or Connect

Posts by Bergermeister

NHK just ran the video of the Korean player.   He received the placard from a supporter. He held it up and the entire team saw it and some smiled. The team was holding a huge Korean flag. He placed the placard on the flag and they walked around.         - - - - -   Regarding the US women's soccer team:   http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2186568/U-S-womens-soccer-team--Winners-spark-anger-gloating-victory-T-shirts.html
The Olympics are over.  Finally, I can get some real sleep.     NHK carried the closing ceremony live from 5:00am to after 8:00.  Anybody with a TV could watch.  I must say, however, that all TV owners in Japan are required to pay a fee to NHK, about $175 per year, even if you never watch NHK.  Just how it is here.   Very nicely done ceremony and it went off very well.   London held a very good games and they should be proud.  Even the weather cooperated...
Introducing Ryan, Romney insulted Japan.  While at a US navy base.  Naval Station Norfolk, if I'm correct.   It just came on the news tonight.  The room I was in gasped when they heard the translation.       And the conservatives and GOP will defend this one, too.     The story was introduced on the news with the comment that Romney as a non-stop-gaffe-machine who is dropping in the polls as a result.  
The Korean player received the poster from a fan and then held it up.  Korea is trying to say that it was out of excitement that he made a mistake.   Here he is holding the sign so all his teammates can see and nobody is trying to stop him; they all know the rules.   http://photo.sankei.jp.msn.com/essay/data/2012/08/0811korea/   It's quite possible FIFA will ban him from soccer.  I wonder if there was pre-planning.
  Our biggest "complaint" here in Japan is most of the events we've wanted to see started somewhere between 1 and 4 in the morning, ensuring that many people looked really bright eyed and bushy tailed for work in the morning!  Why did the earth have to be round???  I haven't had a real good sleep since the beginning of the Games.  Fortunately, a long holiday has started in Japan that lasts to mid-week, so I (and likely many others) will catch up on rest after the closing...
      As I said earlier, the US team gets the most fouls.  The Japanese women get the fewest, and they gave the US a run for their money.  Just goes to show that clean play can produce good results, something that I wish more people would realize, including many here in Japan.  It is also something that I think all Olympians should strive for.     I really wish you could have seen the medal ceremony.  The way the Japanese squad came onto the pitch playfully dancing, the...
NBC will stream the closing ceremony live online, but the TV broadcast will be tape delayed. 
Keeping it classy....     Supposedly, after the US women's team defeated Japan, Twitter saw some messages saying that it was payback... for Pearl Harbor.  Yep.    Also, and this is still a developing story, a Korean newspaper posted a photo of one of their men celebrating on the pitch right after the game with Japan holding a flag that carried a political message against Japan, a violation of Olympic policy.  (The message said that several islands claimed by...
Reading around I discovered a couple of tidbits.     (1)   The US Olympic Committee pays gold medal winners $25,000.     The US Soccer corp or whatever will give the women's soccer team $1.5 million to split as they wish.     - - -    (2)   South Korea has mandatory military service for males.  But, if they win a gold or silver in the Games, males are exempt from that service.
Amazing final in women's soccer... almost ruined by the video editing, again.  Not as bad as the last game, but bloody annoying.  Just the same, we had it live (started 3:45am).   Congrats to the US for winning, but, as an American living overseas, the t-shirts were bad style.   The ref also missed two serious fouls (warranting PKs for Japan)... that's FIFA.  An interesting stat that was on Japanese TV just before the game is that the US team gets the most fouls...