or Connect

Posts by Drealoth

That's what I think these partnerships are about. With Passport, the big problem is that QR codes are pretty clunky, which NFC would change in a big way. Certain players here - Airports, movie theaters chains, convenience store chains, etc., will have no problem getting the hardware distributed, and Apple would have no problem manufacturing it. While you might not think so, Apple does need to stay hungry - the scariest thing about Apple getting big is that they get...
I think that this all points to Apple having NFC for the iPhone 5.   Think about it - the iPhone hasn't had a big feature upgrade in years. Siri was a bit of a flop, and while things have been refined, competition is as fierce as it has ever been. Apple needs a big step forward. So what I think's going to happen is Passport is going to change things in a big way. With NFC, you'll be able to take your phone out - and, without even turning it on - check in to your...
Pretty excited about the new Kindle Paperwhite. If the screen is as nice as it sounds, I'll be picking one up soon. Kinda a terrible name, though.   I think the big thing is going to be data - at $50/year, that puts the 9" Kindle Fire at over $400 cheaper than the iPad for the first year. If the Kindle Fire 1 was any indication, it won't be anywhere as nice as the iPad, but if people are just using it to read, surf the net and watch movies, it'll definitely be...
This is the standard technique, as far as I know: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect2=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&RefSrch=yes&Query=PN/5963671 which seems pretty similar. In particular, "attractant, such as color intensity, or size, is used for emphasis to make a soft keyboard user cognizant of the location of the subset of characters that the user is most likely to select to standout from the other keys of the...
Selfish, I know, but I am really enjoying getting to see all of these prototype designs.
  Most modern screens run at 60Hz (some higher end ones run at 120Hz or beyond), which means they redraw 60 times per second. 60Hz (or frames per second) is really smooth - the iPhone's UI looks smooth in transitions because the OS is able to redraw the screen 60 times per second, constantly. When you see choppiness on your iPhone, it's because the screen isn't being redrawn 60 times per second - due to processing, for example, it might only get drawn 20 times, which...
I'm probably alone in this, but I'm a bit disappointed with the Retina MacBook. Hardware wise, it's beautiful - I couldn't even begin to criticize it from this angle - but it's the first Mac in years that hasn't run at a constant 60fps, which I think was not a great compromise to make. It looks like they took some design cues from Android - swiping between desktops is choppy, scrolling is choppy. That screen is sure amazing though. It's hard to look at other screens...
The one thing that I don't like about my iPad is that I have to carry a bag of some sort if I want to take it somewhere (at which point I typically just grab my laptop instead). On the flip side, I have the $80 Kindle, which fits in my jean pocket and goes everywhere with me. So if this is portable enough that at the very least you can fit it in a jacket pocket, it would be a big win for me.
  P/E ratio is a very bad measure of how a company is doing, since earnings are affected by capital expenditures. For example, if Apple was to one quarter decide to aggressively expand their stores, they would end up spending a lot of money, which would cause their earnings per share to decline, which in turn would cause their P/E ratio to skyrocket. It would be the same Apple as it was the quarter before (albeit with more stores), yet their P/E ratio would be much much...
Who wants to bet that since this whole thing started, the legal fees paid by both sides was greater than the potential profits on the sales of the Galaxy Nexus for the same period of time?