or Connect

Posts by Drealoth

Looking at it another way:   Apple's share is up 5.6% Microsoft's share is up 2.6% Android's share is up 1.6% And RIM... oh RIM. RIM's share is down almost 15%.   I think that last bit is the most remarkable part of this data. I don't think I've seen a fall from grace as fast as RIM's. Deserved, for sure, but startling none the less.
Good.   I consider myself both technically savvy and pretty up to date with technology, and I mistook the Galaxy Tab for an iPad at first glance ("That's a strange looking iPad... wait a second, that's not an iPad at all!"). It's a complete knock-off. Other Android tablet manufacturers have proven that they can manufacture tablets without being derivative (look at Asus's Transformer series - oh how I would love for Apple to do something like that with the MacBook...
As far as I can tell, Apple hasn't posted the bond yet - does anyone have any idea why?
If the patent were specific, that wouldn't be a problem.   Consider Swipe to Unlock. Nifty feature - does it deserve a 20 year monopoly? I don't think so. Trademarks stop people from blatantly copying it, and the western market anyway does not like knockoffs. The views are very different - on the Nexus, you swipe right from the middle to unlock, left to turn on the camera, with Apple, it's the left to right motion it has always been. Apple contests that all swiping is an...
Correct me if I am wrong here, but while Siri is certainly covered by this patent, I feel like it doesn't just cover Siri.   When I was in university - before the iPhone was rumored to exist - I made a program that would tell you when someone was born. You would enter "Gandhi", and it would (with a little luck) say October 2, 1869. My technique was pretty simple: I kicked off a Google search for "When was X born?", crawled the first five results for dates (by matching...
This sucks.   Not because of the Apple versus Samsung thing - frankly, Samsung has been more shameless than most in knocking off Apple products. I thought that the Galaxy Tab lawsuit was pretty silly, but then I was in Best Buy, and I walked past one and did a double take - my first thought was "something looks wrong with that iPad". Compare this to the Kindle Fire, or the Asus Transformer - at least the other companies are trying something different.   But...
Apple can never relax. They've gotten this far because they've pushed the boundaries consistently and driven the market, but history counts for very little - if they ever lose that fuel, the next guy in line will overtake them. I'm pretty impressed with the Nexus 7 - it shows that Google is willing to push their platform, and I do think that they are becoming very competitive with iOS. While it's certainly not a direct shot, I can imagine that its success will eat into...
Really digging this, it looks like Google has a bit of game in them after all, I am surprised. It seems like they took a lot of inspiration from Metro too, without being derivative.   The Compass feature looks especially nifty.
They're not doing a great job so far. It's pretty much common knowledge that Apple will produce a new iPhone, and it will have a screen that is larger, smaller or the same size as the current one. There are also fairly well substantiated rumors (as Apple Insider posts almost daily) that the new iPhone will look similar or different to the current iPhone.
Honestly, I really hope that we don't write off the physical keyboard from phones entirely. I have a Droid 4 (as well as many other phones...), and while the iPhone's soft keyboard is fantastic, for long text I find a good physical keyboard  preferable. Even with the slide-out, for short typing (entering URLs, text messages), I used the soft keyboard - which I might add is not even in the same league as Apple's - but I really do appreciate having the mix.   I am sure...