or Connect

Posts by auxio

How about really revolutionizing things by creating a printer which doesn't suck ink like a crack whore?
This discussion is way off track.   Understand that there's a difference between "unlocking" and "jailbreaking".  Unlocking generally means SIM unlocking, which makes it so that the phone can work on any carrier which uses the same communication spectrum and protocol.  Jailbreaking means unlocking the phone's operating system so that you can access all parts of the filesystem, install your own apps, and generally mess around with parts of the installation which you...
  And being Gmail only, it means that two companies will have access to all your email.  Double no thanks.
  As a pro user, I can easily separate the content I work on daily out to an external SSD (USB 3.0 for now until someone figures out how to make TB HDD enclosures without a drive in them) and be fine with the internal HDD (just the OS plus apps) be a Fusion drive.  What's the problem?   I'd actually rather have my main SSD be an external drive rather than an internal one so that I can work at different machines and get the same performance.
  As TBell mentioned earlier, Chrome seems to call home every 5 minutes.  And, as everyone knows, Google makes it's money off advertising and analytics, so anything they're giving away for free likely has some way to harvest data and/or stream advertisements to you.  I'm not sure exactly what data Chrome is sending when it calls home, but I don't really want to have to jump through hoops to find out and/or try to stop it.
  On Windows, the Apple experience is mostly just a "skin".  And one which native Windows users don't seem to care for (likely because they aren't accustomed to it).  You need top-to-bottom integration to get the real Apple experience.   So in that way, Chrome is better because it tries to fit into the Windows experience.  It also feels faster -- likely because it doesn't have to emulate all of the Mac GUI stuff like Safari does (I've seen CoreFoundation.dll,...
  If you don't care about Google tracking you (which, again, most Windows users I've spoken with really don't care about), then yeah, Chrome.  Or Firefox if you do care (even though it's a bit slower, it's still a good browser on Windows).   As much as we all love Apple for the full experience top-to-bottom, sorry, but their Windows software just doesn't feel right.  Mainly because they are trying to shoehorn the Mac look and feel onto Windows (and the experience will...
  Most Windows users I've talked to feel the same way about Safari as they do about Quicktime: it just feels out of place and there are better alternatives.  Similar to Microsoft's offerings on Mac OS X.
  I still use Firefox on my Windows partition.  IE is archaic, Safari is end-of-life (never was great on Windows), and I don't want Google tracking everything I do in Chrome.  But it's mostly pointless on Mac OS X now that Safari has become a solid browser.
  You also need to look at the technical details of how USB works to see other shortcomings: the complexity of controlling the USB bus eats into CPU time (because it can't easily be offloaded to dedicated hardware) and there is a lot of overhead when transferring data (meaning you'll never get close to the theoretical maximum bandwidth).