or Connect

Posts by auxio

The problem is that Palm is profiting off of something they haven't invested a cent in (the development of the iTunes software). While hacking software/devices for personal use is fine (and fun), it's the point where you are trying to profit from hacking others' work where I draw the line. I'd be pretty pissed off if I had spent millions of dollars developing a piece of software, only to have someone else come along and try to gain product sales from it without paying any...
I'm missing the point as to why this is a negative?Considering that the cellular service industry is highly profitable in densely populated areas, that would likely more than cover the expense incurred by rural areas (and the profits could even reduce taxes once the initial setup cost is covered).Now the impact to potential investors, that's another debate...
Are there still extra charges for long distance calls? I'd think there shouldn't be since all of the traffic is being routed over your internet connection (like VoIP), but I didn't see a definite answer on this anywhere (and it wouldn't surprise me if they still gouged you). If not, then I'd definitely go for this over a VoIP phone.
Well that makes Snow Leopard a no-go for me given that I keep all of my work on an eSATA drive. Both the eSATA Expresscard I use in my MacBook Pro and the eSATA PCIe card I use in my Mac Pro are based around the Sil3132 chipset. Hopefully this is resolved soon...
So who do you think did worse by Latin America: Ernesto Guevara or the multitude of CIA-backed dictators like Augusto Pinochet?
Oh sure, I could develop using a Mac Mini just fine as well. However, if you work on large software projects, the extra time you spend recompiling with a slow computer on a daily basis is far more expensive than the extra cost of a faster computer.Bottom to top compile time for the current project I'm working on:2.0 GHz Mac Mini w/ 2 GB RAM: 15 minutes2 x 2.8 GHz Mac Pro w/ 4 GB RAM: 3 minutesThe Windows developers report similar speed differences between those with newer...
One thing Microsoft forgot to mention was that you're going to have a heck of a time trying to port the look and feel of your iPhone app over to WinMo. Sure the underlying functionality might be fairly straightforward to port, but you're probably going to have to redesign the entire work flow of the app to match whatever user interface elements are available on WinMo. That's no small task. The porting example I see on their website is for an application which has a...
Extra couple thousand? Dunno where you shop, but the last time I compared a Mac Pro to an equivalent PC, the price difference was a couple hundred dollars tops:Dell Precision T7500Mac Pro Looks like the same price to me. And you still have to buy Visual Studio for the PC. Even if you build a DIY PC, if you build it to those exact specs, you're only going to save about $750 (and have no tech support). Go ahead, price out the components on TigerDirect and see. Make sure...
I admit, that's a nice feature. However, if you want to share your Drobo filesystem over a network, then you need to also buy DroboShare. I get that for free with my Linux box (with support for all network sharing protocols: SMB, AFP, NFS, FTP, SFTP, UPnP, and whatever comes up in the future).
Guess you haven't heard of Wake-on-LAN?