or Connect

Posts by auxio

This story reminds me of the very first "family & friends" tech support incident I had to deal with: It was around the time that Windows 95 first came out, and I had been mostly using DOS up to that point (found it much quicker to use than Windows 3.1, and I couldn't afford a Mac). The father of a friend of mine was having problems with their new computer (running Win 95) and it turned out the problems were due to the fact that the hard drive was full. I tried deleting a...
The very same ones that pick up your trash. Given that it takes the same amount of fossil fuel to haul garbage as it does to haul recyclables, it's still an overall environmental gain to have them reused rather than in a landfill.You mean the same plastic bin I've had for the past 10 years and will likely have for the rest of my life? One piece of plastic vs thousands of cubic meters/feet of waste, which do you think is worse for the environment?I guess people will...
I have a MBP. Works great for Mac, Windows, and Linux development at the same time. Emulators are a godsend. Tried Vista, had about 2 or 3 blue screens while applying the 100 odd updates after I installed it. Finally got it all up to date, just to find out that some of the software I use still isn't supported. So now I need to repeat the process again with XP. Fun times.
I've developed software for Windows, Mac, and various flavours of UNIX using C/C++/Java/Objective-C and a multitude of APIs. I can honestly say that developing for Windows has never been a breath of fresh air. It's funny how many developers I encounter who've only taken the time to fully learn one API/platform, and then shoot their mouth off about how much better it is than all the rest. How can they possibly have an educated opinion if they've never really taken the...
Every major display manufacturer in the world has multitouch now. It's not news. Trouble is, every attempted mass-market application they can show for it can be achieved better with a remote control or other input device. Who wants to have to walk up and use their hands to manipulate pictures on a screen when they can sit on their couch and do the same thing? Multitouch only makes sense in certain applications and certain settings. Right now there is no compelling...
I can speak much quicker than I can type (and I'm a pretty fast typist), especially when I can only use my thumbs for typing (god forbid the number pad typing). Speaking is also much easier to do when you're walking somewhere -- especially with the iPhone headphones. Texting is only more efficient than voice for short messages.Agreed.Neither does a voicemail message. And with visual voicemail, it's almost as easy to check as a text message.Agreed. I'm still a reluctant...
I agree. However, texting long distance is much cheaper than calling (at least, here in Canada). People will argue that you can just email instead of text, but until most people have push email on their phone, texting will still be a more immediate way to get ahold of someone (aside from calling of course). As for MMS -- while it would be nice to be able to instantly send pictures instead of having to use email, unless the price is right, I'm not interested. The...
Yes, that's the key difference. MS Windows has always been a product which is separate from any particular PC hardware, and thus in a separate market. So by them strong-arming PC manufacturers to bundle MS Windows with their hardware, they're intentionally excluding others (such as Linux) from being able to compete in the same market.However, with Apple/Mac OS, the hardware and software have always been bundled together. There've never been separate markets for their...
I think a better analogy is the actual OS which runs on the PS3. Sony develops both the hardware (PS3) and the OS (SonyOS?) and bundles them together. The Psystar countersuit is equivalent to someone suing Sony because the OS that runs on the PS3 can't also be used on competitive gaming hardware such as the Xbox.
Agreed. It's crazy how much superfluous and poorly structured/unindexed content you have to go through on many Flash-based sites just to find real information sometimes. I'm all for creative design, but make sure that people who are just interested in quickly finding details about your products have an easy path to it. Again, use the best tool for the job. Which isn't Flash when it comes to good indexing and search capabilities for a website.