of sound engineers in the music-making process?  The more you learn about music, and the more things you attempt in the production process, the more you realize you don't know. Andre Young (aka Dr. Dre) has been around the music business for a very long time and been involved in many roles.  Production, post-production, etc.  To dismiss him as a non-musician...
 Imagine this, non-musicians whose ignorance compels them to post on the internet and define what is and isn't music based on their own personal preference.  That almost never happens...
 Oh I have no doubt that they'll exploit the fuzziness of the copyright laws covering SDKs as much as they can. And now that they've had time to rework the internals of Android, they'll be sure to proclaim high & low that it's (now) not similar at all to Java.  All of that doesn't change the fact that, had they not cloned Java in the first place to get it to market quicker and with far less R&D costs, Android would not be where it is today.
 If it's fair use, then it's a loophole in the system that Google knowingly exploited.  Because clearly Sun/Oracle didn't give them permission to do what they did. Look, I came from the same technology background as many of the people at Google did: hacking Linux systems in my basement, trying to make it look like other OSes, cloning existing commercial applications, etc.  But not once did I think that it would be right to commercially release my work.  It was for fun and...