or Connect

Posts by auxio

I used to be a hardcore gamer as well -- religiously following hardware sites and specs, carefully picking and choosing components based on their performance for games, constantly upgrading, etc. So I _get_ all the beefs about Macs from that crowd. However, you have to understand that: 1. It's a very niche group of people who do this. Even in the PC world, it's mostly small, niche retailers who sell gamer systems and components. Especially now that all-in-one PCs are...
This whole discussion about how Apple should give something back has really helped me understand thinking in the US a bit better. It seems that a lot of people believe that it's the role of companies to take care of them (help fund schools, etc). So now it makes sense to me why people don't feel government is important, don't vote, and would be happier to just get rid of government altogether and not pay any taxes. When in reality, the goal of a company is simply to...
Virtual PC was pretty much unusable for anything but simple tasks. The reason is because it was emulating an Intel CPU on a PowerPC (before Apple made the switch to Intel). Which is far slower than emulating Intel on Intel.Parallels was the first to market with an Intel on Intel VM for Mac OS X after Apple made the switch. VMWare had already been doing this for years on Windows and Linux, but didn't have a Mac OS X offering for a year or so after the switch. Which is...
Seriously, you're trying to argue that Parallels is better on the basis of version numbers? You must be in marketing. By that logic, OpenSSL (the most widely used SSL implementation in the world) isn't worth a look because it just reached version 1.0 recently.I honestly think that Parallels changes major versions so much just so that they can rake in more and more upgrade fees from users. They're fast becoming the Adobe of the VM business. I paid for version 1 -- hated...
As a software developer, it's nice to be able to install developer preview versions of Mac OS X (or other software) without jeopardizing your main system. Or for testing software on a number of different Mac OS X point releases.
To each their own I guess...I used Parallels through versions 1 and 2 since VMWare didn't have anything for Mac at that time, and just found it to be poor quality. During that time, one of my VMs got corrupted (wouldn't boot) and was unrepairable. Thankfully I didn't lose anything important. Also, direct sharing of files between the VM and Mac OS didn't work at all (I had to resort to using SMB file sharing across my network -- the problem with that solution being that...
I've only been organizing my applications into virtual desktops this way for almost 20 years. With probably well into hundreds of thousands of virtual desktop changes during that time over the course of writing dozens of large pieces of software, juggling that with many thousands of email messages, IM conversations, technical documentation lookups, etc. But what do I know?It amazing to see people who are just so blindly in love with Apple that they believe they "let" you...
I never use fullscreen apps except for watching movies. In which case, I'm not doing anything else and so I don't need access to other apps.Sure, I do like having one app per desktop in order to eliminate clutter (the whole point of multiple desktops for me). But sometimes I may pull up a small app like Calculator or a Terminal window and squeeze it beside the other (main) app because it's needed in the same workflow for a bit. In which case I don't want to have a...
So that, when you've spent many years navigating multiple desktops using Ctrl-Arrow, you now end up moving through them single file. As opposed to when they're arranged in a 2x2 grid, being able to get to any desktop with a single Ctrl-Arrow.Sure, I'm slowly getting used to Ctrl-1, Ctrl-2, but my brain just prefers the concept of directional movement rather than numbering systems (numbering systems are for libraries).
I had the same problem with 10.7.2. It was because I had Mac OS X Server installed (and was sharing files, etc via it). You have to perform a series of steps to bring your Mac back to non-server mode. I'll see if I can find a link with instructions.Found it:1) http://support.apple.com/kb/HT48272) and then go to /System/Library/CoreServices/ and remove ServerVersion.plist3) reboot and good to go