or Connect

Posts by auxio

This echoes my feelings about Windows 8.   Everything I needed to do on a desktop/laptop seemed to be hidden behind the tile UI.  Which may make sense on a tablet, but just adds one more level of stuff to navigate through on a desktop.  And trying to launch applications which don't have a tile associated with them was an absolute pain to figure out.  Not to mention figuring out how to shut down the computer, quitting out of fullscreen applications, etc.  Definitely a...
  What excites me is seeing innovation on all fronts.  It looks like Jony Ive's industrial design team is pushing the envelope, now let's see the hardware design team do the same.  Though I guess we may have to wait until Apple switches from relying on Intel's architectural timelines, to charting their own with the A series architecture.  Given how fast iPads and iPhones are iterating and improving that architecture, it likely won't be long.
  SCSI -> Firewire -> Thunderbolt (and prey that nothing is lost in translation) :)
  Maybe if you have your machine sitting out for public display in your house/business and want to use it as a talking point.  However, mine's tucked away in my office with loads of other technology piled around it which I need to use as part of my job.   I get the point about the aesthetics of the things around you affecting your state of mind and whatnot.  I love seeing well designed products (both hardware and software).   However, given a choice, I'd much prefer...
  Thanks.  I did check the Apple site, but I missed the user upgradable part.  So I think my requirements for a new machine are satisfied now.
  Indeed.  That's my biggest question at this point: what, if anything, is upgradable?  I'm hoping at least RAM is still upgradable.   I'm in the market for a new dev machine, and the Mac Pro just doesn't give enough bang for buck these days.  However, I do find myself still upgrading RAM every year or so as Xcode's RAM usage gets higher all the time.  It's much cheaper to buy just enough for now and upgrade later (when RAM prices come down) than buy more than enough now.
  Yeah, luckily Apple has their own retail stores to fall back on while service at the other stores is pretty much dominated by "what's best for the salesman, not the consumer".  And the Carriers wonder why there's no loyalty?  You get what you give.
I've heard that salesmen at Future Shop (electronics retail chain here in Canada) dislike Apple products because they don't get the same kickbacks from Apple that they do from other companies. Could be the same story at Vodafone.   As someone who works creating technology, it pisses me off to think that not doing gladhanding becomes a barrier to the marketplace.  Innovation and quality should be the highest goals one reaches for in the industry, not trying to get things...
  Java is a full-fledged application development language (not just an interactive animation design technology like Flash).  As such, you can do very powerful things with it.  However, it's not something you'd generally use for a website which just displays some information or has a small amount of interactivity like posting comments, adding items to a shopping cart, and whatnot.  It's overkill for that purpose (not to mention far more expensive to create).   Where Java...
  Every time you update anything which applications rely on (be it OS X itself, or the Java runtime), there's a chance things will break because some underlying behaviour that the application relies on has changed.   As for Adobe CS apps, I can't vouch for the quality of the programming in them, but Java on it's own is just fine as a programming language.  Objective-C (the native programming language used on OS X) actually has a lot in common with Java due to both being...