or Connect

Posts by Swing

Bergermeister, FWIW I am still stuck with my 12" PB. I'd like to buy a MBP but they are still too big, and I need firewire to use my recording equipment. I'll wait a little longer and then may just buy a MBA after all. Anyway, thanks for the reference to the Buffalo. I'll add that to my list of RAID-type solutions to check out when I address my desire for a RAID attached to the TC.
I do not really intend to resurrect this thread, given the comprehensive thread at http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=85092, but I'll sum up my experience with a 1TB TC so far. My environment right now is mixed 802.11g and n, so far with only a PB and a MB wirelessly accessing the TC drive and the TC's attached USB drive.So kuredood, it appears a USB drive attached to the TC works, albeit slowly. I can use Apple Backup to backup from a FW400 drive attached to...
FWIW AppleInsider has a thread answering many questions implicated by this thread: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=85092 tacojohn, thanks for the mention of the Drobo. I was not aware of that device.
I'll post my results soon (unless someone else does so first). By "soon" I mean after my two machines create their Time Machine backups on the TC and then after I copy about 200GB of other data from my RAID 1 to the TC. After I do that and verify the results then I will attach one of the drives formerly used for my firewire RAID 1 to connect to the TC via USB, and try Apple's Backup. So "soon" may be a day or two.
Yeah, if RAID is important then you may not want the TC. I still harbor hopes that in the future I can somehow use a RAID 1 connected to the TC- but I do not have any idea right now whether I will be able to do so. It would seem to be a waste of the 1 gigabit ethernet ports on the TC if this cannot be done, and in any case the overall cost with the TC may be higher.
I just received my 1TB TC today, in part to replace a RAID 1 connected via firewire 400 to my PB (I'll try a normal back up from the TC via annother USB disk connected to the TC). I'll give up speed but will eliminate clutter under my desk. The TC was a snap to set up, taking about 5 minutes to replace my AE BS (including MAC settings for all my peripherals) with internet via an external modem; the experience was Apple all the way- elegant ease. Right now I am copying my...
Well, for me it is ease of use. I do not have to press various combinations of buttons or scroll through various menus to do what I want. I bought it only because of that. After I bought it I was surprised that I could occasionally leave my laptop at home or in the office when I only needed to use email, and check news on the internet. I had used phones before with internet capability but none were nearly as easy and pleasant to use as the iPhone. And a further bonus for...
I agree with some of what is said in the original post, except that "anyone" can find what they need in an Apple store. There is no product in the Apple line-up for a power user who needs true portability. For many portable power users, cost is not a serious obstacle, other than some prefer not to buy an underpowered machine only to find out a few months later via a new product release that Apple did not forget them after all. I may grudgingly buy a MBA, but will first...
I've read the same explanation but I do not believe it. Rather, I believe Apple will in Rev A or Rev B adobt a faster interface than USB 2. Whether it is FW400 or FW800 or USB3, I will not guess. Intel worked to reduce the footprint of the cpu. Even if current FW400 chipsets were too big, again something I do not believe, then I imagine some company could have tweaked the current chipset designs.
I appreciate your points about the beauty of the MBA. And I may buy the current MBA myself; if so, only grudgingly to replace a 12" PB. More likely, I'll either buy a MBP or wait for a MBA Rev. B. But IMO the complaints are valid about what the MBA does and does not have, for there is no product in the Apple lineup for the portable power user and the presence of the MBA precludes the emergence of such a product (at least until Rev. A or Rev. B). Really, Apple could have...