or Connect

Posts by Radar

Now you're starting to get it. How do you think the South Korean economic miracle/chaebol system ever got off the ground? How do you think the Chinese themselves have been pulling off their own version of it (albeit while maintaining rather than abandoning repressive systems)? Frankly, I don't think we can compete with China unless we merge private capitalism with state backing. The Nordic countries (e.g., Norway's Sovereign Wealth Fund) and the Arabian Gulf States are...
 Well why don't we all just go to the VERY bottom of the barrel to avoid the shit swirling around in the rest of it? And let's not forget who really calls the shots in North Korea, a nation which owes its continued existence to being a buffer state for China. 
Like a "true liberal" would have continued to invest in South Africa during Apartheid? Like those "sentimental liberal" types who opposed racial segregation and the system of violence, intimidation, and torture that sustained it? Or like Reagan (despite opposition within his own party) and Thatcher who were bitterly opposed to sanctions and divestment? They played the "We're concerned about Black lives" card, too.  Yeah. It's all so clear now. 
Really? I remember exactly the type of denial you're now spouting immediately after the Tiananmen Square Massacre (or "Incident" as the Chinese government still calls it) which according to official party propaganda  a) never happened or b) was far less severe than reported. I was there at that time; were you? And yes, I've been back since and am familiar with the region. You speak as if "engagement" has had any substantial impact. It hasn't. China is certainly not Japan...
Yeah, we saw the same documentary. "Went" across the Pacific...such a beautifully ambiguous and passive verb construction. Like how other manufacturing just "went" (all without human decisions to do so of course) after China was allowed into the WTO.  So what you're saying is that, despite the fact that the very complicated processes of chip design, fabrication, software development, search, networking, etc. developed in SV, assembly of parts must remain elusive and out of...
Why don't we set an American team on trying to "figure out" how a VCR works, and the Chinese on designing a working quantum computer—without reverse engineering existing western prototypes (such as D-WAVE), and we'll see who finishes first.  C'mon, I don't think that "VCR" the best example you could have come up with. 
Gay rights are certainly not "unimportant", but nor are they nearly AS important as the systematic oppression of working people, detention and execution of activists, journalists, etc. in China and other countries. And, why yes, I've in the past given gay rights my time, and long before Tim Cook came out, too. Among other things, I distinctly remember the beating some guys gave me after I stepped in one night to try to stop them kicking the life out of a gay dude outside a...
Or pressure them to divest. 
Exactly. If he gave equal attention to all of these issues (including gay rights) I'd have some respect for the man. But he doesn't.
Yawn, the very existence of the Silicon Valley tech industry contradicts your above claim. In fact the computing industry rose hand in hand with and partly as a result of military/aerospace industry contracts. I find it interesting that you say US companies can't build these items or assembly plants, when in fact it's won't, and those reasons are not about technological complexity, they're about economic profitability. Do you really think Intel, Freescale Semiconductor,...