or Connect

Posts by auxio

I think it's more a matter of the fact that most people only think about their own situation.  So when they're healthy and don't need to use healthcare much, they won't support any system which they feel supports "freeloaders".  However, if/when they get a serious illness and can't afford the costs, then they'll do an about face and suddenly want a system that covers everything.  No ability to think about anyone but themselves.
 Funny, but I've always had the reverse experience: in most cases, web-based interfaces feel completely random to me as there's no UI guidelines or standardization.  Whereas native applications tend follow the UI standards set by the platform/OS creator, and so there's a level of consistency and familiarity once you get used to the platform.  I simply don't have time to fumble with and learn how to use a dozen apps which are all designed differently, and which are often...
You already can if you have a recent Mac.  Just use the Apple TV as an AirPlay connected display/audio device with your Mac. The only limitation is that you can't connect a Bluetooth mouse to the Apple TV (my one gripe with it).  So if you're not using a laptop, you'll need to ensure your mouse is within range of your Mac.  This is generally why people use an iPad or a laptop for AirPlay rather than a desktop Mac.
It's simple: Apple has drawn a line in the sand and isn't going to spend time and money back porting and testing the latest versions of WebKit (which supports the new APIs YouTube requires) on hardware beyond a certain point. Every technology company makes similar decisions: how far back are we willing to spend money to support?  Usually based on diminishing numbers of users of hardware the further back you go.
And have a half-baked OS that neither works well for a desktop PC or a tablet?  No thanks.  WinCE (literally), WinMo, Win8, 8.1, 10... maybe next decade they'll get it right.
I can guarantee that Microsoft could learn more about competitive software just by searching and analyzing stackoverflow than they would by harvesting and analyzing random crash dumps.
I'm still trying to figure out the whole "crash the iPad" part.  Crash the 3rd party app, sure.  But how does having bad map data bring down the whole iPad?   If I'm guessing correctly, that part is also hyperbole on the part of mainstream media.
 haha.  I really want to see this magical source code file that's going to ruin a company if someone else gets ahold of it.  Most software worth its salt is made up of hundreds of source code files that are interdependent.  So getting one of them out of context isn't going to be of much value to anyone.
I still fail to see why people are so in love with Visual Studio.  It's a decent IDE, but so is Xcode.  And given my poor experience with other Microsoft software on Mac (Office, Lync, etc), I'm not holding my breath on the quality.
A couple of concerns based on past experience:   Will Obj-C truly be a first class citizen on Windows?  Meaning, will you be able to do everything you can with native Windows APIs (now and in the future), will an app developed in Obj-C look and behave like a native Windows app, etc. Will MS end up taking the "embrace, extend and fragment/extinguish" route like they did with Java in the past?   Also, curious to know if they based their work off of the Cocotron...