or Connect

Posts by auxio

I actually think speech to text is the future for mobile devices. Assuming that the quality is good enough, it's ideal for composing email and text messages, which is the vast majority of typing situations for mobile devices.Admittedly, speaking emoticons might be a bit weird -- or deleting parts of your message might be easier using the touchscreen. But overall, it seems like the fastest way to compose conversational messages.Then again, envisioning a future where...
Where's the side profile view of it? I want to see how thick it is due to the keyboard. I'm not against physical keyboards, I just think that most of the time the downsides to having one on a mobile device outweigh the benefits. But I'm open to convincing...
There's no guarantee that if you go to the Dell website (or whichever pre-configured PC brand you prefer) that you're going to find a computer which fits your exact needs either. Apple has build-to-order options, Dell has build-to-order options, maybe you'll find one which fits, maybe you won't. If you don't find a preconfigured machine which meets your needs, then you're going to have to customize it either way. And as I said, it's only slightly more difficult with a...
Absolutely. Have you even considered the core of your argument?You basically say that the Mini and the iMac are not what you want because the Mini is underpowered and the iMac is an all-in-one. You want a machine like the Mac Pro, but at a lower cost -- correct?What I'm saying is that if you need a machine which is as customizable/upgradable as the Mac Pro, I'd venture to guess that you'll be doing some actual customization on it at some point -- correct?So then what's...
I'm not sure what part of Canada you're in, but in my circle of friends and coworkers, only two own a Blackberry (both because their work pays for it). Everyone else I know either owns an iPhone or owns neither phone but wishes they could afford an iPhone (the monthly service plan cost is too high).Most of the time it's simply archaic business infrastructure which forces people to own Blackberries, not actual personal choice. One of the BB users owns both a BB and an...
I'm not sure where I stated or implied that I don't think people do. I have mechanic friends who modify their cars all the time. I'm just stating that it's not fair to expect great a great warranty and service plan (as Macs have) on an inexpensive computer which can be user-customized. The technical support costs would greatly outweigh the slim profit margin. Business 101.Yes, I'm the same way when it comes to computer mods. If I install components myself, and they...
It's ridiculously easy to add/replace the RAM in an iMac. I'm pretty sure it's covered as a "user-serviceable" component in the warranty. I've taken an iMac which I've upgraded the memory on in to the Apple Store for service and they didn't even bat an eye. As for hard drive upgrades, if you have some patience, you can do that on an iMac as well, but I agree that Apple could make it more user-serviceable. The other option is to just buy an external drive and use that. ...
lol... sheep noob hipster? maybe you should add "epic fail" and "douchebag" to cover all of your current judgemental slang bases?If it's possible to move beyond the knee-jerk, throwing vacuous judgement language around level of argumentation here...Choose the computer which works best for the tasks you require. If you need custom hardware and continual upgrades for something like gaming or networking, then custom build a PC. If you need to spend your time just getting...
So basically, you want a cheap computer that you can throw whatever bargain basement hardware you can find into, and also be able to take it in to an Apple Store for service when one of those cheap components causes problems?That's the real problem here. If you let people modify a computer which has a great warranty/service plan, then inevitably, you're going to get a lot more people using that service plan due to their own negligence and/or the shoddy 3rd party...
The stock video card in my Mac Pro works just fine for displaying the text output by compiling a software project in XCode.The stock video card in the Mac Pro works just fine for most "pro" tasks (software development, graphic design, audio and video editing, 3D rendering, CAD, scientific simulations, etc). And 3D animators tend to require very specialized video cards (re. not consumer level).So really, the only task which the Mac Pro video card falls short on is gaming...