or Connect

Posts by auxio

So basically, you want a cheap computer that you can throw whatever bargain basement hardware you can find into, and also be able to take it in to an Apple Store for service when one of those cheap components causes problems?That's the real problem here. If you let people modify a computer which has a great warranty/service plan, then inevitably, you're going to get a lot more people using that service plan due to their own negligence and/or the shoddy 3rd party...
The stock video card in my Mac Pro works just fine for displaying the text output by compiling a software project in XCode.The stock video card in the Mac Pro works just fine for most "pro" tasks (software development, graphic design, audio and video editing, 3D rendering, CAD, scientific simulations, etc). And 3D animators tend to require very specialized video cards (re. not consumer level).So really, the only task which the Mac Pro video card falls short on is gaming...
rdiff-backup has worked perfectly fine for me for years (well before Time Machine existed).
I guess I meant "open" technology in general. A large part of Microsoft's business model is trying to lock people into proprietary technology and complete ideological resistance to most open standards. And in the case where they do adopt open standards (out of necessity), they'd rather tack proprietary extensions on to those standards than actually work with the standards group to integrate their needs.Agreed. This is a business organizational problem which occurs in...
Bingo!It's a corporate mindset which originated right from Bill Gates and the founding of Microsoft. The shallow thinking that open source is in diametric opposition to profit. All because Bill Gates met a few UNIX hippies he didn't get along with in college. So sad...And Steve Ballmer is simply a mindless salesman who doesn't have the critical thinking skills/vision to bring Microsoft into this new era of software/hardware development (i.e. adding value/support to well...
Hopefully this will spark some plan competition (options to forgo data, shared family plans, etc). The biggest hinderance to greater iPhone adoption IMO is the fact that you can't really get a plan for it which costs you much less than $1k per year. And if two people in your household have one, then it's double.
If you're a tinkerer, then a Linux box is the way to go. There are no limits whatsoever in what you can do with it if you have the desire. I have a Linux box in my basement which is essentially the heart of my entire home network. I've listed the multitude of tasks it performs in this forum many times, so I won't bother again. But suffice to say that it's much more flexible than an Xserve at about 1/4 the cost. However, for just getting the job done without any hassle,...
ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha$ha
ok right. Strictly speaking HTML5 is only the HTML syntax definition, but since HTML itself is useless for anything but the simplest websites, I tend to lump JavaScript and CSS in with it since the HTML syntax definition supports those technologies far more directly than it does proprietary technologies like Flash (which doesn't have a single mention in the HTML5 specification). Anyways, I think that as Firefox continues to make inroads as the standard browser on Windows...
All of which can be built just as well in HTML 5. It will just take time for these big entertainment companies to adjust their work flows to incorporate people and tools that are geared towards content creation in HTML 5. However, the more people demand it, the quicker it will happen.