or Connect

Posts by auxio

ok, this discussion is definitely bordering on "fanboism" (yes, I said it).   While the average person could care less about someone getting at their pictures and contacts (since they're probably all available on Facebook anyways), there could *shock* actually be people like law enforcement officers who do care about criminals getting ahold of their contacts (so that they can find out about an investigation, threaten people, or worse).   Obviously, those people...
  Someone who has disassembled (reverse engineered) parts of iOS, noticed the potential for the bypass, and was able to reproduce it?  I was pretty amazed when I saw what people were capable of discovering via reverse engineering prior to Apple opening iOS up for app development (SDK).
  Maybe you should run a server which is exposed to the Internet at large sometime and see what happens.  I've watched a server get port scanned and hammered with requests on every available port many times a day.  In this day and age, any commercial server software should have proper throttling capabilities built into it, and throttling of all client connections should be the default setting.   That said, it's no excuse for Apple to write a poorly behaved client.
  Batch files ought to be enough for anybody.
  One person said that, then two people refuted it with logical arguments.   Looks like it's an iOS problem.  However, it's stupid that you can't just blanket set a minimum reconnect interval for all clients on the MS Exchange Server rather than having to create a custom throttling policy just for iOS 6.1 clients.  Because, if someone wants to DoS your server, they can just keep changing the ID of their client and bypass any policy you put in place.
  It could be a poorly behaved client which keeps reconnecting to the server excessively.  Assuming each connection is logged, then that would cause log file growth and potentially make it slower and slower to access the log file.   Then again, MS should have something in place to throttle client accesses on the server side.  Otherwise it's susceptible to DoS attacks. (EDIT: Looks like they do, as this is one of the workarounds to the problem).   Anyways all hypotheticals...
  Yup, I know all about Alan Kay -- brilliant man, and definitely a huge influence on Jobs.  Apple should have tried to hire him out of PARC a long time before they finally did (in 1984).   The thing with Jobs is that, even if all the ideas weren't his own, he definitely understood and conveyed the profound meaning of them.  With Samsung, it just feels like they are regurgitating a mish-mash of slogans.  I dunno if it's lost in translation, or they need to do some LSD and...
  That particular Wikipedia article has links to mailing list archives which support what is written.  I also happened to live through and follow the whole KHTML->WebKit fork (I was working on both Linux and Mac OS X at the time).  And though I wasn't actually involved with the project, the Wikipedia article is accurate based on what I remember of it.
  This talk of the "intersection of" sounds vaguely familiar... oh, right, Jobs talked about the intersection of technology and liberal arts.  He also talked about the marriage of hardware and software coming from the same company.   It's amazing how someone can talk about innovation and yet echo another person's words in the same breath.  Are they willfully ignorant, or just missing the part of the brain which allows for self-awareness?
  Indeed, this is the way of all things: something is only relevant if enough people pay attention to/care about it.   However, I still see a project and all of it's forks as a continuum of the same core technology.  In this regard, you cannot say that Apple is solely responsible for WebKit.  One day, Apple's influence on the industry could change (or it could morph into a different type of company which has no interest in WebKit).  At which point, another Apple-like...