or Connect

Posts by Splinemodel

In the last few weeks, all of the high-end retailers in the SF Bay area have strangely begun to focus their point-of-purchase devices (the things that you swipe your card through) towards NFC. The on-screen messages are directing users towards NFC, tapping the phone, etc. So NFC in the iPhone is undeniably imminent.
PO has been always full of blowhards.  Look at every politically-charged news+comments website on a free world domain; you will find the same, spirited BS.  I think there was a young group of people who used to come here for banter, but we are no longer young, nor do we come here.
Pages 4.3 is still in your Applications folder.  Just specify it as the default app for .pages docs, or, better yet, delete Pages 5.
Well, except when it is.  The reasoning for how it happened is less important than the result, unless you are a manager in Apple trying to figure out how to avoid this next time (if indeed it was a mistake). Who was the product manager?  Clearly, there was one.  I disagree with you on Apple being like Apple in the 90's.  At that time, Apple was a medium-sized company and they could get away with shenanigans.  It seems evident that Tim Cook can't micromanage the way Steve...
Just to add a different take: I have been a heavy Pages user for several years, and after attempting to use Pages 5.0 I just gave up.  In my opinion it is mostly useless.  It is a signal from Apple that they admit failure at making Pages a popular offering in the word processing market.   In other words, Pages was not a profitable business, so Apple stripped away every feature they could.  They made it match the iOS version, so that it is only one product to maintain....
There has been at least 10 years of research on the impacts of compressing memory at different levels in the CPU architecture.  I remember working (10 years ago) on techniques to compress data in the cache.  The results at the time were only slightly better than net-zero, but memory is more comparatively "expensive" now that it was then.   Compressing data in RAM is somewhat easier to do, in that it can be controlled via software.  Moreover, there is a survey of...
I'm guessing the next time capsule will also be smaller, to match, and quite possibly the mac mini server will be smaller as well. One nice touch of the new design is the apparent, integrated AC/DC power supply. I don't really care much what the device looks like, but at least for me it is great to have one fewer box and one fewer cord.
I'm responding to the thread in general.   I am a libertarian, although a lot of libertarians consider me a "minarchist."   I don't have a strong opinion on global warming or the effect of increased CO2 in the atmosphere, but I do know there is some political agenda, here.  It's a clandestine political agenda, too, because if were the end of the story that CO2 were bad, then all of the western world would be like France and get 80% of its electricity from nuclear...
Seems like you're getting introduced to the major Belgian Ales.  There are a lot of farmhouse ales from western europe and USA, now.  The Dubbel/Trippel/Quad Ale is not really my favorite, but I do love saison style and, for the most part, gueze.  I also love the new-wave of hoppy ales coming from belgium.  The most readily available one is Duvel Green, but there are many.  A couple of years ago, I went to the Bruges Beer Festival.  It was in september, so if you are...
Anchor Liberty is supposedly made from an old English recipe that was discovered by a museum somewhere and then applied to production by Anchor.   Liberty Ale does have quite a bit of a floral note, but generally it has a more pils quality than do most IPAs you'll find these days.   On the note of pils, it is my go-to beer for day-to-day drinking.  It is really tough to brew, so there are not a lot of good ones.  Trumer is probably my favorite.  You can get it in...