or Connect

Posts by Rayz

Unfortunately, he makes a very good point.
A few years ago, Apple asked Adobe to make Flash fit for mobile. Adobe said, "Yeah, when we get around to it." Apple refused to support Flash in iOS. There was wailing in the forums. When Adobe realised that the iPad was going to be bigger than Jupiter, they scrambled like mad to fix the problem.  They failed.   A few months ago, Apple asked EPEAT to approve the new Retina Macbook Pro. EPEAT said, "No. You can't dismantle it with tools you find at...
  And watch for the same people who said that Maps was a disaster, who will now say it wasn't that bad and Cook was weak for apologising.   "Look, I own a full-sized inflatable giraffe and shares in a lap-dancing club in Scunthorpe; so when I tell you Steve would have never apologised for anything, then you know I speak the living truth!"
    An anti-Apple friend of mine is going to buy an iPod Touch after reading the apology. Up until that point he thought that Apple was run by 'fashionistas with a God complex' (whatever that means).   I think the 'apology' was a good move. Staying quiet would simply give sites (like this one) an excuse to carry out more tests, write more articles, and keep the whole thing rolling for months. The letter will get the vocal faithful back on board, which will bring the...
  Seconded,
They 'shipped' 20 million in 100 days, which, unfortunately, is not the same same as 'sold'.   But here's something that will cheer you up: Samsung has announced that S4 will go on sale in February 2013, sporting a 5-inch (Mother of God!) screen.   http://geekchunk.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s4-coming-out-in-februarythe-company-announces/   The first few days of iPhone sales have placed Samsung's management in such a state of terror that they've committed the worst possible...
Had a look at a few of them at the local Apple church.   Despite being handled by hundreds of people, they all looked great. Ridiculously light and very nice to hold. Played around with it for a few minutes and realised that Ive was right: the longer screen works nicely with one thumb. I can imagine it will scratch if you put a key to it, so perhaps it's best not to put a key to it. The new connector is tiny but solid. Fits in with a nice snap so you know it's...
Mmm. No.   The jury decided that a number of APIs (not the JVM, my mistake) had been infringed upon. The judge decided that no harm was done and so Google didn't have to pay any money. The decision was odd because taking Java and moving the packages and APIs around  was precisely why Microsoft lost a similar case years before.    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/oracle-wins-on-infringement-jury-stuck-on-googles-fair-use-argument/75810   The patent case was a separate issue,...
  Good question.   The LiquidMetal stuff isn't ready yet, and if they can't make it suitable for manufacturing in huge quantities then they could drop it altogether.    If they can do it then the win in terms of manufacturing costs, speed of production and durability of the finished product will be immense.
  Actually, it should be usurped quicker than that. The problem is that it will be 'usurped' by a phone with cheap plastic body, poor battery life and running laggy apps on top of a stolen JVM.   The speed is a nice bonus, but that's not what makes it a better phone.