or Connect

Posts by auxio

Right, but the mention of the word "booting" wouldn't make sense then. When you wake a computer from sleep, it doesn't reboot the OS, it simply restores the state of the OS from the saved out memory, which is much faster than having to do all of the hardware initialization again (as booting does). Although they mention saving the state (ie. all of your programs coming back the way they were when you switched OSes), they also mention booting. So it would appear to me that...
Hmm, not quite the quick switch I was hoping for (ie. as fast as putting the computer to sleep and awaking it again), but still better than how Bootcamp currently works. I'll have to try it and see.
For me, it is unless Apple has amended Web 2.0 to allow for tracking multiple contact points. That's the distinguishing feature of the iPhone, and developers should be given some way to access it. Otherwise the iPhone is no different from any other smartphone currently out there.
Developers can already use the Intel compiler with Xcode if they want to.
Yup, I totally agree. iPhone is just a portable Dashboard as far as application developers are concerned.The only really interesting applications are developed by Apple itself (ie. Mail, Safari, iTunes, iCal).
It's quite an interesting position: you prefer the use of Intel's compiler over a 3rd party one, yet you don't prefer the use of the OS maker's IDE over a 3rd party one. My guess is that your position is pro-business motivated since both gcc and Xcode are free tools which have cut into the markets of commercial tools. Whereas I prefer tools based on a balance between quality and longevity (regardless of being free or commercial).I'd personally avoid Intel's compiler...
I think it's mainly the Adobe developers who are whining. And it's likely because of a couple reasons:1) They've been developing in the same environment for about 15 years now and I can only imagine how much leverage they had with Metrowerks to get it customized in every way they needed. I'm sure Apple worked with them a lot as well, but Apple is a much bigger company and has other priorities.While I agree that Xcode is likely much less mature than Codewarrior was/is...
How about crash, then file corruption/loss upon restart? To me, that's unacceptable. I'm hoping that using Bootcamp will become like fast user switching (put one OS to sleep, switch to the other). If not, then my second hope is for a release version of VMWare Fusion at WWDC.
That's speaking from having used 5 different IDEs and 5 different programming languages with a multitude of development frameworks/libraries (some bleeding-edge, some well-estabilished) on the same project over the past 10 years. Technology changes, company directions change, requirements change. If your tools can't keep up with your needs, it's a real pain to keep switching.I only use 3rd party IDEs when developing in OS-independent programming languages/platforms like...
No, but I'm sure that it's the similar to Mac in the sense that, whenever MS develops a new technology (eg. C# or some of the new Aero UI enhancements), support in you're 3rd party IDE is going to lag (or possibly never come depending on how specialized the audience is).In my experience, I've found that it's always better in the long run to go with the tools provided by the company which created the OS (Linux aside of course). Though I can't speak for Mac OS prior to X. ...