or Connect

Posts by auxio

Let me guess, you just discovered Bill Buxton's history of multitouch webpage and now you're an expert?  *golf clap*   Now read a little more closely on how Fingerworks was pretty much the first company to actually create a commercial product using multitouch technology, and how Apple purchased the company in 2005 (in the midst of developing the iPhone).   Perhaps Jobs et al don't deserve a patent in their names given all of the prior research which had occurred, but...
  Not unless the alternative computer designed for "real work" had been left to languish to the point where the huge price difference just couldn't be justified.
  By what leap of logic?  In my first line I stated that the success of a project cannot be determined by a manager alone (or a CEO).  In my last line I stated that there needs to be reliable people giving information to the manager for a project to succeed.   While indeed it's important for the manager to ensure they have the right people under them, the ultimate success/failure depends on both parties IMO.  That is, unless the manager is willfully ignoring the...
  I really hate the armchair analysis that the success of a project solely depends on the manager (or the CEO, no less).   The deal-breaker here is that the maps technology itself didn't have the right amount of care put into it and/or it required more time to mature before being made the only mapping option for iOS.  If someone gave the impression to management that it was ready for prime-time and it wasn't (possibly Forstall, or likely some of the people under him),...
   It was a joke because, historically, many Europeans love to rub in the fact that their brands are higher quality than North American brands (and slam us for being ignorant consumers).  Which, honestly, I do agree that many are (food especially).  But now that things are reversed...   As for phone size, I'd like to see research showing how many cases there are where that is the deciding factor in a purchase.  I'd be willing to wager that cost outweighs size by a large...
  It has nothing to do with phone size, it's all about what's on the price tag.   Every market share leader in every mass market product category in the world is the one who prices their products the lowest, bar none.  However, the market share leader isn't always the profit leader, and is very rarely the product quality leader.  Investors care about the profit leader, and enthusiasts care about the quality leader.  Everyone else is just looking at numbers.
  Just because people in Europe are looking for bargain basement technology so that they can continue to afford European-produced luxury cars and artisanal food in the face of economic downturn doesn't mean that Apple should change the quality of products they produce.  Should Mercedes Benz try to compete with GM or Ford for North American market share?
  Bonjour works just fine on Windows (it's installed with iTunes), so even if Apple does gain traction with this standard, it's not going to put Microsoft on the sidelines. Especially given that it'll be an open standard which anyone can add enhanced support for.
  That's the thing with USB: it always feels like those scam marketing campaigns which advertise one thing, but list another in the fine print.  Just list the real world speeds and limitations and let people make informed choices about what's right for them.   Really, it's a poorly designed bus with high amount of overhead and requires a complex controller to make it work.  However, because it came standard on every computer motherboard, and was "good enough" for most...
  In the first paragraph I'm talking about non-Apple devices, and in the second I'm talking about Apple devices.  TB is more likely in high-bandwidth, non-Apple devices because it works with both Macs and PCs (due to being an industry standard).   And yes, I agree with the second point: although Apple hasn't published any technical specs on the Lightning connector yet, I'm fairly certain that it can handle a large amount of bandwidth and be easily adapted to work with TB.