or Connect

Posts by auxio

Do you really have to manually feed the Lightning cable through like that?  No thanks, I'll wait for one which has a passthrough connector to avoid that tedium.
  Firewire was designed with the same idea in mind (easy to integrate into all sorts of peripherals).  But outside of a few Sony cameras (under the iLink moniker), it never took off because everyone flocked to USB, which was cheaper to license, and Intel pushed hard because USB requires a computer (which is where Intel dominates) due to its complexity.   We'll have to wait and see how complicated and expensive it is to integrate Lightning into other products to find out...
  A logo is fine (as long as it's well-designed), but having the company name scrawled everywhere is annoying.  The vast majority of respected brands have recognized this.  For example, you don't see "Mercedes Benz" printed across the hood of the car.
  Does your audio equipment have digital line inputs?  If not, then there's nothing to be gained from using the audio output via the Lightning connector vs the headphone jack.   The point of digital audio via the Lightning port is to get audio to/from your iDevice without any loss of signal quality.  You need to be transferring audio to/from a device which can handle digital audio to take advantage of that.
This echoes my feelings about Windows 8.   Everything I needed to do on a desktop/laptop seemed to be hidden behind the tile UI.  Which may make sense on a tablet, but just adds one more level of stuff to navigate through on a desktop.  And trying to launch applications which don't have a tile associated with them was an absolute pain to figure out.  Not to mention figuring out how to shut down the computer, quitting out of fullscreen applications, etc.  Definitely a...
  What excites me is seeing innovation on all fronts.  It looks like Jony Ive's industrial design team is pushing the envelope, now let's see the hardware design team do the same.  Though I guess we may have to wait until Apple switches from relying on Intel's architectural timelines, to charting their own with the A series architecture.  Given how fast iPads and iPhones are iterating and improving that architecture, it likely won't be long.
  SCSI -> Firewire -> Thunderbolt (and prey that nothing is lost in translation) :)
  Maybe if you have your machine sitting out for public display in your house/business and want to use it as a talking point.  However, mine's tucked away in my office with loads of other technology piled around it which I need to use as part of my job.   I get the point about the aesthetics of the things around you affecting your state of mind and whatnot.  I love seeing well designed products (both hardware and software).   However, given a choice, I'd much prefer...
  Thanks.  I did check the Apple site, but I missed the user upgradable part.  So I think my requirements for a new machine are satisfied now.
  Indeed.  That's my biggest question at this point: what, if anything, is upgradable?  I'm hoping at least RAM is still upgradable.   I'm in the market for a new dev machine, and the Mac Pro just doesn't give enough bang for buck these days.  However, I do find myself still upgrading RAM every year or so as Xcode's RAM usage gets higher all the time.  It's much cheaper to buy just enough for now and upgrade later (when RAM prices come down) than buy more than enough now.