or Connect

Posts by auxio

Absolutely. But just because the actions of Apple Corps can be justified within the current copyright/trademark law system doesn't make it right. For all the singing/preaching the various Beatles members have done/currently do about making the world a better place, it turns out they're just another self-interested business entity after all. And no, I don't own any Apple stock. I just happen to feel strongly that the Beatles don't deserve to keep getting money from Apple...
Yes, phony beatlemania has most certainly bitten the dust. I understand the perspective of "breach of agreement", but there is no copyright conflict here in my opinion, just a cash grab. While it may make business sense, it certainly doesn't make common sense.
Yes, the open source ideals have been there for as long as people have been writing computer programs. But it took Linux to bring them from academia to prime time news. And seeing the success with Linux has prompted rethinking other areas such as education and medicine. So yes, certainly some credit goes to Linus and the momentum he unknowingly (at the time) got rolling. I personally think it only works in areas where people are already volunteering time and effort (ie....
The most ridiculous part is that if you watch closely at around 21 seconds, you can see that he actually hurts his leg and shrieks in pain, yet still keeps going. Here's a nice little collection of Ballmer videos:http://www.ntk.net/ballmer/mirrors.html The music video at the bottom is hilarious. I showed it to my wife a while back and now I can't talk about software developers without her breaking into the developers chant.
What money? Let's get down to the reality here: who in their right mind would confuse Apple Records with the iTunes music store? Or I guess the other argument is: does the iTunes music store benefit from the reputation Apple Records has built? Not in my mind. Other than die-hard Beatles fans, who even knows about Apple Records nowadays? So what money is there to be lost/made? Perhaps through the rose colored, tunnel vision glasses of the law you can see some sort of...
No, I'm saying that governments rarely go to this much trouble over something like this without some serious lobbying going on. And the vast majority of groups which have the time and money to spend lobbying are people who have a vested interest in seeing a law pass.
assuming of course that you have a copy of iTunes and the computer you purchased the music with onhand (think 10-20 years down the road). and stephane, thanks for the clairification on the law. i'm certainly not so naive as to believe the motivation behind the law is to actually protect consumer rights.
ok, as someone who produces music and is a passionate and devoted music collector, I could give a f*ck less about whether traditional business models are maintained or not. business models have been changing since adam first traded his half eaten apple (no pun intended) for some leaf underwear. the big problem I have with DRM is this scenario: say at some point in the future, music is only collected and stored in digital form (not much of a stretch). now, say i...
iTunes doesn't feel bloated at all on a Mac. And Windows Media Player feels like a piece of garbage. Simple fact: whichever media player isn't bundled in with your particular operating system is going to feel bloated.
To all the people who are complaining that VMWare hasn't been ported to Mac, and Virtual PC doesn't run on Intel Macs, have you tried this out? http://openosx.com/wintel/ I haven't tried it myself, but it looks promising, and it reportedly runs well on Intel Macs. Probably not a solution for gamers I realize, but for all the people who've used Virtual PC, it looks like an option.