or Connect

Posts by json

Comparing my iPhone 3G to my work phone, a SonyEricsson K610i, I find that in my office the 610 gives me three out of five on the 3G signal strength meter while the iPhone only connects to the GSM network (both in the same spot in the room). I know which one I'd rather use though..... but even so I hope there is a fix coming.
Now that the iPhone is available in so many more countries, and thus in so many more languages, I hope something can be done about support for "accented characters" and "compound words". In my native language, Swedish, we have three additional characters in our alphabet: Å (aka "A with circle"), Ä ("A with two dots") and Ö ("O with two dots"). Even though they might seem to be accented versions of A and O, they are not. On computer keyboards they have their own keys...
Regarding battery life there is something strange going on. For some reason quite a lot of the battery power is lost over night, even though the thing only lies there in "idle". It seems that my apartment is on the edge of the 3G network, which could mean that the phone keeps "jumping" between 3G and GSM, and if so, that will eat into the battery for sure (I know that from experience with other phones). Or maybe there is some traffic due to the "push"-functions........
Concerning 3 I would say no. I have not seen any explicit error messages, but it still takes a considerable time to reconnect after sleep, and often it seems that some part of airport "re-starts" since the airport icon becomes "hollow" (the icon seen when turning off airport) then grey bars, then waiting, then black bars. I am using a Macbook core duo and an airport extreme as access point (with a TC as router). I have updated the TC and extreme to 7.3.2.
Could be.... but if so, how long will it take before the "iTunes activation only"-version will be in the hands of unlockers.....
I hope this new service lets me use one of my .Mac, or rather Mobileme, mail aliases as the "from"-adress on the phone (and touch). On the Mac I can select one of my .Mac alias addresses when sending a mail, but I have not found any way to do the same on the phone/touch....
Hmm..... was this push service based on some "intermediate" server at Apple doing the work? That is, the service provide (IM server or whatever) contacts a server at Apple that in turn contacts the phone?? If so, doesn't that sound a bit like the current RIM push mail solution? The one that Apple didn't really like...... (and why they say they are using ActiveSync)?? Or have I just misunderstood everything?
Yes they are there, but we want "real keys" for these three letters. Holding down and wait takes too long and these letters are quite, or even very, frequently used. There are "hacks" to get them on the keyboard, but..... well..... a hack is a hack.... It is also possible to let the dictionary handle them as "corrections", but that is not 100% either (impossible to distinguish between for instance words such as "har", "hår" and "här"). And yes, Apple should be made aware...
Yes the US is huge by any standards, and definately so compared to Sweden (Sweden is apparently about the size of California according to wikipedia). On the other hand New York for instance seems to have a larger population than the whole of Sweden but should be easier to cover.... But if I'm not mistaken AT&T have not had the GSM/UMTS 3G technology in their network for that long, have they? (didn't they use to have the AMPS and TDMA system just a few years back?) So...
Of course. I am not losing sleep over this. But it would be sad if Apple chose to partner with an operator that basically covers the three major cities and some of more densly populated areas in the south. The best solution would be to have more than one operator of course.