or Connect

Posts by auxio

Somewhat related... I have a Mac Pro with 4GB of RAM. When running VMWare (1 CPU and 1 GB allocated) and compiling a large XCode project, I find it hits a point where it just chokes and starts swapping madly to disk (whole machine is pretty much locked). Whereas if VMWare isn't running, the compilation runs very smoothly. I'm pretty sure the loss of one of the CPUs to VMWare isn't the bottleneck in that equation. So having an extra GB or two can make a difference in...
Almost the same experience with the iPhone here in Toronto. I've only had a couple of dropped calls (out of about 250 calls), which is pretty much the same as every other cell phone I've used. Sounds like an issue with AT&T's network in NYC...
An LCD projector which is predominantly used for computer-based presentations is equivalent to a computer monitor in the context of the original discussion (i.e. what type of video output connector should Apple laptops have?).
So that's the big question: are more people using laptops for displaying things on a TV screen, or on a computer monitor? In an ideal world, you'd be able to do both comfortably -- but whether people like it or not, there's a war going on over who will control the next generation of entertainment. And the companies with large stakes in this war are trying to force consumers to choose one side or the other by making it difficult for them to use both computers and TV/cable...
One other thing to consider is that Apple is biased towards the movement to watching TV/movies on a computer rather than on a TV (i.e. entertainment is computer-centric as opposed to TV-centric). So from that standpoint, it's easy to understand why supporting TV technology (HDMI) isn't a high priority with them. Not to mention they'd prefer people buy an Apple TV box for their TV. That's essentially their answer to the question: why isn't it simple to use a Mac with a TV?
I wonder if there are more people using laptops in combination with HDMI-based TVs, or in combination with DVI-based computer monitors? I'm personally in the 2nd group -- as are most of the people I know. Not too many people using a laptop in a work environment would have a TV on their desk. It's only when they take their laptop home where they'd likely use a TV, but that's not the majority of the time.
I think you're getting confused on the meaning of the word "target" in the article title. They're not "targeting" in the sense of replacing Apple's ads with their own. They're "targeting" in the sense of creating a custom Google ads experience for people using the iPhone to browse the web.
Sure, because we all know that every government in the world is as corrupt as the US government -- and the only motivation for government action is collusion with business.You know, in some places, the news media actually investigates and is able to report to the public when the government is in bed with large corporations. And in many cases it topples the government (eg. Chretien). As opposed to "more local news/paranoia" or "more celebrity gossip". Sure, major cities...
The problem is that the block doesn't have any sort of surface feature or grip to hang onto while you pull it from the outlet. Making it very difficult to pull from some electrical outlets using the block alone.It's not quite as bad as the ultra-smooth connectors on the iPhone component video cable (which are virtually impossible to disconnect without pulling on the cord), but it's still a poor design. Sometimes Apple errs too far on the side of style over functionality...
Even beyond that. Have the Mac user pull up in an Audi/BMW (with built-in iPod integration), being very smug about the latest music to come out of , talking about "haute" architecture/design, being dismissive of any opinions the PC user has. Make the Mac user seem obsessive in their following of high-end culture, and really play up that feeling one gets when they encounter someone like that. Make the PC user intelligent, but have a much more...