or Connect

Posts by auxio

From my personal experience, it's usually good to have a small core of "architects" who are very knowledgeable and passionate developers. Often this is only one or two people. I believe this is what mdriftmeyer is talking about. Sure you'll have a lot of other folks involved: graphic designers, UI designers, and other developers. But it's this small, dedicated core group which dictates the main structure of the software and ensures that new features are well thought out...
I actually became aware of LLVM a while back via iPhone hacking. A bunch of folks were trying to figure out how to create software for the iPhone and quickly found that no known compiler/linker combination could generate MachO-ARM binaries (that naming combination still cracks me up). Scouring through the Apple GCC mailing list for clues, they found mention of LLVM and ARM (a discussion thread which ended abruptly) and realized that was the missing piece of the puzzle....
I think the foundation of the patent system should be based on protecting real products from being directly copied and having the market stolen away from them. Not protecting vague ideas until someone else comes up with a product that is related to them. So basically, you can only patent the unique aspects of an existing product (or a product destined to be released to the market within a reasonable amount of time). If that reasonable amount of time expires without the...
How about a ménage Ã* trois (Mac on Mac on Mac)?
I already do this (run Windows and Linux at the same time on top of Mac OS X). Other than the added ability to test on Mac OS X Server, developers are able to do this right now. Developers, developers, developers, developers... (sorry, just gets in my head every time I say the word)
Because some of us actually experience intense sexual content on a regular basis in our real lives, and already warped our minds with drugs long ago, so it's not a big deal.
I dunno, @ me.com has much better prank name potential. f*ck @ me.com is the obvious one, though I highly doubt it'd be allowed sue @ me.com bl @ me.com sh @ me.com Just a few off the top of my head...
I guess my concerns are at a higher level than drivers. More for Android application developers. For example, will the DrawTextWithFontAtPoint() function render that text exactly the same on all Android platforms? And with the correct font? This has been the classic case where the JVM has failed in the past. Or, will there be 10 different handwriting recognition modules for all of the different Android platforms, each with a different programming interface? Or some...
I consider this to be one of the main weaknesses of the Android platform. Every cell phone manufacturer who uses hardware on which Android hasn't been ported yet is going to have to either: a) Come up with their own implementation of the Android platform b) Lobby Google to support their platform If the hardware is obscure enough (or the manufacturer is too small), then option b is out of the question. For people who remember the early days of the JVM on Linux (before Sun...
For anyone who knows anything about software releases, you pretty much need to have the issue in front of the developer's eyes at least couple of weeks before release for there to be any chance of it getting fixed. Typically the bigger the project, the more amount of notice required -- especially if it's going to be put on media and boxed/shrink wrapped. For some of the large projects I've worked on, we've stopped making changes around a month before release.