or Connect

Posts by Neruda

According to "sources" over at MOSR (http://www.macosrumors.com/33004M.html) the next generation Powermacs will sport new chips based on Power5 (975) architecture. Is one of these sources Nostradamus, a paid crack-head informant , or does anyone think these rumors are feasible? Also, is all of this rampart speculation about rev.b powermac in the works preventing anyone from purchasing a PowerMac? I've always wondered what effect, if any, these rumors have on potential...
I don't question Apple's track record as an innovator, I question its business plan/strategy.You've contradicted yourself in those two sentences, Amorth You say they haven't failed to do anything and then you say that they've failed to get results, which is exactly my point. Something must be done.
This is the point I'm making Jade, and a relative lack of knowledge on the consumer side negates any comparison of Mac/PC specs. How many people came in with such detailed research/spec information as you have given in your previous post when they came in to buy a computer? Zero? 1-2%? The point is that MOST people are not as informed, so no matter how great you tell them a Mac is, they'll choose the cheaper PC. Amorph: 1) Yes, NT was part SGI's downfall, the other,...
Exactly! This is the point that I think most people on these boads and Mac fans in general are failing to grasp. Just because WE know the benefits of owning a Mac, doesn't mean that a) general consumers know this, or b) that these benefits are enough to overcome the perceived "expensive" prices of Macs. I can give so many examples of this, but this one will do: My fiancee's sister needed to buy a laptop for college. I explained all of the benefits of owning a Powerbook or...
Exactly, so what can Apple do about this? As a former PC user I know that there are a lot of intangibles built into Macs that make them worth their price (hardware/software integration, OSX, security, easy of use....) but as history has shown, technological superiority does not necessarily equal market success.By bringing prices closer to competitor's prices (a major factor that dissuades people from bying Macs).OS X alone is more than worth it, so yes, I agree, Apple is...
The assumption that Macs are more expensive is just that, an assumption, but it is one that often plays a crucial role in people's purchasing decisions. The surest way that Apple is going to combat this assumtion is not by TCO analysis, but by significantly reducing their prices, IMO. Also, I agree that these price points are probably too optimistic, but the point that I was trying to make with the iPods is that Apple is considering lowering profit margins for the sake of...
Yes, we did. There are other threads on this topic, but no one is forcing you to read/post to them If you don't want to add anything to this particular discussion other than the fact that there are other discussions, JUST SKIP IT, or then again, don't.You would problably say no, I obviously thought yes. Now back to the topic, please.
True, theoretically speaking, market share could diminish while at the same time Apple increases its customer base. This is not happening, however. Total number of units sold are down from last year and down SIGNIFICANTLY since Apple's heyday (6+million units sold/year). That said, I understand your theory, but just how much money do you want Apple to lose in order to gain an extra 0.1% share. I didn't say that I wanted Apple to loose money to increase markeshare, I said...
http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=39143 I wanted to offer a counterpoint to the above thread and argue reasons why Apple should lower all of their prices in order to increase its market share. http://www.macobserver.com/article/2004/01/15.15.shtml A recent article on Appleinsider's front page suggested that Apple would lower the prices of the iPod's to increase marketshare while making up for the loss in profit margins on volume. This makes perfect...
Pentium killer, no problem. Avid killer, Avid kills all aps for OS X in year... Dito for Protools... AE killer, Adobe kills AE, joining a number of apps that they've discontinued for OS X... I'm no sure that Apple killing these apps for OS X is a good thing. Sure, competition is a good thing, but with the advantages that Apple has over all third party software makers obviates competition. Faced with this, companies have chosen not to even bother competing (citing low...