or Connect

Posts by auxio

That's the thing with USB: it always feels like those scam marketing campaigns which advertise one thing, but list another in the fine print.  Just list the real world speeds and limitations and let people make informed choices about what's right for them.   Really, it's a poorly designed bus with high amount of overhead and requires a complex controller to make it work.  However, because it came standard on every computer motherboard, and was "good enough" for most...
  In the first paragraph I'm talking about non-Apple devices, and in the second I'm talking about Apple devices.  TB is more likely in high-bandwidth, non-Apple devices because it works with both Macs and PCs (due to being an industry standard).   And yes, I agree with the second point: although Apple hasn't published any technical specs on the Lightning connector yet, I'm fairly certain that it can handle a large amount of bandwidth and be easily adapted to work with TB.
  If you go back to the original poster's point, you'll find that they were talking about the possibility of a Lightning port on 3rd party (non-Apple) devices.  My response was that TB is more likely due to the fact that it's an industry standard (not just an Apple technology).   I seriously doubt Apple will ditch their new, shiny Lightning port in favour of TB.  It's way more likely that they'd create a Lightning to TB adapter of some sort when the time comes.  So no,...
  Jokes about USB and "theoretical" maximums aside, 400Mb/s is for a JPEG2000 stream, which doesn't include audio and is lossy at that bitrate.  For raw, uncompressed 4k video, you need 3.8Gbps.  So video editors will definitely want to opt for TB.  Videophiles will likely opt for a higher bitrate to gain some quality as well.       Again, I reiterate the point that USB is computer-centric because the bus mastering device needs some very advanced logic in it.  I defy you...
  Of course, and it will always be that resolution, always be an iPad, require no more than 640k, and simply be a faster horse.   And yeah, one could spend forever converting content which will likely be distributed in a standardized 4k format down to 2k if they really wanted to.  But it's more likely that they'll just stream at 4k and downsample at the point where it's rendered.
  What about streaming a 4k video from your TB RAID to a hi-res iPad screen?  Goes directly from the RAID, across TB, into the video memory on the iPad (never hits the Flash storage).
  Think 4k video streams and you'll understand why TB has the bandwidth it does.
  The problem with USB is that it has been, and always will be, a computer-centric technology.  Given that it's a standard which Intel is behind, it's not hard to understand why they are pushing it.   The logic to control a USB bus is so complex that it's near impossible to do it in hardware alone (or would require some very expensive silicon).  Hence why you always need to be connected to a computer or computer-like device.  This prohibits the ability to, say, connect a...
  Do you really have to manually feed the Lightning cable through like that?  No thanks, I'll wait for one which has a passthrough connector to avoid that tedium.
  Firewire was designed with the same idea in mind (easy to integrate into all sorts of peripherals).  But outside of a few Sony cameras (under the iLink moniker), it never took off because everyone flocked to USB, which was cheaper to license, and Intel pushed hard because USB requires a computer (which is where Intel dominates) due to its complexity.   We'll have to wait and see how complicated and expensive it is to integrate Lightning into other products to find out...