or Connect

Posts by Drealoth

Woah woah woah, did you even read the wiki page? You're twisting their words! These people aren't asking for forever - that would be unconstitutional! They're much too reasonable for that - all that they want is "forever less one day". ;)
 How long did it take you to come up with that list of ideas? They are at least as novel as Slide to Unlock. If you were to pay some money to patent all of those, do you think that you would deserve a 20 year monopoly on all of those methods of unlocking a phone? That's 6 patents, that'd cost you about $20,000. Not a ton of money. Heck, you could probably patent "recognizing a predefined pattern from the accelerometer to unlock a phone.", and only need one patent for #3,...
That's good. Nobody should ever be allowed to copy Siri's binary and make it run on a Windows phone (without Apple's consent). Nobody should be allowed to use Apple's source code without their consent either. 10 years from now, 50 years from now, ever. Same with trademark - nobody should be allowed to release a phone called the iPhone, or a piece of software called Siri, or put the Apple logo on their device, except for Apple. I'm totally happy with Apple having a...
That's very different - Apple is protected by trademark and copyright laws. Other companies can't sell phones with the Apple logo on them, or with iOS installed on them. They can't call their phones iPhones, or even jPhones or iFones. They can't even write code that would emulate an iPhone and make it so that iPhone apps are used. Even design patents (which are separate from software patents) protect the appearance of the devices - see the Galaxy Tab injunction, for...
Posner's right. What we need are strong copyright and trademark laws - patent laws are too arbitrary, too difficult to enforce, and end up creating these huge legal deadlocks. I think that the comparison to pharma is correct - trademark laws aren't going to protect a drug that a company spent $500 million bringing to market, when a generic company can synthesize it for $2 a pill.
The counterpoint to that is that, if Google had all of the parts, does Apple deserve a monopoly just for putting them all together in the right fashion? Apple certainly showed them the way, but at the same time I think that Google showed them a lot of what was possible with voice recognition and search. In any case, what Apple does get out of this is the advantage of being the first to market. Ask someone what S Voice is, and they will tell you it's "Samsung's Siri...
  The aggressive lawsuits with their software patent things are fairly new for them, it seems. I wonder how much of this is a relic of Jobs' feverish last few years (I'm saying this with a lot of respect - the man had a mission, and knew that he had very little time left to execute on it), or an actual shift in direction of the company. I think that this is fundamentally different than design patents too - if you look at GEM, or S Voice, or the Galaxy Tab, those are...
I'm pretty sick of these patent lawsuits. In part, I worry that it represents the MBAs taking over the visionary company. Apple is doing a fantastic job - the iPhone is brilliant. 50 years from now, people will still talk about the iPhone (and probably not the HTC One X) and iPad (and not the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1). I think that it's inexcusable for Samsung and Google to use FRAND patents in the way that they did, but I also think that it's inexcusable for Apple to...
By 2016, I feel like we are going to see a lot more tablets similar to the Asus Transformer series, but with more full featured operating systems. If Apple ever released an 11" MacBook air where the screen could detach and be used as an iPad, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I don't think that'll happen immediately, but in the next few years I see it as a definite possibility.
18 years. The patent, 6,343,263 expires in August, 2014. Really goes to show how ahead of its time Apple was, even before its meteoric rise to glory in the past 8 or so years.