or Connect

Posts by auxio

Go apply for a job helping to design iOS and show 'em how it's done.  Would love to see how fast your ego shrinks explaining your ideas in a room full of people who have spent their entire careers defining the field of human-computer interaction.
 That picture just proved my last point: the user interface for that feature has leaked out into the general experience, and thus, there is another paradigm to be learned before one can use the device.  It's amazing how technology people think that learning these things is just "innate".  They can't even see outside of their own experience.
 But it would.  What would he do if he was met with a list of user accounts at the lock screen?  As he is on a desktop PC which isn't set to auto-login one of the accounts.  What would he do if a FaceTime call came in and asked whether he wanted to switch accounts to answer?  What if he accidentally tapped something or made a gesture which caused the account switch interface to show? Your argument holds for things which are purely contained to the preferences.  But as soon...
 Last point: please explain to my 80-year old father what controls and desktops are.  One needs to take a step back and think about all the metaphors and terminology they've had to learn in order to operate a PC, to really grasp how much the iPad has simplified things for people like my father.
 Let's get back to the example of multi-user.  This requires a whole new layer of user interface.  A way to authenticate a user at any time: from the lock screen or switching while in mid-use.  Also a way to identify which user is currently "logged in" at any time.  It also requires a method to set up multiple accounts.  And what happens if a FaceTime (or similar) call comes in for another user account?  I could keep going with more and more intricate details like this as...
 Yes.  I have a lot of experience in designing technology for use in situations where people have very little experience with (or interest in) technology.  Simple is king, and this is where the iPad has won with the general population. Unfortunately, I also have experience trying to explain this to colleagues who have spent their whole lives learning all sorts of intricate details about technology, and can't understand why the rest of the world isn't like them.  Much like...
 Here's a few reasons: - The average tablet is less than half the cost of the average laptop- The average tablet has around 1/20th the storage capacity of the average laptop (a huge factor for supporting multi-user)- The user interface for tablet software is designed to be much simpler than that of full-blown computers.  The more complexity you add (multiuser, advanced settings, etc), the more you destroy the benefit of tablets for most people.  This is the very reason why...
 You could do that with FireWire previously as well (though Gigabit ethernet with a crossover cable was still faster).  So it would make sense that they'd eventually bring that capability to Thunderbolt.  Now, add channel bonding on top of that, and you've got a symphony!
 Except then you're stuck with Windows.
 It's 13% where I live.  However, I've been to other areas of Canada where there's less sales tax, and I find that the price of things in retail stores is generally higher.  So the tax is just hidden in the cost of goods (i.e. applied somewhere else in the chain).  However, for things like Macs where you pay the same no matter where you order it, I always try to get it shipped to somewhere with lower sales tax.