or Connect

Posts by auxio

Yeah, and no update for NeXTStep either. Now my NeXTcube will be out of sync for 4 weeks of the year.
haha, yeah. I remember back in the day you'd buy a vinyl record and record it to tape, then use "high-speed dubbing" (like a 2X tape drive) to make crappy copies for all your friends.I definitely feel dated now... "No you're analog!"
Superduper is good as a local backup solution, but rsync is ideal for me because it works both locally and remotely. I can do it from anywhere I have internet access. As long as I haven't modified a lot of large files (I do programming work, so most of the files I modify are relatively small), it doesn't take very long to remotely synchronize the files between my laptop and my server via SSH from anywhere on the internet.The only replacement I've considered is...
Yeah, RAID is definitely more of a server thing than a solution for laptops. My external hard drive is sitting beside my computer on my desk as I type this, so it's not really a good candidate for an "offsite" backup.And I haven't had to deal with data loss from natural disaster yet -- never lived near a coastline or a tornado belt and I'm careful with fire -- so I guess I've never bothered to prepare for that. Maybe when I have kids and writable Blu-ray discs are dirt...
I dunno, for me manual back-up is just too much of a PITA. I guess I could keep an external drive connected all the time and use a scheduled back-up, but then that kinda defeats the purpose of having a removable drive. I was actually thinking about internal, hot-swappable RAID 5 myself. No muss, no fuss once it's set up. Backup happens automagically as you write files to it. But then, I guess that solution doesn't really work for laptops. I personally rsync the home...
It's weird that people consider a computer crash to be so important. With a journelling file system and applications which auto-save periodically, a computer crash is about the least invasive problem which can happen to you. A hard drive crash is much more deadly. As in, I've had musician friends lose years of work to them -- and I've lost a few important files myself. An hour or so of work lost due to computer crash is really nothing compared to losing years of...
And a 300GB hard drive cost a fortune 3 years ago as well. Times change very quickly once there's enough demand, money and engineering behind a technology.Problems can be worked around. Put the swap file on a small hard drive. Since it's not as critical to lose a swap file (might cause the computer to crash, but at least a whole data store isn't lost), it wouldn't be as big a deal.And I'm assuming there are materials engineers working on the limitation of how many times...
Not at all. I'm simply pointing out the flaws in the rationale behind thinking that bigger and bigger hard drive based iPods will solve the problem of a growing digital media collection. I much prefer rational argument to name-calling. And I don't think Apple should completely discontinue the hard drive based iPod line. I simply think they should put more focus on the flash-based line until such time as they can replace the existing hard drive based line with...
It was redesigned to absorb a bit of shock around the time it was put in laptops. But it's never been ideally suited for said bouncy environments.If you think it is, try dropping a hard-drive based iPod a few times while it's playing. My wife's only took one such drop to end its life.
wow, a bit touchy are we? I didn't realize it was a crime to post an opinion on the matter.Obviously a person can't carry their entire CD or DVD collection with them (unless it's very small), so I'm just wondering why people expect to do it with their digital media collection once it grows beyond a certain size? In that case, no matter how much storage a portable media player has, it'll never be big enough because you'll just keep amassing more media to fill it and go...