or Connect

Posts by auxio

And I'm willing to bet that Apple's fanatical attention-to-detail may actually be a major factor in getting people to have interest in the nascent smartwatch industry.  Rather than haphazardly putting as many half-baked features and options as they can into a product, as most of the industry does, they focus on a few features and make them truly outstanding.  This is something that competitors who are creating a product simply by putting together hardware and software...
Right.  But, given a scenario where you need to update all of the pixels frequently so that things stay smooth, it's clear that the GPU they have isn't powerful enough to do it. Sure, games programmers will work around this by forcing the resolution to be lower.  And for apps which aren't graphics intensive, it doesn't matter.  But it's a bit disingenuous of Samsung to pack more pixels into their displays simply so that they can claim higher pixel density than Apple, when...
I still don't understand how onscreen performance is being dismissed.  Even if you render everything to an offscreen pixel buffer, you still need to copy the contents of that pixel buffer to the one which is being used for displaying on the screen a certain number of times per second.  So you're still limited by the throughput performance of your GPU at that point.
 I won't argue on display quality, as that something which is a direct experience for the end user.  Though, similar to artificially increasing bass response in speakers/headphones to appeal to those who simply want to show off rather than hear the details of sound over the full audio spectrum, it's easy to bias a display towards things which are attention grabbers (but may not give a good experience in all situations).  But Sammy has plenty of expertise in displays, so I...
Because it's about end-to-end performance (of which the CPU is a small part).  It doesn't matter if the CPU is doing calculations at 500GHz, if the results are sitting in the cache waiting to be sent somewhere (e.g. main memory, disk, screen), it doesn't make any difference.
 Apple is unlike most other companies in the industry in that they will not claim official support for something unless it works _well_.  So even though the latest MBA can support 4K @ 60Hz simply because the Intel HD 6000 GPU inside supports it, the performance sounds pretty horrendous when you actually try to use it. In my experience, Intel's GPUs are pretty much minimum spec for running 4K.  If you're watching videos, they should be fine.  But if you're using...
When you read the details about how animations become flip books at that resolution, it really can't (and Apple is justified in not claiming it can).  Even though the Intel GPU used in the Air can output a signal at 60Hz 4K, it's clear that it simply doesn't have enough power to do anything more than display static images. I've worked on optimizing software for 4K displays, and it's amazing how many people will buy a 4K display, turn around and try to run it with something...
 Right, but there are still plenty of things which could make copter drones feasible for delivering over fairly long distances.  High-density/lighter battery cell technology (an active area of research), a network of landing stations which ensures there's a place to land/recharge within range of the last one, mid-air handoffs to another drone, etc.
As opposed to a delivery truck causing similar damage?
 With the current consumer drones, sure.  But the military has already used drones for many years to perform long-range unmanned operations.  It's just a matter of time before some of that technology makes its way into consumer drones.  With Amazon's level of interest, it's likely already within the price range of big companies.