or Connect

Posts by Radar

Yeah, we saw the same documentary. "Went" across the Pacific...such a beautifully ambiguous and passive verb construction. Like how other manufacturing just "went" (all without human decisions to do so of course) after China was allowed into the WTO.  So what you're saying is that, despite the fact that the very complicated processes of chip design, fabrication, software development, search, networking, etc. developed in SV, assembly of parts must remain elusive and out of...
Why don't we set an American team on trying to "figure out" how a VCR works, and the Chinese on designing a working quantum computer—without reverse engineering existing western prototypes (such as D-WAVE), and we'll see who finishes first.  C'mon, I don't think that "VCR" the best example you could have come up with. 
Gay rights are certainly not "unimportant", but nor are they nearly AS important as the systematic oppression of working people, detention and execution of activists, journalists, etc. in China and other countries. And, why yes, I've in the past given gay rights my time, and long before Tim Cook came out, too. Among other things, I distinctly remember the beating some guys gave me after I stepped in one night to try to stop them kicking the life out of a gay dude outside a...
Or pressure them to divest. 
Exactly. If he gave equal attention to all of these issues (including gay rights) I'd have some respect for the man. But he doesn't.
Yawn, the very existence of the Silicon Valley tech industry contradicts your above claim. In fact the computing industry rose hand in hand with and partly as a result of military/aerospace industry contracts. I find it interesting that you say US companies can't build these items or assembly plants, when in fact it's won't, and those reasons are not about technological complexity, they're about economic profitability. Do you really think Intel, Freescale Semiconductor,...
Yeah, because running a call center is so much more difficult than quantum computing research. Got logic?
You're funny. Once again, your argument comes down to the cost-saving/profit-generating advantages of manufacturing in China, because that's really all you have. You somehow think that R&D operates in isolation, and seem to actually believe China, a nation still struggling desperately to duplicate the American moon landings of almost 50 (fifty!) years ago, the manufacture of commercial passenger jets, etc. etc, somehow possesses 'secret knowledge' of how to put a VCR...
Obviously it empowers Cook, as he's gay himself. Are you that stupid? Actually, this is the perfect thread in which to bring this issue up as it presents a perfect opportunity to exploit Apple's claims of being a progressive company and to try to call attention to that double-standard. It's not an either or concept? Of course it is, do you not remember the effect of divestment on Apartheid South Africa? Maybe that's asking too much of a person who clearly thinks pride...