or Connect

Posts by auxio

Yes! The direction of moving to all applications needing to be signed and approved by the platform maker is a scary one. Think about these scenarios:Platform maker is partnered with a large entertainment company - thus you can't create an application which plays DRM-free audio/videoPlatform maker is partnered with a large cellular service provider - thus you can't create a VoIP application which works over any networkPlatform maker partnered with a large TV service...
And reading up about how to actually do the workaround, then taking the time to do it. The one other thing I've mentioned in this forum before is that, if a component in your Hackintosh fails, then you'll need to deal with the tech support for the manufacturer directly, file an RMA case, ship the component back on your own dime, then wait 4-8 weeks for a replacement. As compared to taking your Mac down to your local Apple Store and having the component replaced for you on...
Exactly! I think Moto's ad is effective, but in the wrong demographic. People who buy into the marketing line that personal appeal is directly tied to the aesthetics of the things they own generally aren't in the income bracket to be able to afford high-end devices requiring expensive service plans (i.e. good analytical skills generally go hand-in-hand with higher salaries -- nepotism and lineage aside).
I've considered a Hackintosh for my personal computer. The only problem is that, for every software update, you need to:Wait to find out whether it breaks Hackintoshes or not (do research on related websites/blogs/forums/IRC channels/etc) If it does break Hackintoshes, then you need to wait until someone's found a workaround for the issue (again, watching related websites/blogs/forums/IRC channels/etc) Potentially follow a highly technical set of steps to do the...
Is this what now passes for "culture" in the world of people who only work, hole themselves up in suburban dwellings at night, and go to shopping malls on weekends? God, I feel so out of touch with the world of vacuous consumerism...
Speaking as someone who has actually created software to use the built-in multitouch features on both Windows 7 and Mac OS X, this is a flat-out lie.Both Windows 7 and Mac OS X provide ways to use multitouch at the OS level. In fact, Mac OS X has had this ever since the multitouch trackpad came out (circa Tiger I believe). So Windows 7 is actually lagging a bit behind.As for using a screen rather than a trackpad, it's splitting hairs at that point. I've tried many...
I want to live in a world where software and hardware designers are paid as little as possible so that we can all have the cheapest computers. Not to mention zero innovation because it's much cheaper to just copy what's already been done than to invest in R&D for new products (ala the multitude of iPhone knockoffs). I'm not saying that the "Apple tax" completely goes into hiring highly skilled engineers and R&D, but I'd be willing to bet a good chunk of it does when you...
Complete agreement.People just don't get that, in order to be able to manufacture and sell an ultra-cheap PC at a profit, you need to do one or more of the following:Use components which are manufactured as cheaply as possible. After which you need to compensate for all of the problems created by those components in your operating system. Which is part of the reason why Windows PCs have had so many problems over the years (and why Microsoft has taken a long time to...
To me, it's a feature that audio and video are in separate cables. That way I get to pick and choose which device I prefer to use for audio and video separately. Rather than being forced in some scenarios to connect to a device which can separate the two streams for me. Modular design is a plus in my books.
I was just going to ask the same thing: where's the link to the original project which Psystar ripped off for this? Looks like it's the Chameleon project...