or Connect

Posts by auxio

Well, Apple was still very profitable at that point. My best guess is that Steve offered them a combination of "you'll get to work on inventing the future of computing" and stock options. I'd imagine working at NeXT would have been a heck of a lot more technically interesting than working at Apple in the 1990s. They essentially invented Mac OS X ten years before it's time while Apple was busy making profits off of maintenance releases (ok, to be fair, there were a couple...
Not if you have it jailbroken and have a Terminal app installed. iOS is also UNIX at the core, it just goes the extra mile to prevent you from ever seeing that. You could construct a similar command on Windows too and/or tell people to reformat their C: drive. Regardless, the point is that all of these social engineering scenarios shouldn't be considered system security flaws IMO. Unfortunately, the very people they can prey upon will likely be convinced otherwise by...
As mstone pointed out, someone could come to your door impersonating a police officer or home security system maintenance worker. So there's little difference. Really, you can only go so far in protecting people who are naive enough to believe that everyone who knocks on their door (or every installer that asks for a password) is genuine without questioning things first. You can display warnings over and over again (as Windows has resorted to doing), but there's always...
While I didn't try it (for obvious reasons), I'm pretty certain you also need to enter an administrator username and password to install it (like most software installed using Installer). So it's a bit more work than just clicking to continue, and would likely raise red flags with most people (i.e. why is a web link asking me to enter an administrator password?).One of the benefits of a system which was designed to be multiuser from the ground up (i.e. UNIX, the...
Bang on. And given that only the bottom-of-the-barrel Android tablets cost less than the iPad (due to lack of carrier subsidies), we get to see people choosing a tablet based on features and overall usability rather than cost alone. Which is a refreshing change from the cell phone market.
You've been bugged. Or, in keeping with the theme of all the hyper-paranoid comments lately: BUGS ARE EVERYWHERE!
Stereoscopic BSOD!
Perhaps you haven't thought this one through fully...Apple makes the same amount of money whether you purchase your phone locked or unlocked. They want to sell as many phones as possible. So do you honestly think they spend their time and money locking phones down just for fun?In order to sell their phones at a competitive rate (have you checked what the cost of an unlocked, unsubsidized iPhone is), they've had to partner with the cellular service providers to give you a...
Or they rob me without a gun, don't bother killing me (because it's much more difficult and I don't feel it worthwhile to risk my life for a few bucks), I report it to the police, they find the people when they attempt to use my credit card (or steal my identity), and apprehend them without the need for lethal force (because they aren't armed for such a fight).
Yes, I guess you got me on that one. However, it's a bit of a jump to compare gated communities with privately-paid security firms created to protect a small group of people from the ills of society with political borders. They'd be more akin to the castles built to protect the aristocracy during medieval times.