or Connect

Posts by auxio

I'm not an Apple apologist by any means, but Apple is choosing to build a real mobile computing platform rather than just another phone built with whatever components and software happen to exist in the marketplace at the time. It's the dedication to building something with an eye for the future, rather than creating throwaway technology, which tends to make new features take a bit longer. That and navigating the minefield of patents, as someone else mentioned. I'm sure...
Yup, it's clear that the new fundamentals of the American economy are about finding loopholes in the system to exploit for quick gain rather than fostering the creation of innovative businesses which provide goods and services the world actually wants/needs. Is it any wonder that no one has faith in the American economy these days? I guess it's really no surprise that in a country where the importance of media & entertainment are placed so far above education &...
From the start of the article:Apple wouldn't lie, would they?
And that's the thing. Why go through all of the pain of hacking a Mac when you just can put together a PC which will fit any needs (present and future)? And likely for cheaper (if not now -- in the long run).
Aren't people tired of trying to argue that Macs should be infinitely user-customizable yet? And that anyone who doesn't care is drinking the kool-aid? Look, I've got a custom-built Linux box in my basement which is running RAID-5 (4 SATA drives), file serving to my LAN via SMB/AFP/NFS/SSH/UPnP, routing my wired LAN traffic over 2 bonded and load-balanced gigabit ethernet ports, routing my wireless LAN traffic, bridging my wired and wireless LANs, routing internet traffic...
It's very rare that I travel for more than 3 hours at a time without having access to power of some sort. Almost all flights have plug-ins these days, and the only touring bus I've ridden lately also had a plug-in. And for long car rides, there are power adapters.See my other comment about how reading paperbacks on transit is only one of a few reading tasks I'd like to solve with something like Kindle.
Consider people like myself who would like to use the Kindle to peruse technical reference books (in addition to casual reading). I might be looking through a reference book, then need to go out to the web for more information/examples, and then back to the book again. The Kindle doesn't really meet the needs for that particular case. Book reading takes many forms these days. That's where the Kindle fails imo. It needs to have the capability to support all reading...
I think that if I were in the market for such a device, I'd get a netbook rather than Kindle.
The two major problems I have with the Apple keyboard:It's not splitThere's no wrist restI have a very hard time using a keyboard which isn't split since it always feels like my wrists are being strained. I have a tendency to rest my elbows on the desk as I type (curved desk), which creates an odd wrist angle on keyboards which aren't split. Anytime I have to use my laptop keyboard heavily for an extended period of time, I inevitably find myself doing wrist stretches...
Yes! For a while there I thought I was the only one who thought Apple's input devices are complete garbage.I'm typing this on a MS Natural Keyboard Elite (with the PS/2 to USB adapter -- archaic I know, but it works) and using a Logitech TrackMan Wheel mouse. Been making very heavy use of this combination for about 12 years now and no carpal tunnel symptoms to speak of yet (knocking on my compressed particleboard desk).The only time I use the Apple keyboard is when I...