or Connect

Posts by auxio

Again, it depends on what you need from your RAID.  For fault tolerance, you need to consider how many more reads and writes a given RAID level adds to achieve redundancy.  Increasing the number will decrease the life span of all the drives involved (even if the RAID level allows for one or more drives to fail).  And also, ensuring that you have drive diversity (different models and production runs) is important to decrease the probability of multiple drives failing at once.
Prosers?  Though writers may find that insulting...
 It all depends on what you're using your RAID for (fault tolerance, speed, or capacity).  There's also RAID 10 which gives you the fault tolerance gains of RAID 1 plus the speed gains of RAID 0 (at the cost of more drives).  And yes, I've lost RAID 5 arrays in that same way too -- I feel your pain.
 Really?  In such a scenario, a couple hundred bucks for an external TB drive pales in comparison to the cost of a high-end machine and the ongoing cost of a proper offsite backup service.  Especially given that an external drive gives you far more flexibility in how you work. So basically, a lot of blah blah blah with no examples of such people or the missing features they need, with an insult tacked on the end.  Well said.And here comes the cheapskate mentality.  What...
 Agreed on the user error and backup points.  However, statistically speaking, I fail to see how it's more likely that two drives will fail at the same time than one given the same number of disk accesses on all drives (RAID 1).  Especially if you ensure you source drives from different production lines and/or different manufacturers (as you should).
 Says the guy who has made MagicJack his tagline.
And here's a professional-grade storage solution for those complaining about the lack of internal storage on the Mac Pro.  No sane pro keeps important files on a drive with no redundancy or backup for any longer than they need to (if at all).
 Pretty much the same the world over for any distinct nationalities that live in close proximity to one another... 
 If only it was that simple… sog35 came up with a few more examples to add to my own.  Shall we go on all day thinking about the endless scenarios which could arise?
 Please connect the logical dots on that argument for me.  I wasn't the one who said any of this was 'simple', and have only argued against your assertions otherwise.